TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I had just visited the park recently. I finally got my Gold Pass upgraded to a Platinum since I'm planning to visit both Kings Island and Cedar Point later this summer. One of the biggest disappointments of my visit was that Gold Striker was closed all day (which had also happened during my last few visits to the park). But let's just move on to the pics.

IMAG0808.thumb.jpg.bfffb1f5c216e2e9e7cc7c9e2819511a.jpg

Flight Deck looks pretty good in its new colors.

IMAG0798.thumb.jpg.a55fdb460a58b24075a4d784681b429f.jpg

During my many visits, I've always seen the jukebox in the American Cafe not working. So I was very surprised to see that it was mostly working again (I say mostly because I don't think the buttons were working).

IMAG0797.thumb.jpg.38b6ff477cfce7f82c9ca4238b0a8eda.jpg

Hello, unused side of the Action Theater. Probably to continue being unused for the rest of the attraction's lifespan.

IMAG0800.thumb.jpg.211e0db6ddba667ab2cfda3b5eb6ab8b.jpg

Apparently there was some sort of extreme sports area built on the Inverti-garden. Wasn't sure if it was for a one-time event or something. But at least they're making good use of Invertigo's space.

IMAG0802.thumb.jpg.1bb5cbb74e6e37e21974a215395ca3fa.jpg

IMAG0803.thumb.jpg.327afbf874afa401ebc0bcf10bc54649.jpg

Decided to see the new ice show. The show was actually generous in letting us take pictures. Unfortunately, most of the ones I took ended up either too blurry or too bright.

IMAG0807.thumb.jpg.dccca25ea5a8ffc7b79a0cd2ba0369cb.jpg

The show itself wasn't too bad. There were some pretty impressive stunts in it. But it's only worth seeing once.

IMAG0811.thumb.jpg.af79013c9d9e85837ade4864f5bb212e.jpg

Looks like Zombie High isn't going anywhere soon

IMAG0812.thumb.jpg.96fa496dcee7003b7f5f3a2312d5e336.jpg

Amateurish attempt at a coaster-nerd shot #2

IMAG0813.thumb.jpg.102c72c08bc9346a091af0274bb3ccec.jpg

Amateurish attempt at a coaster-nerd shot #1

IMAG0814.thumb.jpg.84b9d264ed0982d01e94ebd1813a27c2.jpg

Since Gold Striker was down, I went to ride it's older, and less impressive brother, Grizzly. The ride itself seemed to be a bit smoother than last time. But the loading times were too long than they need to be.

IMAG0809.thumb.jpg.e69053c373201fde77bc188fdf1cd420.jpg

Looks like Gold Striker isn't the only ride getting tagged with unnecessary graffiti.

IMAG0815.thumb.jpg.a261af779d9c23380dc0b017858a1a44.jpg

Up next, the ride formerly known as Survivor

IMAG0817.thumb.jpg.569958e9fa425b0758cdc8ae72e39de0.jpg

Amateurish attempt at a coaster-nerd shot #3

IMAG0818.thumb.jpg.ab1bdffb4259974f02e9bb29dc7c4d98.jpg

Amateurish attempt at a coaster-nerd shot #4

IMAG0822.thumb.jpg.a82ce23e2f76fa4aa95fc6a37e9bcc41.jpg

As I was heading to the bathroom near Delirium, I noticed some remains of the old Tidal Wave/Greased Lightnin' coaster, and had to take a picture of it.

IMAG0823.thumb.jpg.2572c36977bc60f8cedbcd9785c3ba9c.jpg

Looks like even when removed, some rides just never want to be forgotten.

IMAG0828.thumb.jpg.28b9eaca27ed793afb21f5c5fa162b2b.jpg

Even though Gold Striker was down, that didn't stop me from at least taking a picture of it.

IMAG0829.thumb.jpg.777c0c2da0d480810c0ab30a6bfc632f.jpg

Amateurish attempt at making an artsy picture of Gold Striker and Star Tower

IMAG0835.thumb.jpg.952398df8f94261b8277098156fee2c5.jpg

I finish my report with a picture of the new Levi's Stadium, which looks pretty good.

IMAG0819.thumb.jpg.0a46589b976106120651c0b17b8beb5c.jpg

Panoramic view of Planet Snoopy

I'm planning on going to CGA for my first time on Labor Day weekend. Looking forward to Gold Striker. I have my choice of Saturday or Sunday. I usually find that Sunday's are better park days than Saturday's, but since it's a major holiday weekend that might not be true. Does anyone know if Sunday would be significantly better than Saturday? Does anyone have any tips or advice?

Well today was the second Haunt rehire job fair for this season. Some things that I found out while there: Slaughterhouse is being retired and turned into a new maze called Roadhouse, the brand new maze is called Wax, and the new "attraction" is Mirror Mirror (likely similar to Knott's?). Should be another good year for haunt despite the Sunday closures due to football games.

I'm sure CGA greatly appreciates this leaking of confidential information. Common sense runs strong with you, my friend.

I'm visiting the park for the first time next week. As summer season is well underway, how are the crowds at the park??

Monday-Friday is usually very light crowds. Everything would be walkon or station wait except for Goldstriker. Might wait about 30 minutes max for it. Saturdays can be pretty busy and Sundays are manageable.

