TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

My friend had fond memories of grizzly so we went to go on it until we saw the lineup, but he wondered if my platinum pass worked as a fastpass, so we went up the back, and the ride op said no, buy we managed to get through on a " can you let us through just this once?" thanks!

I'm still scratching my head as to what made you think a Platinum Pass worked as a fastpass. I'm also wondering why you asked to cut the line after knowing the latter was not the case.

At the park right now, apparently there has been a accident on Flight Deck.

Word is that an employee was knocked from the platform by a train and has been hospitalized.

Ride is closed.

Two news choppers already circling low above the ride, though there can't be much for them to see in the dark, and tonight's fireworks display has been cancelled accordingly.

Anybody seen anything about this on local Bay Area news sources?

I wish they would launch the fireworks to keep all the scaremongering away. Get those helicopters out of CGA's airspace.

Unfortunately, the fireworks are so close to Flight Deck that the whole ride area has to be evacuated before the show. No way they would delay their investigation for the fireworks.

http://abc7news.com/news/two-injured-on-roller-coaster-at-great-america-in-santa-clara/781565/

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- Two people were injured at a roller coaster inside California's Great America in Santa Clara.

A park worker was apparently struck in the head by a rider 8:15 p.m. Friday on the Flight Deck roller coaster.

The Flight Deck ride is an inverted roller coaster and riders' legs freely from the coaster.

Ambulances arrived on scene and the worker and the parkgoer were both transported to a hospital. The worker suffered traumatic injuries and the rider's hand was injured.

Witnesses told ABC7 News that the park employee was hurt while trying to retrieve a dropped cell phone near the ride's platform.

It wasn't an operator, it was a maintenance mechanic. I don't know many details about what procedures were or were not followed, I'm sure I will find out but I may not be able to post everything I hear/am told. Thoughts and prayers go out to the mechanic.

Appears to have been a maintenance worker. My thoughts to those affected...

http://abc7news.com/news/two-injured-at-roller-coaster-inside-santa-claras-great-america/781565/

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- Friday evening, two people were injured on a roller coaster at California's Great America in Santa Clara.

A park maintenance worker was struck in the head by a rider 8:15 p.m. Friday on the Flight Deck roller coaster.

The Flight Deck ride is an inverted roller coaster where riders' legs freely dangle from the coaster. The original name of this ride was Top Gun.

Ambulances arrived on scene and the worker and the parkgoer were both transported to the hospital. The worker suffered traumatic injuries and the rider's hand was injured.

Witnesses told ABC7 News that the park employee was hurt while trying to retrieve a dropped cellphone near the ride's platform and the coaster drug him about 10-15 feet.

The park remained open until its usual time of 10 p.m. People leaving the park said Great America usually has a fireworks show at the end of the night, but there wasn't one Friday night.

Authorities say the ride will be shut down while they do their investigation and look at all the safety aspects of the ride. They said at this point it did not appear that the ride malfunctioned.

It's not the first time there's been an accident like this at Great America. Back in September 1998 a Mexican National, Renato Robles, was killed on what was known then as the Top Gun roller coaster. He was kicked in the head by a passenger when he jumped a security fence to retrieve his wife's hat.

In other CGA news, tonight the park previewed "40 Seasons of Summer" show, the second of their three big summer shows.

The show is a musical trip down memory lane with favorite party songs from the four decades the park has been open set against the backdrop of the park's history, including an abundance of references to long-gone favorite rides that underscore just how passionate the team behind this show are about their park.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Broadway show that ran in the same theatre for the past couple of seasons, and I was kind of expecting to see more of the same this year, but was instead really pleasantly surprised by both timeless choice of songs, spectacular staging and talented cast, and as a CGA fan I absolutely loved all the references to park history.

Live entertainment at CGA continues to go from strength to strength, with a hugely passionate team of entertainment staff and performers. The current roster of summer shows are all worth checking out when you visit the park.

1823236958_2015-06-1220_27_36.thumb.jpg.f9c3402582d45d472aa8085cedf6e306.jpg

The show kicks off with a wonderful rendition of the classic Marriot-era "Carousel Song". It really sets the tone of the show as being a loving tribute to the history of CGA, rather than just another generic rent-a-song variety show.

1717286723_2015-06-1220_30_32.thumb.jpg.83dde160a56ae405010fff6d2ab08d84.jpg

Our master of ceremonies is Melvyn, a suitable coaster-boy character complete with park t-shirt and souvenir cup, and having ridden GoldStriker 5 times in a row!

1046057698_2015-06-1220_31_41.thumb.jpg.d0ec2710928b63615f0efd93aa1a4d30.jpg

A huge LED video wall serves as the backdrop of the show. Apparently this is the first time any Cedar Fair park has used this technology in one of their shows.

1865814113_2015-06-1220_41_06.thumb.jpg.fada375f41f180dac80483894aa5f417.jpg

The cast of singers and dancers had boundless energy throughout the show.

1201390342_2015-06-1220_47_29.thumb.jpg.fc230c518b93492f5bd258fd5a301435.jpg

The 90s segment included a wonderfully tongue-in-cheek boyband number.

1067438497_2015-06-1220_49_31.thumb.jpg.d42316f33974a8236c9b89a3268da677.jpg

An impromptu stage invasion occurred during the 90s segment (though this group of stage-invading "park guests" were actually comprised of the kids from the park's daytime Peanuts show).

607759154_2015-06-1220_51_28.thumb.jpg.9e56b8c494d11da5279187c12e4a6b46.jpg

The final number started with an "In loving memory" segment in which classic rides of CGA past were highlighted, including Willard's Whizzer, Sky Whirl, Stealth and Invertigo.

1402637163_2015-06-1220_55_21.thumb.jpg.4dc0130e3c804a91860c2d275ec7a4c2.jpg

The cast take a well deserved bow after a great performance.

If you know anything about the investigation going on I would not post anything. Management will be patrolling sites like this and screamscape etc.

I don't think they care about what guests and 3rd party people say. Workers at the park or maybe even other cedar fair parks fine, sure. Either way already seems like a open and shut case to me given it was a maintenance worker, so unless they are just on trash detail they should of known better. Though anyone who gets hired at a park should know not to go into restricted ride areas.

The guys just lucky he didn't end up like the teenager who got his head decapitated back in 2008.

If you know anything about the investigation going on I would not post anything. Management will be patrolling sites like this and screamscape etc.

If you want to know things i suggest private messaging or texting the person.

Everything is going to be public record when the investigation is complete.

I haven't been following 2016 speculation too much, but if Cedar Point's general manager, Jason McClure, is telling the truth then a Rougarou-like conversion is going to happen. Vortex to become floorless and get paint/new name?

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20150614/NEWS/306149989/surging-cedar-fair-isnt-just-enjoying-the-ride?X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

This year, however, Cedar Point unveiled Rougarou, a complete reimagining of its aging Mantis rollercoaster. Mantis was billed as the tallest standup rollercoaster in the world when it opened in 1996, but in recent years its ridership had waned and it had earned a reputation as being one of the more uncomfortable coasters in the park. The move, which appears to have been embraced by most coaster fanatics, transformed the stand-up coaster into a more conventional, floorless sit-down coaster.

The park's general manager, Jason McClure, described the transformation as like “trading in a box truck for a Corvette.” He added, “You're still on the turnpike, but it's a completely different experience,” McClure said. Witherow said Cedar Fair plans to do the same with other aging coasters in its portfolio, including one next year at its park near San Francisco.