TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

It's been a while since I've bought a pass from CGA or Knott's, but does a Platinum pass get you into both Haunts? It's been a few years since I've been to CGA Haunt but I really want to make it this year and hopefully Knott's as well!

Platinum will get you into both parks + CGA haunt. Knotts Scary Farm is extra

Gold Pass for CGA does work for Haunt, correct? And it would still work for Haunt next year?

This is true. Gold pass includes parking and CGA Haunt this year and the year your pass is validated.

Rest assured, CGA's Vortex absolutely sucks. One of my least favorite coasters ever. Thankfully it's really short

THIS

Rest assured, CGA's Vortex absolutely sucks. One of my least favorite coasters ever. Thankfully it's really short

Based on the POV it looks like it would make a really fun (though unorthodox) floorless. I still think they need to leave the Carowinds Vortex alone though and that's the only standup I'll say that about. The layout is way too boring without the standup gimmick and it's actually an enjoyable coaster.

Although I agree that Vortex is a total piece of crap, I don't get the point of converting it since the Bay Area already has a floorless coaster is much taller and faster, and has way more Inversion than Vortex (Which is very, VERY import to the GP.). Think about it, you see two commercials: one advertises a new floorless ride at CGA (Which if you're from the area then you would most likely know that SFDK has a much bigger one), and the second advertises a crazy new hybrid ride at the SAME park where you can ride the taller, faster, and "Loopier" floorless ride. And even with new trains, it seems like all they would be doing is making it more tolerable, it's still not a very exciting layout. Having it meet Mr. Wrecking Ball would be the best thing to ever happen to that ride, but oh well. One can dream.

1251386929_CGAHaunt.jpg.8ad7d05b6f67dcc9bb06db590aab91fa.jpg

NEW MAZE AT GREAT AMERICA’S HALLOWEEN HAUNT OPENING SEPTEMBER 25

We’ll Scare The Yell Out Of You With 9 Mazes & 3 New Scare Zones

Demon, Drop Tower, Gold Striker And Flight Deck Rides Add To The Thrills

SANTA CLARA, CA – Halloween Haunt at California’s Great America, the Bay Area’s premier Halloween spectacular, will begin terrifying guests September 25. Haunt runs Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, and keeps the evil running through Halloween. All guests 13 and older are invited to Face Their Fears!

Scare times on Fridays and Saturdays run from 7pm-Midnight through October 11, and Halloween Haunt mazes continue the horror through 1am on Fridays and Saturdays from October 16-31. Halloween Haunt is open 7pm-Midnight on Sundays and will open at 7:30pm on October 4 and 18.

Halloween Haunt’s eighth horrifying season debuts one horrific maze and three freakish new scare zones. inSANITORIUM takes mazes to a frightening new level, while the frightful walks of Killer Clown Town, Evacuate! and Lockdown create terror throughout the park.

Halloween Haunt’s eight returning haunted mazes include: Dia De Los Muertos, Zombie High, Wax Museum Chamber of Horrors, Roadkill Road House, CornStalkers, Madame Marie’s Massacre Manor, Mirror Mirror and Toy Factory.

“Halloween Haunt is the Bay Area’s premier Halloween event,” said California’s Great America Vice President and General Manager Raul Rehnborg. “The in-your-face mazes and experiences, mixed in with the scare zones, shows and rides, create the perfect Halloween dynamic.”

Halloween Haunt’s four Live Shows bring additional frights and shrills to Great America. The hideous Academy of Villains, outdoor acrobatic Nytewalkers, incredible aerial Blades of Horror and the misfit performers of Sideshow will leave guests dying for more.

For 2015, Fright Lane passes will transport guests to the front of maze lines and provide Skeleton Key access to five gruesome and gory experiences where only brave souls dare venture.

Beginning October 9, The Haunt Boofet, located in Great America Pavilion from 5-7pm (except for October 18), includes an all-you-can-eat fried chicken meal for as low $13.99 online.

Tickets can be found online at www.cagreatamerica.com/haunt with free admission for 2015 and 2016 Gold Pass holders. Students can receive discounted admission by showing their valid student ID.

Halloween Haunt is intended for guests 13 and older.

THE GREAT PUMPKIN FEST

For the younger set from September 5 – November 1, The Great Pumpkin Fest takes over Great America during daytime hours (closed Oct. 4 & 18 for 49ers games) and features trick-or-treating with Snoopy and the Peanuts Gang, pumpkin decorating, a hay maze and coloring.

