TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet:

Cedar Fair — the parent company of Knott's Berry Farm, Cedar Point and Canada's Wonderland — has already introduced a pair of interactive dark rides and plans a portfolio of future attractions under the banner of Amusement Dark.

Cedar Fair president and CEO Matt Ouimet plans to eventually expand the Amusement Dark concept to all 11 park locations in the chain.

"I think ultimately you'll see them at every Cedar Fair park," said Ouimet, a former Disney executive who served a stint as Disneyland president.

LA Times article

So...when do you think CGA will get a dark ride? And what would it be about? And where do you think it'd go?

Old Pictorium building would be a great place, though I heard it's pretty much unusable at this point for anything but haunts due to mass decay and rot.

They could also get rid of the motion sim ride and use its building, as that hasn't had anything interesting in it since Bond.

If some of you haven't noticed yet, they've only been running one train on Vortex all season. When I asked a ride op why, he said that the train wasn't working right when they were testing it during the off season. I don't know what this will tell for the future.

If some of you haven't noticed yet, they've only been running one train on Vortex all season. When I asked a ride op why, he said that the train wasn't working right when they were testing it during the off season. I don't know what this will tell for the future.

A megalite would look very nice there.

I think they should just replace the stand-up trains and put in regular B&M sit down trains. A megalite would be nice in Grizzly's Spot.

I think they should just replace the stand-up trains and put in regular B&M sit down trains. A megalite would be nice in Grizzly's Spot.

First, give up on grizzly being replaced anytime in the near future.

Second, you really can't trust a ride op for this kind of information

The park has not been very busy at all lately to warrant a real need for a 2nd train on vortex. The other train is in the coaster shop for rehab. I can't completely deny the possibility of what that op said being true, but I work in maintenexe and haven't heard anything about any issues with it. I also know there haven't been any rumors at all about getting floorless trains for it (yet). In my opinion, it's so short I don't think it's worth it.

A Show about making Sourdough Bread would be nice in Grizzly's spot. The bar isn't that high for a replacement for that ride.

Does anybody know why FireFall was down all day on Saturday. I had lunch by it, and listened to Jackie Lee, and all it did was test. I noticed some squeaking sounds.

I can't say more than we are working out some issues. The good news is it was running on Sunday from about 12ish till close with no issues.

Does anybody know why FireFall was down all day on Saturday. I had lunch by it, and listened to Jackie Lee, and all it did was test. I noticed some squeaking sounds.

The brakes on Huss TopSpins can be rather noisy.

I like to give Prudential the ol' one finger salute while I'm riding Gold Striker.

Re: Vortex - There's probably some truth to what the ride op said, cause CGA not being a year round park (Why?), their rehab would all be done in the off season, so it's unlikely to be scheduled maintenance. I wouldn't assume anything more than that though..may be more work needed and/or they're waiting for parts, but I wouldnt jump to a conclusion like scrapping a train or closing the ride.

Go read the Cedar Point thread and look at all the work they're putting into Rugarou. People throw the "Hey convert ___ coaster from a standup to a floorless!" without realizing the massive amount of work that goes into that. It's a lot more than just swapping out the trains. The station has to be converted to that moving floor that standup coasters use, plus I'm sure there are changes adjustments that need to be made to motors, brakes, and electrical. The new trains themselves are surely also a pretty big chunk of change. I agree with skaunit..I think that if the time comes where Vortex isn't doing it for park management anymore, a conversion isnt gonna be on the table.

I like to give Prudential the ol' one finger salute while I'm riding Gold Striker.

Re: Vortex - There's probably some truth to what the ride op said, cause CGA not being a year round park (Why?), their rehab would all be done in the off season, so it's unlikely to be scheduled maintenance. I wouldn't assume anything more than that though..may be more work needed and/or they're waiting for parts, but I wouldnt jump to a conclusion like scrapping a train or closing the ride.

Go read the Cedar Point thread and look at all the work they're putting into Rugarou. People throw the "Hey convert ___ coaster from a standup to a floorless!" without realizing the massive amount of work that goes into that. It's a lot more than just swapping out the trains. The station has to be converted to that moving floor that standup coasters use, plus I'm sure there are changes adjustments that need to be made to motors, brakes, and electrical. The new trains themselves are surely also a pretty big chunk of change. I agree with skaunit..I think that if the time comes where Vortex isn't doing it for park management anymore, a conversion isnt gonna be on the table.

There is always the option for sitdown trains, then you dont have to worry about the floor drop out for floorless trains

It doesn't seem worth it to spend money converting Vortex. Unlike Rougarou, it has a short, simple layout and the stand-up trains are really the only thing that makes it unique. It's not a bad coaster, per se, but I definitely wouldn't drop a couple million on remodeling it. The park would be better off selling it to another, small park and putting a mega-lite, Mack mini-hyper or Lightnin' Run inspired coaster in its place.

It doesn't seem worth it to spend money converting Vortex. Unlike Rougarou, it has a short, simple layout and the stand-up trains are really the only thing that makes it unique. It's not a bad coaster, per se, but I definitely wouldn't drop a couple million on remodeling it. The park would be better off selling it to another, small park and putting a mega-lite, Mack mini-hyper or Lightnin' Run inspired coaster in its place.

I would love to see a mega-lite at this park!

I would love to see a mega-lite at this park!

Vortex seems to have such a small foot print to me. How does the size of a mega-lite compare?

I apparently had exceptionally bad judgment this afternoon and rode Vortex today and I was painfully reminded of just HOW bad this coaster is. Something needs to be done with it for sure. On a related note Joey, it once again reminded me of how much torture you must have endured sticking it out the entire time a couple of years ago during Coasting for Kids! Mad respect.