TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

It is extremely short compared to other inverted coasters. Vortex is also short.

If you can go through the whole park in 1.5 hours, something's wrong, they gotta step it up soon

Are there any other parks in the world that have them in the same gate?

I believe Holiday World, Six Flags New England, Six Flags America, and Six Flags Great Escape are all inclusive. I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones I know off hand

And I personally think CGA is a better all around park, yes SFDK has better coasters but they also have slow operartions, a cramped layout, and a more worn down look compared to CGA. Just my .02 though

It is extremely short compared to other inverted coasters. Vortex is also short.

If you can go through the whole park in 1.5 hours, something's wrong, they gotta step it up soon

This is my main issue with CGA, and why I feel SFDK is a much better park. Flight Deck, Vortex, and Demon are all incredibly short. Personally, I feel like adding the water park was a horrible move back in the day. I feel like a water park and an amusement park are activities for 2 separate days, and that spaxe could be (and was) used for another top notch coaster. Are there any other parks in the world that have them in the same gate?

I believe Hershey Park does if I am not mistaken. Funny difference that when I go to CGA people seem to be at one or the other without switching back and forth. However (years ago) when I was at Hershey there seemed to be plenty of people who were there for both the amusement park AND the water park.

This is my main issue with CGA, and why I feel SFDK is a much better park. Flight Deck, Vortex, and Demon are all incredibly short. Personally, I feel like adding the water park was a horrible move back in the day. I feel like a water park and an amusement park are activities for 2 separate days, and that spaxe could be (and was) used for another top notch coaster. Are there any other parks in the world that have them in the same gate?

Almost all Cedar Fair parks have a free water park... Carowinds, Kings Dominion, Kings Island, Michigan's Adventure, Worlds Of Fun, Valley Fair, Canada's Wonderland and Dorney Park. If I am at say Carowinds, and I have the time I will go to the water park to ride a couple of slides. Plus water parks cut down on ride wait times during the summer!

I'm heading there for the first time next Friday, but does anyone know how much more land Six Flags Great America sits on? Looking through greatamericaparks.com it appears as if they both had the same or very similar original footprints. Figure they could carve out some land from the redwood amphitheatre? Maybe the whitewater falls and upcharge swing spot?? Invertigarden? Part of the employee parking lot/staging area?

And please don't get me wrong- I am EXTREMELY grateful for Gold Striker. That ride is a godsend for us over here

I rode Gold Striker again and it is riding as well as it did in its first season. The only difference between Gold Striker in 2013 and 2015 is that it has a significant drop in the wait time now, which I am completely fine with.

Also, I noticed Grizzly's amazing operations, man, they were sending trains every five minutes, that's a new record.

^^ I see your point, but think about how many parks in close proximity to each other have a Vekoma Boomerang, and then give them the same name. I'm not saying a Skyrocket should go into CGA, I'm just saying its not impossible.

^^ I see your point, but think about how many parks in close proximity to each other have a Vekoma Boomerang, and then give them the same name. I'm not saying a Skyrocket should go into CGA, I'm just saying its not impossible.

Granted I am not really a credit whore to the point I know the locations of all the Boomerangs...so I don't think this is actually common?

There are two identical B&M inverted coasters in San Antonio ...

but I don't think Cedar Fair will put a clone of anything at SFDK in their park. The question is will they put anything there, other than more parking for football.

Which day should be more crowded – Sun. 8/16 (National Roller Coaster Day) or Sat. 8/15 (season pass early entry day)? Thanks.

Saturdays are always busier anyway, National Roller Coaster Day won't change that. In fact CGA might be a little less crowded because some people went to SFDK instead on 8/16 being Roar's last day.

Who else thinks a Sky Rocket II model couldfit in the invertigarden.

How bout a clone of the just announced Gale Force by S&S that's going in Ocean City, NJ? Same compact footprint, not the exact same as closest competitor park has, although a similar concept

How bout a clone of the just announced Gale Force by S&S that's going in Ocean City, NJ? Same compact footprint, not the exact same as closest competitor park has, although a similar concept

I think that would work well, and I'd love it.

i retract my statement, that would work much better.

i retract my statement, that would work much better.

Does anybody have any predictions or knowledge of any future coasters at this park?

