TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^No. Stealth was were Boomerang Bay is today.

Why am I answering these? Lol.

I was just being curious about whatever happen to California's Great America Whizzer coaster since Six Flags Great America still has theirs!

Was Invertigo in where Whizzer was and where Gold Striker is now?

Completely off topic, but I just watched Beverly Hills Cop 3 again the other day and completely forgot about this awesome cameo -

[vine]

[/vine]

For those who don't know, Wonder World was actually Great America (aside from Alien Attack, which was Earthquake at Universal Hollywood). The Sky Whirl sequence that the George Lucas cameo starts has some of the best stunt work I've ever seen.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

This is a heavily edited video, obviously, but the entire sequence was a mix of actual stunt work crossed with shots done in a studio. The guy jumping from car to car? That actually happened.

Edited by KBrylczyk

Was Invertigo in where Whizzer was and where Gold Striker is now?

No. Invertigo replaced the Sky Whirl triple ferris wheel. Currently, the Invertigo site is just grass. Portions of the Whizzer site were taken up by Whitewater Falls and Xtreme Skyflyer. Gold Striker took up the remaining area of the Whizzer site.

They should replace entrance with a more "Cedar Point" style. No, I really don't think they need a wing rider over the top, but a nice plaza with new shrubs, electronic sign and a better flow.

There is nothing wrong with the current entrance. The fountains and Columbia Carousel already make a really nice entrance area.

They should replace entrance with a more "Cedar Point" style. No, I really don't think they need a wing rider over the top, but a nice plaza with new shrubs, electronic sign and a better flow.

There is nothing wrong with the current entrance. The fountains and Columbia Carousel already make a really nice entrance area.

I think he means just more of the "front gate area" coming into the park (from the parking lot to the turnstyles), not replacing the fountains and/or carousel inside of the park.

Am I reading this correct? On all 49ers game days, CGA will be essentially closed for a private party namely the Red Zone Rally pass holders?

http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfootball/ci_26047902/49ers-tailgate-party?source=social

SANTA CLARA -- Now you can prepare for the roller-coaster ride of an NFL game by riding

an actual roller coaster. But the cost might not be so thrilling.

In what's believed to be a sports first, the San Francisco 49ers and Great America on Friday

unveiled a season-long Levi's Stadium tailgate party deal that will start in August and feature

all-you-can eat grub, all-you-can-drink beers and roller-coaster rides.

Fans can get in at 10 a.m., watch the early NFL games and hang out with Gold Rush

cheerleaders and theme park characters such as Snoopy. It's located right next to the

stadium on the edge of Great America, the rest of which will be closed during game days.

Parking is not included.

The price? $850 per person for the season, the same as the cost of season tickets in the

nose bleeds and 13 times the cost of a Great America season pass.

"It sounds like a great idea, it's something I'd love to check out -- but it'd be doubling the price

of my season tickets," said Dennis Robles, 47, of Brentwood. "I have other options that are a

lot more affordable."

Another cost for some fans who aren't careful: motion sickness aboard the bright-red Flight

Deck coaster after hitting the open bar and buffet.

Officially called the Red Zone Rally at the new Great America Pavilion, the multimillion dollar

project serves two main purposes for the team.

First, it gives the Niners yet another opportunity for revenue from the $1.3 billion stadium,

which is set to open in five weeks. In addition to the increased cost of tickets and new seat

licenses, the team has already offered pricey amenities such as fan bricks, parking, a VIP

dining package with celebrity chef Michael Mina, a museum, and field tours, along with a new

fan store on site. And many fans are reporting wallet fatigue.

But it also allows the team and city another chance to draw fans to the region for all-day visits

on Sundays and during other big events. With many fans anxious about what there is to do in

the suburban area before and after games, the business opportunities -- from a planned Joe

Montana hotel and sports bar to nearby restaurants re-branding themselves as sports joints --

are starting to pop up as the stadium nears completion.

"This is just the start of this," said 49ers chief operating officer Al Guido. "To fans that aren't

going to set up an RV or cook, this will be the place for them."

It comes as the Santa Clara City Council is set Tuesday to approve a deal with a developer

for a 230-acre mega "city center" project across from the stadium. In the works for more than

a year, the project from Related Development would include shops, dining and homes on

what is now a golf course.

