TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^ As far as I know the only backup to this rumor so far is Jason McClure from Cedar Point mentioning it to the local Cleveland news.

I haven't been following 2016 speculation too much, but if Cedar Point's general manager, Jason McClure, is telling the truth then a Rougarou-like conversion is going to happen. Vortex to become floorless and get paint/new name?

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20150614/NEWS/306149989/surging-cedar-fair-isnt-just-enjoying-the-ride?X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

This year, however, Cedar Point unveiled Rougarou, a complete reimagining of its aging Mantis rollercoaster. Mantis was billed as the tallest standup rollercoaster in the world when it opened in 1996, but in recent years its ridership had waned and it had earned a reputation as being one of the more uncomfortable coasters in the park. The move, which appears to have been embraced by most coaster fanatics, transformed the stand-up coaster into a more conventional, floorless sit-down coaster.

The park's general manager, Jason McClure, described the transformation as like “trading in a box truck for a Corvette.” He added, “You're still on the turnpike, but it's a completely different experience,” McClure said. Witherow said Cedar Fair plans to do the same with other aging coasters in its portfolio, including one next year at its park near San Francisco.

^ I would have to say that pretty much 100% confirms it. Take it from me. My only hope is that we upgrade/rehab/replace some of the ancient components to the ride while doing the conversion.

While this is great for the vortex, and good for the park, it really doesn't help keep us competitive I feel. With the virtual confirmation of SFDK getting an RMC Ibox Roar conversion, that really puts that park into a whole other level, and I really hope that Cedar Fair doesn't give up on CGA as far as exciting thrill rides are concerned. We can't float-on on the heels of Goldstricker forever...

But are CGA and SFDK really competitors though? I remember back in 2011 when TPR did that Bay Area Day thing, the management at DK made it clear that they don't consider CGA a competitor for the reason that they kept taking stuff out and DK is putting stuff in. Now I know quite a bit has changed since then, but it still seems that everyone just goes to what ever park they've been going to and haven't stared rushing over to the other.

Well if you ask ANY of the supervisors/management they are very clear that they consider six flags a direct competitor [and NOT SCBB for that matter]. I didn't make it to the bay area bash, but that sounds like a very "six flags" thing to say... they are "so much better" than CGA that they don't consider us a competitor. At this point, I kind of have to agree, but at the same time CGA absolutely needs/deserves a new thrill ride.

With the amount of visitors from all over northern California and beyond, its still fair to say that people that want to visit a theme park are likely to choose between the 2. I'm pretty sure the proximity is only a little bit farther than SFMM and KBF, and they are clearly competitors even though they appeal to separate demographics.

The park is definitely due for another top notch thrill ride. Converting Vortex to floorless definitely is not the answer. As much as it pains me to say this (Demon was my first upside down coaster), I think its time to take out Demon and Grizzly and use all that space for something huge. You could probably fit a decent flat in there as well.

The park is definitely due for another top notch thrill ride. Converting Vortex to floorless definitely is not the answer. As much as it pains me to say this (Demon was my first upside down coaster), I think its time to take out Demon and Grizzly and use all that space for something huge. You could probably fit a decent flat in there as well.

I would love to see a medium sized B&M Sitdown in that spot.

Hey CGAers! I have a question for you...

I am thinking of trying to make it up there to CGA for the first time next year, when I am potentially visiting my brother down in West Hollywood. Would it be reasonable to think we could do all of the coasters and maybe a couple of big flats in half a day there? Or would lines and such necessitate more time spent there more likely? We'd be looking to cut down on the number of nights spent in a hotel, so it'd be nice to do both CGA and SFDK the same day. (I know, boo! )

Also, I noticed that the park didn't open until the end of March this season... Is that typical, or does it sometimes open earlier in the year? Thanks in advance for all your assistance/advice!

Honestly, I really wouldn't mind a conversion of both Vortexes. I've said in my Carowinds review that Vortex had a very exciting short-but-sweet layout that was completely ruined by the fact you had a bicycle seat ramming into your crotch and your legs were cramping trying to stand up properly during the ride. I don't see how the CGA Vortex is overly different than the Carowinds counterpart.

Hey CGAers! I have a question for you...

I am thinking of trying to make it up there to CGA for the first time next year, when I am potentially visiting my brother down in West Hollywood. Would it be reasonable to think we could do all of the coasters and maybe a couple of big flats in half a day there? Or would lines and such necessitate more time spent there more likely? We'd be looking to cut down on the number of nights spent in a hotel, so it'd be nice to do both CGA and SFDK the same day. (I know, boo! )

Also, I noticed that the park didn't open until the end of March this season... Is that typical, or does it sometimes open earlier in the year? Thanks in advance for all your assistance/advice!

It is pretty much guaranteed that the park won't open till late March, although they are CONSIDERING year round operations... if that does happen, I know it won't be this year.