I'll put my two cents in before asking:

I think it'd be a good idea to put an Intamin Impulse coaster like Wicked Twister from Cedar Point in the old Tidal Wave location. Surprisingly the old station is still intact and it could easily be converted into another coaster in my opinion.

And whatever happened to the supposed 2012 attraction that was supposed to be built on the old Invertigo location. I'm not exactly sure if a Giant Inverted Boomerang would fit but I think that would make a nice replacement. (That is if Cedar Fair is willing to shell out any money for this park )

Lastly, I think Grizzly and Demon should be torn down and replaced with one big coaster of some sort (whatever would fit in the space).

California's Great America is my home park. I just got back from a trip to SF Great America and was blown away. It was both exhilarating and depressing being able to see what kind of potential this park layout can provide. The classic charm and theming is all still present in Gurnee while it seems like everything has been stripped from Santa Clara.

It felt like taking a time machine back to the 80's being able to see all of the classic rides, buildings and walkways all still intact. I loved comparing and contrasting everything and got a whole new perspective on what **could** be possible at our park. The way they fit in X-Flight, Goliath, Batman, Superman, V2 etc. shows that anything is possible if the $$ is there. We could easily have that same goliath in the same exact spot, who the hell rides those go-carts anyway!?!?! Bottom line is there's plenty of room, TOO MUCH ROOM!!!

I encourage checking out that park if only for nostalgia reasons... it was awesome!!

IMG_3738.thumb.JPG.c376328df6849a8accf7f4b36cf4bf35.JPG

curving around looking back at the carousel (from our goldstriker exit)

IMG_3739.thumb.JPG.bb8611248fd9c34213325e2244e66d5b.JPG

hanging a right out of the goldstriker exit/giftshop towards town sqaure

IMG_3750.thumb.JPG.4ad8c341518b253d3f2e44ada38148b7.JPG

looking at the still intact train station from our subway/theater spot

IMG_3806.thumb.JPG.f74fa5daff01ed096b5127e9b80c3aed.JPG

looking right down the walkway going toward madame marie's (from train station)

IMG_3797.thumb.JPG.1a92e136eb94534a55bf3490a690aabf.JPG

Hey look! Rue Le Dodge! Only its un-neutered without the center divide and you can drive wherever the hell you want!

IMG_3787.thumb.JPG.a5548a9d8f50d32fb7d644cdca226fcc.JPG

Their scrambler is still called fiddlers fling and has the fun canopy's on top!!

IMG_3737.thumb.JPG.1ff15a65cbbdb3f57e377d71976a4d6a.JPG

there's even a park model on display in that same shop where our goldstriker exit is

IMG_3734.thumb.JPG.08221a85d2a58b55bf13612f7ec5d0d2.JPG

I will say that we have the superior entrance with the fountains and palm trees

^What day did you go to SFGAm? Yesterday? I'm just curious if you went on a weekday to see what the crowds were like, since I'm going next week.

BTW, the model of CGA was pretty cool! You say that was in the SFGAm shop?

I went there last Friday and it was busy. We got platinum flash pass and I HIGHLY recommend it as lines looked as long as 2 hours for some rides. Also make sure to get your tickets/season passes before heading over because since they destroyed the ticket booths outside there is only ONE makeshift ticket counter and the line was off the hook. The double rides were great, the employees helped out in telling people why we were staying on so there was no awkwardness (opposite from SFMM), and it included 2x on Goliath. The single rider option was available on Goliath, however they only had something like 8 single rider passes at a time. If they were out, you were out.

Ya the park model was in the gift shop right before the pictorium entrance if you head to the right when you walk in. I heard that CGA has a model of tidal wave in one of their offices which is cool, but the whole park model is incredible (BEAT AGAIN!!).

All I gotta say is middle finger to Paramount for tearing us a new one.

Also where our employee/backstaging area between vortex and firefall all the way back to scrambler is HUGE! Tons of space. SFGAm used all that space up for rides... CGA please take a hint and throw some money into new rides, there's plenty of room.

^Thanks for the feedback! We can barely afford to even make the trip out, so FlashPass is certainly not an option for us... Hopefully, being a Wednesday, we have a little better luck with the crowds. (There's projected to be scattered thunderstorms that day, so maybe that'll scare some people away!)