TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Was at the park Saturday 6/20 with some friends who haven't been to the park in five years. Had a great time. Did Fast Lane as the park was busy as there was a special event. Flight Deck was still closed and the front entrance had steel barricade fencing. Tiki Twirl was also down, Firefall was running, and Gold Striker was fast, smooth and running great as ever. Noticed that the painted some of the supports white again after seeing it gray earlier in the month. Also the south parking lot has been repaved and redone with a few more entry/exits added to ease traffic flow.

10807921_10205635376778086_1701955916_n.jpg.142c1e20487c9944ad0450b3a1b19464.jpg

More work being done on the south parking lot, next to the drop off area.

11124203_10205635416659083_649226705_n.thumb.jpg.bd9df80aaa5da62e45fca6aaf243d941.jpg

The gray paint that was on a section of the middle support in this pic is now white again..

11124401_10205635152292474_740807752_n.jpg.2ffa1dcd19f1168c4ac28bebc6af1e68.jpg

South section of parking repaved and restripped back to vertical rows again, also additional entry/exits added to ease traffic flow.

11419967_10205635411458953_106830970_n.jpg.3981bf201d5c47c8e84487a961e3e0db.jpg

Flight Deck still closed.

11428552_10205635626944340_1128508011_n.jpg.b14376c78bc996531df0fb06ae744aea.jpg

Steel barricades in front entrance of Flight Deck

11430290_10205635419299149_925524851_n.thumb.jpg.c1ab31cbc8ce3a56e8396a5df67f759f.jpg

More shiny new white paint on a section of one of the supports on Vortex again..

11650547_10205636567287848_1778829251_n.jpg.be375fc339b71a0bfb088dddc28b5c29.jpg

Newly widened bus entrance with a curved entrance and new cement path

11650837_10205635459780161_645617042_n.thumb.jpg.6d9083dcbf412821116092d1627ad8bf.jpg

Tiki Twirl Closed.

11651336_10205635370617932_546536691_n.jpg.f5b406a38f6f8459355ff4078ac2d954.jpg

Work on the south parking lot next to the drop off parking.

Sucks that FD and Tiki Twirl were closed, two of my favorite rides there. I wonder if they're testing different shades for Vortex like they did with Mantis/Rougarou.

Tiki twirl is back up and running as of yesterday, we had a bug we had to work out. FD should be up sometime this week from what I hear, pending state approval.

Funny thing, I heard today that the guy who was quoted saying vortex is getting a conversion was not supposed to say that yet, they are nowhere near ready to make an announcement. I'm just hoping that's not ALL that happens for the 2016 season...

Uhh where are you getting your information? Both of those rides were open Sunday...

Was at the park on both Saturday and Sunday and didn't see either running, maybe I just missed them on Sunday though if they had re-opened by then. Thanks for clearing that up. Were they running all day?

Funny thing, I heard today that the guy who was quoted saying vortex is getting a conversion was not supposed to say that yet, they are nowhere near ready to make an announcement. I'm just hoping that's not ALL that happens for the 2016 season...

Yeah I figured that. It's a little bizarre that upcoming projects for both SFDK and CGA have been leaked. In both cases it looked like they were trying to be slick not explicitly saying which park or coaster, but it was obvious on both.

Apparently Tony realeased the park, year, and conversion to a newspaper. I read the article but I dont know where it went.
Yeah the paper avoided mentioning the park, saying "Cedar Fair park near San Francisco" or something, which didn't explicitly say it but made it obvious.

Same thing with the RMC job posting that gave away the Roar makeover. It just said "Project is in CA" and by process of elimination we know it really can't be anything other than Roar, especially as loose lipped employees at SFDK have been warning guests that Roar will be closing later this year.

• 2 weeks later...

FD is wide open!

Just planned a trip to Chicago on 8/7 to check out the other Great America to see how it could have been for us in Northern California. Looking forward to checking out some of the classics that are still there like the Scenic Railway and Whizzer... haven't been on those (well the California ones) in forever.

