TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

One of the all time great comedies. Hilarious, like the height restriction. It must strictly be for emergency scenarios. Like when the pilot crew eats the fish and comes down with an extreme case of food poisoning, and an ex fighter pilot from the war with a drinking problem/passenger has to land the plane. All flights I've ever seen over CGA, and every flight I've been on approaching the airport over CGA (or taking off) are still really high in the air.

In regards to what user 'singemfrc' said about season pass early entry, I actually don’t have one. I’ve gone on a Saturday before in the summer, just not sure if the season pass early entry thing was in place or if it’s new this year.

2) 2015: Could it be a Star Flyer? WindSeekers won't work because of there single rail system and that's against the single rail system law in California.

Why would CGA get a star flyer when SFDK has one?

CGA does not have a 150 foot limit like SFDK so they could make it 301 ft.

CGA does have height limits in place, if I am not mistaken, it is the height of Drop Tower (around 225 feet) due to the proximity of the San Jose Airport, the same issue keeps height limits for Downtown San Jose.

215-225 feet star flyer for 2015?

Why is Grizzly considered the worst woodie in the world? It is horribly boring, but not very rough. I'm sure other woodies offer more unpleasant experiences.

I finally rode it a few days ago, and I feel the same way. I think it's just a fun little joke that enthusiasts have caught on to, rather than anyone's real opinion - I've been on about 250 coasters so far, and there are significantly worse ones out there. No competition at all.

I suspect part of it might be people getting angry at the ridiculously slow operations - waiting 30 minutes in the station, sitting in the brake run so long that they have an operator doing standup over the PA to keep you occupied. After all that waiting for such a boring coaster I think people come off with worse opinions than the ride experience itself deserves.

Yeah. Why does the ride have seatbelts, then a stapling lap bar that nearly jams, and then ANOTHER belt that is hard to connect and literally attaches the lap bar to the seat? Do you really need all that?

In regards to what user 'singemfrc' said about season pass early entry, I actually don’t have one. I’ve gone on a Saturday before in the summer, just not sure if the season pass early entry thing was in place or if it’s new this year.

ERT Saturday mornings for SP holders is new this year, but last year they did similar "Thank You Thursdays". The park is certainly much busier after it opens to the public on Saturdays.

Why is Grizzly considered the worst woodie in the world? It is horribly boring, but not very rough. I'm sure other woodies offer more unpleasant experiences.

I finally rode it a few days ago, and I feel the same way. I think it's just a fun little joke that enthusiasts have caught on to, rather than anyone's real opinion - I've been on about 250 coasters so far, and there are significantly worse ones out there. No competition at all.

I suspect part of it might be people getting angry at the ridiculously slow operations - waiting 30 minutes in the station, sitting in the brake run so long that they have an operator doing standup over the PA to keep you occupied. After all that waiting for such a boring coaster I think people come off with worse opinions than the ride experience itself deserves.

Yeah. Why does the ride have seatbelts, then a stapling lap bar that nearly jams, and then ANOTHER belt that is hard to connect and literally attaches the lap bar to the seat? Do you really need all that?

Kids be wiggling

215-225 feet star flyer for 2015?

Not happening.

Yeah, three towers in the skyline would look weird, not to mention there are a bunch of other ways the park can better spend their money!

Like a Dinosaurs Alive attraction or a remodel of Demon?

I would love to see some more rides. I know they've done a good job, and Gold Striker is awesome, but the park had been neglected for so long that it could still use a few more rides.

Pavilion-Rendering-1Banner-Revised5.jpg

Great America Pavilion – The Bay Area's Premier Entertainment Venue

California’s Great America, the official amusement park of the San Francisco 49ers, is pleased to announce the opening of Great America Pavilion, an 18,000 sq. ft. multi-purpose facility that will be home to the Red Zone Rally pregame event for all 49ers home games, as well as other Levi’s® Stadium events.

“We’re very excited to be partnering with the 49ers on the Red Zone Rally pregame events,” said California’s Great America Vice President & General Manager Raul Rehnborg. “For 49ers fans and attendees of other Levi’s® Stadium events, Great America Pavilion will be the perfect venue to enjoy the game-day atmosphere, dine on delicious food offerings and easily access Levi’s® Stadium, which is located adjacent to the new facility. Great America’s park guests will enjoy the benefits of Great America Pavilion and it will be an ideal setting for first-class corporate and community events throughout the year.”

“Our neighbors at Great America deliver family-friendly entertainment on a daily basis and we’re excited to have them share their brand of hospitality on 49ers game days,” said 49ers Chief Operating Officer Al Guido. “The Red Zone Rally will be a tremendous pregame destination for 49ers fans.”

During 49ers home contests, the Red Zone Rally at Great America Pavilion opens three hours prior to kickoff, features flat screen televisions throughout, San Francisco 49ers Gold Rush cheerleaders and alumni, an array of live entertainment, interactive activities and incredible dining options.

First to go on sale for the Red Zone Rally is the 10-game season package that includes Great America Pavilion access for all preseason and regular season contests. Season packages may be purchased by phone at 415-GO-49ERS (464-9377) or online. Only the 10-game season pass will be sold at this time.

Great America Pavilion is also one of the Bay Area’s premier venues for corporate meetings and catered events, holiday parties and product launches. On non-game days, Great America Pavilion can be utilized as a single facility, or be divided into three distinct areas, and includes a floor to ceiling stone fireplace, complete audio and visual capabilities, and high-end catering amenities.

https://www.cagreatamerica.com/what-s-new/ga-pavilion

It looks like it will be replaced as well. Unless I can't look at pictures correctly.

Judging by my limited knowledge of CGA's layout, the pavilion isn't quite close enough to the main gate for the picture to include it.

This reminds me of the Downtown Disney-esque concept that Shane uncovered...it's a shame that never came to fruition.

That looks really nice! I feel like the main entrance to the park itself could use some love, too...

It looks like it will be replaced as well. Unless I can't look at pictures correctly.

This is not replacing the main entrance of the park.

You can see on the 2014 map where the improved Pavilion is going:

GA_2014_FINAL.jpg

Left of the entrance?

They should replace entrance with a more "Cedar Point" style. No, I really don't think they need a wing rider over the top, but a nice plaza with new shrubs, electronic sign and a better flow.

Also, do you think CGA will now be a year round park to better compete with the other parks? Also, they could open up the park longer on game days in case anyone wants to ride some rides for post game celebration.

Edited by coasterchitchat