TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Flight Deck is going to look very strange now with red track. At least it looks more striking than the black paint.

I know this is a bit far off, but there is a possibility that Flight Deck will be rethemed to the Bat.

I know this is a bit far off, but there is a possibility that Flight Deck will be rethemed to the Bat.

I don't think so, I'm thinking more along the lines of Afterburn. I was also out there today to go see if they have done anything, most of the lift is still black as well as the lake-turnaround. So i'd say 75% of the drop has no paint, halfway up the lift supports have no paint, the whole loop has no paint, helix has no paint, and the zero-g roll has some of the new paint as well as no paint.

I wonder if this is a 49ers tie-in with the new stadium opening, that looks pretty close to 49er red.

Looks like it. Also take into consideration that this is the main ride that will be visible from the direction of the new stadium. No harm in trying to attract some 49er fans and help boost the parks business. Smart move if you ask me.

Here's a question to those that read this thread... If you had to rename/theme Flight Deck to go along with a 49er/Gold-miner theme, what would it be?

I wonder if this is a 49ers tie-in with the new stadium opening, that looks pretty close to 49er red.

Looks like it. Also take into consideration that this is the main ride that will be visible from the direction of the new stadium. No harm in trying to attract some 49er fans and help boost the parks business. Smart move if you ask me.

Here's a question to those that read this thread... If you had to rename/theme Flight Deck to go along with a 49er/Gold-miner theme, what would it be?

How about rename it "Possessed" so it goes with the Orleans Place location in the park?

That's exactly why that occurred to me, if you look at the stadium from CGA or at CGA from the stadium, Flight Deck is the coaster that jumps out at you.

I don't think they'll go as far as renaming the ride unless it still keeps with the fighter jet theme, otherwise they'd have a whole bunch of queue theming that would made no sense. I think the color tie-in with the 49ers, if any, is meant to be a subtle or subconscious one.

While new color is almost always a good thing, I really liked the previous paint job and thought it fit the theme of the coaster very well. This red is going to take a while to get used to for me.

That's exactly why that occurred to me, if you look at the stadium from CGA or at CGA from the stadium, Flight Deck is the coaster that jumps out at you.

I don't think they'll go as far as renaming the ride unless it still keeps with the fighter jet theme, otherwise they'd have a whole bunch of queue theming that would made no sense. I think the color tie-in with the 49ers, if any, is meant to be a subtle or subconscious one.

While new color is almost always a good thing, I really liked the previous paint job and thought it fit the theme of the coaster very well. This red is going to take a while to get used to for me.

I see them repainting it, So It will get your attention. Like how SFGAm repainted Sky Trek Tower dark blue.

^^I agree that the 49ers red could very well be "subtle or subconscious" as you said, and that this is more likely than it being a hint at a retheming and/or rebranding.

I did like the former color scheme and felt it fit the coaster well, but I have no complaints about the change so far.

^^I agree that the 49ers red could very well be "subtle or subconscious" as you said, and that this is more likely than it being a hint at a retheming and/or rebranding.

I did like the former color scheme and felt it fit the coaster well, but I have no complaints about the change so far.

I dont really think they'd re-theme the ride, but just an interesting question to ask. I can't seem to shake the jet theme since its all I've known.

I dont really think they'd re-theme the ride, but just an interesting question to ask. I can't seem to shake the jet theme since its all I've known.

I tend to agree, I think a "Jets" theme would be way better than a "49ers" theme.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet. Pure speculation but, what if they renamed Flight Deck to Patriot, and give it the red, white and blue paint job as it is at Worlds of Fun? It would fit into Great America's atmosphere perfectly and even possibly bring back some of Marriott's charm. Just my own two bits.

Edited by cwsr

I think I mentioned this earlier but I don't think they're going to rename the coaster something that doesn't fit the Flight Deck theme because then they'd have to redo all the theming around the attraction. Props, building paint, none of it would make sense if they renamed it something football related.

"Touchdown" could refer both to football and to an airplane touching down, but that would be pretty cheesy, I really hope they don't do that.

I'm sorry, but if they name the coaster something even remotely football themed, I'm gonna be mad. I really like the name flight deck and I was pleased with its color scheme, and while it will certainly 'pop' now, I just hope that they don't rename it. Maybe a new logo, at most.

Not a bad idea. Perhaps now Gold Striker can get the Prudential tie-in name it has long deserved.

(waits for the person who doesn't understand sarcasm)

I'd like to give it a Prudential tie-in name too, but it'd probably just bring further law suits from Prudential.