TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

The question is: Is how popular is Vortex? Matt always has said that guests vote with their feet, if the numbers are up, it's not going anywhere soon. (Same with Carowinds' Vortex) If it's (they are) not popular, then it might be wise to remove each for smaller parks, do the floorless conversion, and build new rides in their places.

But in the end, I think CGA's will remain since it's so well fit into the limited space. Not sure about Carowinds, they have some impressive new rides going in, it might be time to relocate theirs and build another record breaker as Cedar Fair continues to grow the park with more expensive machines.

If they were to remove Vortex, the land locked park would have room for better improvements

If CGA removes Vortex, then the already lackluster coaster lineup will be even worse. CGA is getting left behind by SFDK, especially with the RMC Joker debuting next year. Gold Striker is a great ride, but everything else at the park is just kinda meh. Vortex is by no means a great coaster but it's better than no coaster. Converting it to a floorless would definitely be an improvement, but it's not gonna bring people to the park.

Your post just proves by its best to replace it with something better. You just proved my point for me

CGA's space is far from maximized, as we already know, even by American-standards (forget Gröna Lund). Is CGA wanted to invest the capital, the coaster will be built and we've seen how everything from B&M hypers (Goliath@SFOG) to S&S 4D Free Spins (Batman@SFFT) to Premier launchers (Superman: Ultimate Flight@SFDK). Bottom-line: If they want B&M, S&S, Intamin, etc. to build something in their small footprint, it will be built.

Especially if ::cough:: when ::cough:: they finally remove the old Thunder Raceway, I'd expect the next major attraction to anchor that corner of the park, especially after Invertigo's departure.

This was interesting to see on the park's youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klWLjEHYS3g#t=36.

Just came across the video CGA put out this season for the new Great America Pavilion. First glimpse I've seen from the park-side of how this dynamic between Levi's Stadium and CGA will play out on camera (given that the park must be closed during the 49ers home games). It's interesting to finally see how these CGA Red Zone Rally 49ers pre-game parties are playing out in real-time. I also didn't know CGA was charging $85 standard admission per Rally per game (not including parking for $40 !

I feel really slow, but it now makes total since why they so aggressively painted Flight Deck red and white as part of the Great America Pavilion/49ers renovation after this video.

Credit: CGA 2015

Edited by vertigomike

Send Vortex to MiA and convert it to floorless in the process. MiA gets a smooth looping coaster and CGA has the space for a Chance GTX. Win-win!

Or one step closer for the first Cedar Fair Parking Lot Tailgate Experience park.

I'm seriously wondering if a exec over at Cedar fair is going " why did we buy CGA?"

Send Vortex to MiA and convert it to floorless in the process. MiA gets a smooth looping coaster and CGA has the space for a Chance GTX. Win-win!

That's actually an excellent idea, in my opinion! I know as a Michigander, I'd be happy with that... compared to nothing, or something smaller.

Or one step closer for the first Cedar Fair Parking Lot Tailgate Experience park.

I'm seriously wondering if a exec over at Cedar fair is going " why did we buy CGA?"

CF actually had CGA sold. The deal fell through last second though

Smooth? LOL

Compared to MiA's other offerings I think so! It doesn't take much to be smoother than an old Arrow and a relocated SLC.

Umm, Cedar Fair *does* own CGA.

edit: Oh, nevermind. They did try to sell it and thats what you meant.

Umm, Cedar Fair *does* own CGA.

No one has said that they don't own CGA. There was a deal on the table to sell the park that fell through.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2011/09/19/cedar-fair-sells-great-america-for-70m.html

^We try not to talk too much about that moment. Was it a lucrative opportunity for CedarFair? Sure, but it still feels in a way that CGA is the ugly child that CedarFair tried to kill in its sleep. If Cedar Fair could divest from any park, they'd probably do CGA at the right price in a heartbeat.

CGA is not going anywhere. It is sitting idle while the park try's to pass a new rezoning because currently, they can't build more than 25feet without extensive city approvals and permits. This is why GoldStriker got stuck in the political trap. Investments made into the park won't be vertical ones until this new plan goes through. I live next to CGA and will get to weigh in. CGA will thrive off of new business ventures (dark rides, ride conversions, planet snoopy upgrade, events) until they can drop in a serious B&M to end speculation of being sold (or being the Bastard of Cedar Fair)!

CGA is not going anywhere. It is sitting idle while the park try's to pass a new rezoning because currently, they can't build more than 25feet without extensive city approvals and permits. This is why GoldStriker got stuck in the political trap. Investments made into the park won't be vertical ones until this new plan goes through. I live next to CGA and will get to weigh in. CGA will thrive off of new business ventures (dark rides, ride conversions, planet snoopy upgrade, events) until they can drop in a serious B&M to end speculation of being sold (or being the Bastard of Cedar Fair)!

Just curious where you are getting this info? I'm not saying it's wrong just wondering, as I work in maintenance at the park and haven't heard anything about this.

It's not like they tell us everything though, I heard the rumor about vortex the same as everyone here, and then heard it probably wasn't going to happen/got pushed back a little while ago but I couldn't really say anything here.

I will say though that there IS a general feeling among the maintenance staff that CGA IS in fact the ugly stepchild of the Cedar Fair chain. Apparently when they took over for paramount they gained the nickname among the full-timers as "cheaper fair". I will say this, there is SOMETHING going on at the action fx theatre. I don't know what exactly because I keep hearing different people say different things like maybe we are only re-doing one side or both, or what kind of ride system it will be [stationary vr type or more like knott's voyage].

In other news RE: Haunt, those that were fans of the Blood Drums show, or Street Drum Corps [the band that were the stars of that show], they are back this year with an act on the sideshow stage called "Toy Drum Corps", complete with light up drummer boy uniforms and a DJ. I'll admit it's not anything like Blood Drums, but worth checking out. Also, the new Evacuate scare zone I think is really well done. Chime back in with your reviews of the new stuff this year, I'm curious to what everyone thinks of Insanitaryum especially...