ANY day other than saturday you should have no problem getting in all the coasters and a few flats in half the day. Especially if you do CGA the 2nd half of the day, depending on which day you go, as long as were open 'till at least 8 or 10 that day. For flats I reccomend Delirium, Drop Tower, and Orbit for some classic schwarzkopf enterprise goodness. And Firefall, if your into topspins... I'm not.

In other news, did anyone brave the park yesterday? There was some muslim festival and I swear it was the busiest I have seen all season, including beating 4th of july...

I want to see CGA compete with SF:DK, but cedar fair isn't going to do that. SF:DK is well verses in every thing even when some of it's animal attractions are bad compared to what they were once. Shark experience just looks extremely run down inside, they closed the extra pool they added outside of it. The new sea lion show isn't nearly as fun as the pirate themed one and the high dive show replacing bird theater is kinda a mess and it looks like it's hosted in a random persons back yard. They also removed the african elephants, have long got rid of the boat show and the 3d action theater is apparently storage for whatever they are holding in that auditorium.

Yet with all of this CGA's only saving grace is their water park in the park and Gold Striker. I was kinda shocked when they revealed that too, I figured they would only add new coasters that could easily be shipped off to another park or sold to SF:DK. I'm still worried that in 10 years CGA will be gone and will be additional parking for Levi stadium. likely made into a massive parking garage.

Plus Cedar Fair is likely more concerned with Knots Berry Farm as it has direct competition with at least 2 parks, 3 if they count magic mountain as " local" competition. I don't know the attendeance numbers of both parks, but im betting SF:DK's is higher and will be even more if RMC does get contracted on Roar.

I want to see CGA compete with SF:DK, but cedar fair isn't going to do that. SF:DK is well verses in every thing even when some of it's animal attractions are bad compared to what they were once. Shark experience just looks extremely run down inside, they closed the extra pool they added outside of it. The new sea lion show isn't nearly as fun as the pirate themed one and the high dive show replacing bird theater is kinda a mess and it looks like it's hosted in a random persons back yard. They also removed the african elephants, have long got rid of the boat show and the 3d action theater is apparently storage for whatever they are holding in that auditorium.

Yet with all of this CGA's only saving grace is their water park in the park and Gold Striker. I was kinda shocked when they revealed that too, I figured they would only add new coasters that could easily be shipped off to another park or sold to SF:DK. I'm still worried that in 10 years CGA will be gone and will be additional parking for Levi stadium. likely made into a massive parking garage.

Plus Cedar Fair is likely more concerned with Knots Berry Farm as it has direct competition with at least 2 parks, 3 if they count magic mountain as " local" competition. I don't know the attendeance numbers of both parks, but im betting SF:DK's is higher and will be even more if RMC does get contracted on Roar.

SFDK attracts significantly more guests than CGA, and to be honest it's sad because CGA is the better park. CGA has a very fresh and well kept appearance (much like it's original sister park in Illinois), has a great flat ride selection, an attached water park, and a very nice layout. SFDK imo is very cramped, coasters basically piled on top of one another, no water park, and slow operations (except Superman the ops haul on that one).

The only thing DK has over CGA is the fact that Six Flags is willing to invest in attractions every few years while Cedar Fair is a little slower in that regard.

^I would have to disagree, I think Flight Deck and Goldstriker match up well against Superman and Medusa. I do agree though once Roar is RMC'd it will bump up DK's ride line up immensely. I feel like Cedar Fair still won't see it as a wake up call.

If you go through the rides one by one - Medusa is slightly better than Flight Deck, Gold Striker is better than Roar (for now), Superman is better than anything else at CGA (Demon or Vortex), I'd compare Kong pretty favorably to Vortex, V2 is better than anything else CGA has, Boomerang is Boomerang lol.... SFDK is just better for coasters. Adding Iron Roar will just be icing... The best icing you've ever had!

Medusa is slightly better than Flight Deck

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. Flight Deck's forcefulness tips the scale in its favor for me when compared to Medusa. Everything else you said it pretty spot on.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. Flight Deck's forcefulness tips the scale in its favor for me when compared to Medusa. Everything else you said it pretty spot on.

Assuming CGA gets that Vortex Floorless conversion next year, a better comparison (to make then) would be Medusa to Vortex, and Flight Deck to Kong. Obviously, I think we can all agree Medusa and Flight Deck win those battles.

Flight deck is well, half a ride lol

Flight deck is well, half a ride lol

It is extremely short compared to other inverted coasters. Vortex is also short.

If you can go through the whole park in 1.5 hours, something's wrong, they gotta step it up soon

It is extremely short compared to other inverted coasters. Vortex is also short.

If you can go through the whole park in 1.5 hours, something's wrong, they gotta step it up soon

This is my main issue with CGA, and why I feel SFDK is a much better park. Flight Deck, Vortex, and Demon are all incredibly short. Personally, I feel like adding the water park was a horrible move back in the day. I feel like a water park and an amusement park are activities for 2 separate days, and that spaxe could be (and was) used for another top notch coaster. Are there any other parks in the world that have them in the same gate?