Although I agree that Vortex is a total piece of crap, I don't get the point of converting it since the Bay Area already has a floorless coaster is much taller and faster, and has way more Inversion than Vortex (Which is very, VERY import to the GP.). Think about it, you see two commercials: one advertises a new floorless ride at CGA (Which if you're from the area then you would most likely know that SFDK has a much bigger one), and the second advertises a crazy new hybrid ride at the SAME park where you can ride the taller, faster, and "Loopier" floorless ride. And even with new trains, it seems like all they would be doing is making it more tolerable, it's still not a very exciting layout. Having it meet Mr. Wrecking Ball would be the best thing to ever happen to that ride, but oh well. One can dream.

Because it's a cheap way to market something "new"

^Exactly. Regardless of what some other park may have, it's still something new the park offers. And if it draws in more customers, or even makes the ride more popular, it will be a success. Which is exactly what CGA want's it to be. Win, win.

Based on the POV it looks like it would make a really fun (though unorthodox) floorless. I still think they need to leave the Carowinds Vortex alone though and that's the only standup I'll say that about. The layout is way too boring without the standup gimmick and it's actually an enjoyable coaster.

Agreed, I would like to see CF renocmvate all the old stand-upd and give them floorless trains. Maybe we will see more of that in the future once they can get a full years worth of data from Rougaru.

Agreed, I would like to see CF renocmvate all the old stand-upd and give them floorless trains. Maybe we will see more of that in the future once they can get a full years worth of data from Rougaru.

Rougarou has really not held it's popularity well. In May there was a long-long LONG line all day long, in June the line all day had shrunk considerably, in July Rougarou was a walk-on a fair amount, and Yesterday was a walk-on most of the day. It wasn't very busy at CP yesterday anyway, but the other 3 days were. I don't know if the data will be very positive.

Rougarou has really not held it's popularity well. In May there was a long-long LONG line all day long, in June the line all day had shrunk considerably, in July Rougarou was a walk-on a fair amount, and Yesterday was a walk-on most of the day. It wasn't very busy at CP yesterday anyway, but the other 3 days were. I don't know if the data will be very positive.
But that decline also corresponds with the winding down of summer. The park is less busy this time of year anyway, so it stands to reason that any ride, including Rougarou, would have shorter lines. I think it's much to early to call the entire concept a bust in the first year. Line size aside, every review I've heard has been positive. It's nothing world altering, but the consensus I've seen is that it's a more enjoyable ride than Mantis was.

I guess my thoughts on Vortex, now that I've read some of your posts, is that CF should have saved the money on what the conversion will cost. They should have left Vortex as is until CF was ready to install their next coaster and completely remove Vortex at that point. But, they are the professionals. I just feel like with Medusa being so close, this conversion will be kind of lack luster. But I could be very wrong.

I guess my thoughts on Vortex, now that I've read some of your posts, is that CF should have saved the money on what the conversion will cost. They should have left Vortex as is until CF was ready to install their next coaster and completely remove Vortex at that point. But, they are the professionals. I just feel like with Medusa being so close, this conversion will be kind of lack luster. But I could be very wrong.

Send the whole thing to Michigan's adventure or valleyfair and convert it to floorless and they would be thrilled!

in July Rougarou was a walk-on a fair amount,

I was there in July as well, the wait was longer or just as long as MF all day on a Saturday. Keep in mind that this coaster has three train operation now, instead of the usual two.

The ride's ridership has increased considerably this season, so that makes it a success.

How are crowds on opening weekend? We want to go the first sunday (the 27th) but not sure if we should get the fright lane. I got fright lane last year and was worth it since we went mid October but not sure if its worth getting on this day.

you couldn't pick a better day. the first couple of Sunday's usually have walk-on/in's for everything.

Here is a trip report for yesterday. We started off on Gold Striker, which had a fairly long line. (We didn't get there right when the park opened.) My friend had never gone on it before. I paid $5 to use the dryer for the both of us after we rode Rip Roaring Rapids because we both got really wet. (I don't think I've ever gotten this wet before on this particular ride.) For the second time, I got really bad cramps after doing the wave pool. As we were about to do H.M.B. Endeavor, it stopped working. I really like that the park plays oldies rock music. On the whole, the lines moved well, with the big exception being Tasmanian Typhoon in Boomerang Bay. It didn’t exactly have a long line, but it was getting people on the ride that seemed so slow. Overall, we had a really good time.

So are they going to announce Vortex's closing and the floorless conversion soon? I'd assume they'd have to close the ride and start the conversion process fairly soon if they want to have it ready for opening day next year.

So are they going to announce Vortex's closing and the floorless conversion soon? I'd assume they'd have to close the ride and start the conversion process fairly soon if they want to have it ready for opening day next year.

How complicated is putting a new train and station in? Did it take long at the other park that had the conversion? I really wish the SFDK coaster was coming to CGA instead!!!!!!

^

Seems like the conversion process took about 5 months, give or take a few weeks for Rougarou, but I guess they might be able to get it done faster here since CGA doesn't have to deal with the weather that Cedar Point does.