Well today was the second Haunt rehire job fair for this season. Some things that I found out while there: *****************************************************. Should be another good year for haunt despite the Sunday closures due to football games.

I would remove this sooner rather than later.

Taken care of. Didn't think this information was "confidential" considering it's on multiple forms, etc. when applying for the job and they never mentioned not saying anything. My apologies.

Visited CGA for the first time yesterday, and was very surprised that they had a "no glasses" policy on ALL of their roller coasters. I've never seen this at any park. I hope this isn't a new Cedar Fair chain-wide policy. I've worn my glasses on rides like El Toro and X2, I'm pretty sure they're not going to fall off on Grizzly or Woodstock's Express. It also was oddly enforced - on Demon they made me put them in the bin, on Gold Striker they told me to just hold on to them (really?!) and on Vortex they told me to put them in my pocket.

Overall the park was fine. I got the credits in and left. Not much to stick around for. Flight Deck and Gold Striker were both great. They could use a nice family coaster. Loading procedures were really slow on most rides - for example on Psycho Mouse one car would complete the entire circuit before the next would be released from the station, and on Grizzly the trains were stacked for several minutes each cycle. Employees were mostly nice and helpful though, so I'd still put this park above your average Six Flags park.

Visited CGA for the first time yesterday, and was very surprised that they had a "no glasses" policy on ALL of their roller coasters. I've never seen this at any park. I hope this isn't a new Cedar Fair chain-wide policy. I've worn my glasses on rides like El Toro and X2, I'm pretty sure they're not going to fall off on Grizzly or Woodstock's Express. It also was oddly enforced - on Demon they made me put them in the bin, on Gold Striker they told me to just hold on to them (really?!) and on Vortex they told me to put them in my pocket.

Overall the park was fine. I got the credits in and left. Not much to stick around for. Flight Deck and Gold Striker were both great. They could use a nice family coaster. Loading procedures were really slow on most rides - for example on Psycho Mouse one car would complete the entire circuit before the next would be released from the station, and on Grizzly the trains were stacked for several minutes each cycle. Employees were mostly nice and helpful though, so I'd still put this park above your average Six Flags park.

I had the same problem. They also told me to take my glasses off on the Down Under Thunder halfpipe water slide. They also told me to hold on at all times. I understand that they dont' want riders to lose their glasses, but I definitely am far more likely to lose them by holding onto them.

I was at the park this past Saturday. Crowds were fairly solid. Gold Striker and Psycho Mouse had hour waits and then the other major coasters and flat rides had half hour waits.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but Delirium is back up and running. The floor was working all day without any issue. I really enjoyed Delirium. It had a good cycle with plenty of airtime.

Unless they changed the program there are two sets of 'magic seats' that get you the most airtime, watch the ride while in line and you'll see which ones they are.

I use this trick every time I ride it and 90% of the time I get the air seats.

These are the seats that always happen to be at the top of each swing.

I was at the park this past Saturday. Crowds were fairly solid. Gold Striker and Psycho Mouse had hour waits and then the other major coasters and flat rides had half hour waits.

Exactly why I'd like to hit up the special ERT sessions for GoldPass holders, as well as cover the special perk. One of the teens at my martial arts gym works at the park and says that its pretty empty; not a lot of people know about the free ERT sessions on Saturday mornings.

I'm visiting this park for the first time next month. My wife has to work so I'm going to the park solo. I'm going on a Friday first thing in the morning. Do you regulars there suggest getting the Fast Lane pass or would that be a waste of money, especially for being a single rider? I plan on going the 15th of August and from what I can tell thats the last regular weekday operating day of the season, so I would expect a decent crowd maybe.

Any other tips or suggestions are welcome!

EDIT: I won't be going to be at CGA tomorrow, Friday July 25 like I originally said. I will most likely going to CGA on Monday, August 11. If any TPR members in the area is going to be there then and wants to meet up PM me. I'm still looking forward to finally going on Goldstriker, but not nearly as much as the Mini NE Tour.

Looking to be at the park on Saturday 8/16 for the first (and likely only) time. Any tips? I've seen on here that I can get in an hour early with my platinum pass. My thoughts were to go hit Gold Striker as many times as I can during that hour & then head over to hit Flight Deck right before opening so I can be on my way to Vortex when they start letting people in. I figure I can then work my way around to the back of the park and be on the front edge of the wave of guests. If I can stay ahead of the crowds, it shouldn't take too long to hit all the coasters (plus the drop ride), right? Anything that's definitely worth planning on re-riding (other than Gold Striker)?

Looking to be at the park on Saturday 8/16 for the first (and likely only) time. Any tips? I've seen on here that I can get in an hour early with my platinum pass. My thoughts were to go hit Gold Striker as many times as I can during that hour & then head over to hit Flight Deck right before opening so I can be on my way to Vortex when they start letting people in. I figure I can then work my way around to the back of the park and be on the front edge of the wave of guests. If I can stay ahead of the crowds, it shouldn't take too long to hit all the coasters (plus the drop ride), right? Anything that's definitely worth planning on re-riding (other than Gold Striker)?

I'm pretty sure I'll be there that day as well. If so, I'd be happy to show you the best way to get on all the coasters before the crowds hit.

Youll probably be done by an hour after the park opens at that rate.