Apparently Tony realeased the park, year, and conversion to a newspaper. I read the article but I dont know where it went.
Yeah the paper avoided mentioning the park, saying "Cedar Fair park near San Francisco" or something, which didn't explicitly say it but made it obvious.

Same thing with the RMC job posting that gave away the Roar makeover. It just said "Project is in CA" and by process of elimination we know it really can't be anything other than Roar, especially as loose lipped employees at SFDK have been warning guests that Roar will be closing later this year.

To be fair, the RMC one was less of a leak, they sort of have to say where the job is, right?

I suppose my tiny sliver of hope the Grizzly would get RMC'd is gone thanks to the employees at SFDK saying Roar is closing, though.

The CA project could be GhostRider. Knott's GM has talked about celebrating the 50th anniversary of Ghost Town and implied GhostRider would be getting some love.

^Best case scenario, it is both.

And that would not surprise me too much, with Roar's strongly rumored RMC conversion and Ghostrider's long rumors of getting topper track.

Three years ago, the best operating wood structured coaster in California was a coaster that was built in 1924. Next year, we might have RMC Roar, Ghostrider being restored to its former glory, along with Twisted Colossus and Gold Striker. In a few years, California may ahve transformed into a wood-structured coaster mecca.

Also, assuming both of the rumored RMC projects happen, I guess you could say that the era of California's airtime shortage will be completely over. With Twisted Colossus, RMC Roar, Gold Striker, Manta, (topper track) Ghostrider, Giant Dipper, every major coaster park would have a coaster that at least provides good airtime. (Excluding Universal, which will probably never see an outdoor coaster)

I was just there yesterday, and saw some wooden crates with rebar or something in them off by the lake for Flight Deck. Anybody know anything about construction over there?

I noticed that too. On Sunday they had construction vehicles with dirt over there. I think it will probably just be more of the red zone rally, or who knows, it might be a tiny slingshot

The CA project could be GhostRider. Knott's GM has talked about celebrating the 50th anniversary of Ghost Town and implied GhostRider would be getting some love.

I can definitely see that happening and as amazing as it would be, I don't think Ghost rider is the project RMC listed for CA. It's been flying around the forum that Six Flags has only one RMC conversion project lined up for next year, and when you consider that they no longer own a park in Kentucky or a park in Pigeon Forge, SFDK it is! Though I really hope Knott's goes through with the "Ghost rider love", I don't even have to say how much that ride could use it.

Got back from the park. Within an hour we were able to ride:

- Goldstriker, row 9

- Flight Deck, very back (cycled twice due to no one in line)

- Goldstriker, row 5

- Goldstriker, row 3

All walk on, with both rides running two trains with stacking. Not a bad lunch break!

I can definitely see that happening and as amazing as it would be, I don't think Ghost rider is the project RMC listed for CA. It's been flying around the forum that Six Flags has only one RMC conversion project lined up for next year, and when you consider that they no longer own a park in Kentucky or a park in Pigeon Forge, SFDK it is! Though I really hope Knott's goes through with the "Ghost rider love", I don't even have to say how much that ride could use it.

I don't see that happening. It was the last ride that the Knott family designed, they don't want to mess with it, ever. They might eventually do a topper track, but they'd never change the layout like with a full RMC conversion.

While other parks dismantle wooden roller coasters, Knott’s says GhostRider is staying put, in part because the Knott family created it. GhostRider opened in 1998, a year after Cedar Fair bought the park, but was conceived before the sale.

“I suspect GhostRider will ultimately work its way into our legacy like the Log Ride and the Mine Ride,” Ouimet said. “I perceive a day when we pay a little more attention to GhostRider.”

Ghostrider would easily be a "top 10 coaster" if the layout had topper track and RMC trains with polyurethane wheels.

Back to CGA:

How has Gold Striker's reliability been this season?