The overall plan for a destination center is along the lines of the Public House and nearby

restaurants outside AT&T Park in San Francisco, and the popular San Pedro Square hangout

spot for fans before and after San Jose Sharks games. Guido said the team couldn't offer that

at Candlestick Park because the nearby infrastructure was so limited.

The Niners expect to sell 1,500 to 2,000 of the season tailgate packages, which went on sale

Friday. The $1.3 million to $1.7 million in revenue will be split between the 49ers and Great

America.

Guido said they are in talks to offer single-game passes to fans who just want to try out the

pavilion once or twice. But he said the 18,000-square-foot venue has capacity issues and

they expect to sell out offering just season passes.

Still, many fans already reeling from paying for new seat licenses, which cost $2,000 to

$80,000 each for the right to buy season tickets, say they aren't sold on spending even more

money and are getting tired of the pricey VIP extras the team is offering.

Dewayne Deams, a season-ticket holder from Hayward, should be a prime candidate for the

tailgate party because, like many others, he is "stumped" on what he's going to do before

games. "I'm down to the point where we might eat at the Great Mall food court in Milpitas

beforehand and take light rail in." So would he sign up for the new tailgate party? "That

something I would definitely want to check out," he said. But he said it'd be too much money

for a season pass.

Barney Yannacone, a season-ticket holder from the Sacramento area, calls himself a

"coaster hound" who travels to theme parks with his daughter. But he balked at the Great

America deal, which would cost him $3,400 for his family of four.

"That's way too expensive for me," Yannacone said. He'll be tailgating the old-fashioned way

-- in the parking lot. The cost to park each car is at least $40.

I'm reading that as the park will be closed on gamedays. Just as I thought as a lot of the parking for the stadium is the cga parking lot. I hope the park goes to year round operation since weather in the Bay Area isn't that cold during the winter.

*edit* yup just checked the parks website

image.thumb.jpg.ad24dd4c87a42104b00ff0053db7b609.jpg

Closed on 49er gamedays

I think he means just more of the "front gate area" coming into the park (from the parking lot to the turnstyles), not replacing the fountains and/or carousel inside of the park.

That's what I mean.

A modern-style entrance like CP's wouldn't really suit CGA. I still think a renovation is still in order sooner than later though, one that sees ticket sales moved off to the side as most parks have it now, and the metal detectors and turnstiles given proper buildings/roofs.

Also, of all of the former Paramount Parks, I always thought CGA was the park that probably should have gotten the fountain upgrades first...

That's what I mean.

Good luck believing that a Gatekeeper-like front gate area would happen with Prudential nearby.

That's what I mean.

Good luck believing that a Gatekeeper-like front gate area would happen with Prudential nearby.

With the coaster probably having sand filled track would prevent Prudential from having a right to complain (You can't really silence a GCI but you can "Silver Bullet" a B&M)

I don't think anyone believes that would ever happen, in fact I think the person who brought this up specifically said no GateKeeper-like coaster.

I'm kinda torn on the new entrance idea (not that itd happen anyway) as nice as CP's entrance is (not considering GateKeeper) CGA's ticket booths have been there forever, were recently renovated (at least on the outside), and are pretty iconic to me. Any improvements I think would have to still incorporate those original booths.

P.S. I know, I have a problem with overuse of parentheses..its like typing with ADD

I don't think anyone believes that would ever happen, in fact I think the person who brought this up specifically said no GateKeeper-like coaster.

I'm kinda torn on the new entrance idea (not that itd happen anyway) as nice as CP's entrance is (not considering GateKeeper) CGA's ticket booths have been there forever, were recently renovated (at least on the outside), and are pretty iconic to me. Any improvements I think would have to still incorporate those original booths.

P.S. I know, I have a problem with overuse of parentheses..its like typing with ADD

I said NO coaster flying through the front people! Just a nice electronic sign, keep the carousel, but make some changes to get more people through.

The new Red Zone concept is pretty interesting. I wonder how well it will sell. There's a ton of money in that area, so it definitely has the potential.

Cant wait to see how they incorporate it into their concerts!