TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I'm going to the park for the first time this Friday. I hear Gold Striker is down which is a bummer. Do you think getting a Fast Lane pass would be worth it for the other rides? This will probably be my only visit to this park so I want to get my fill. I'm guessing with school starting soon crowds will be pretty crazy on Friday. Also, I'll be there by myself, do they have single rider lines?

Thanks

Get to the park for opening and you'll be able to get all the major rides done pretty quickly without have to purchase Fast Lane. Assuming Gold Striker will still be down, head first to Flight Deck, then head to the back of the park and do Psycho Mouse and Tiki Twirl as these two rides build up lines later in the day. After this the Grizzly should be open (it opens later than the rest of the park) and head back to the front of the park riding Demon and Vortex on your way.

If you want to take in the water slides in Boomerang Bay, try and do so before noon when the water park starts to get busy. Spend the afternoon doing the flats and water-rides. The water rides can get some long lines when its hot, but the lines move pretty quickly.

I find the park can get pretty busy on Friday evenings when people come by after work for the fireworks. If you've done all the rides by then, grab a beer and watch some of the excellent shows the park has to offer.

The park does not offer single rider lines.

Actually, I've seen Delirium have single rider lines.

I know it used to have one which I heard was a test for possibly using it elsewhere, but I think at some point that test concluded. Evidently they decided not to move forward because I haven't seen any others.

I know it used to have one which I heard was a test for possibly using it elsewhere, but I think at some point that test concluded. Evidently they decided not to move forward because I haven't seen any others.

Delirium was using its single rider line last month. The park uses the single rider line very oddly though. They let two single riders on each cycle regardless of the standby line or the number of seats available.

Delirium was using its single rider line last month. The park uses the single rider line very oddly though. They let two single riders on each cycle regardless of the standby line or the number of seats available.

That's strange, I thought that the purpose of the single rider line was to fill ALL the seats.

When I went last Saturday, Flight Deck, Physco Mouse, Grizzly, and Tiki Twirl all had lines out the queue. This was most likely because Gold Striker was closed but it does get very crowded on the weekends.

At least Flight Deck's line moves very quickly. Even when the line was completely full a few weeks ago, I only waited 45 minutes. I can't say the same for the other 3 though.

When I went last Saturday, Flight Deck, Physco Mouse, Grizzly, and Tiki Twirl all had lines out the queue. This was most likely because Gold Striker was closed but it does get very crowded on the weekends.

How long does it take before the lines for PM, G, & TT get that long? I'm guessing it takes an hour or two after opening?

With Gold Striker closed, what all is open for platinum pass ERT? Is it a full hour before opening or just 30min? Right now I'm thinking I should hit a bunch of Flight Deck and then head to the back of the park. depending on how long ERT is and whether I think I can get around the CCW direction before all the crowds get to those rides.

I'm also open to any other tips/suggestions. I figure I should be able to hit most everything by lunchtime, and then the plan is to head to Gilroy Gardens for the afternoon (any tips/suggestions for GG are appreciated as well).

New parking entrance to great america. Anyone else wondering why they just put great america than California's great america.

Yeah, I noticed this too recently:

IMG_4073.thumb.JPG.f4485dda297763918d56c70ef7eab489.JPG

Even the new pavilion says "Great America" only:

IMG_4077.thumb.JPG.384c13bc4d893d9e31022982f676b8a3.JPG

Looks good if you ask me, but I actually think it's just trying to make it super clear where to go for the theme park versus the stadium, as the parking lot is being split off in to two separate zones at times, for example tonight there was a 49ers practice session which half the parking lot was being used for.

Also, to be fair, everyone around here calls the park "Great America" anyway (and some old timers still call it "Marriot's Great America"!) so its not that big a deal.

Just spoke with Guest Services at the park. They said Gold Striker is waiting on a part to get shipped, and that as soon as it arrives they'll be able to re-open it. They didn't have an ETA.

Nice to get that kinda-confirmed, thanks. Also kind of sounds like it's not the chain.

While drunkenly looking through my Facebook feed, I noticed CGA posted about riding Gold Striker tomorrow along with the park hours. I take it they got the part and it's now up and running. If so, (and not just a PR mistake) color me stoked.