TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

While Haunt may not have Black Widows Cavern, they have something completely bizarre going in at the AFX theater. I'm not sure if they're replacing Happy Feet or finally using the other side...but I'm going to guess and say it's replacing Happy Feet and will be running during day. Funhouse Express seems to have a family-friendly appeal to it. Here's the trailer:

Funhouse Express ran at the Adventuredome for years. It's a decent film, but VERY dated. Ironically our theater now plays Happy Feet too. I don't care for Happy Feet so if it is getting replaced at CGA by anything, even for a short time sounds great to me.

While Haunt may not have Black Widows Cavern, they have something completely bizarre going in at the AFX theater. I'm not sure if they're replacing Happy Feet or finally using the other side...but I'm going to guess and say it's replacing Happy Feet and will be running during day. Funhouse Express seems to have a family-friendly appeal to it. Here's the trailer:

do you mean the log ride won't be done up as a haunt feature this season?

Log ride haunts felt like it were something struggling along to be honest. In 2008/09 as Camp Gonnagetcha it had the weakest scares. Why? The logs move along the lower flume too quick. Same with Black Widow's. It was funny though, we crammed 5 of us (max capacity) in a log when we were flying through way too fast (and we had a flooded log too...wet & smelly shoes to be had!). Was more of a challenge for talent to get us/startle us. Also I have fond memories of doing Black Widows on a rainy Haunt night in 2010...

I do wonder if Logger's will still be running during Haunt.

I've seen that "Fun House" flick before, and it's not bad. But I think the "Haunted House" flick with the cat is the best of the 3D "Halloween" movies (KD used that one last year).

Grizzly is not the worst or roughest wooden coaster in the world (or even that rough), its just incredibly boring and short. I feel most coaster enthusiasts would rather ride a rough coaster than a boring one that doesn't really do anything, and that's the reason Grizzly ranks so low in coaster polls. Also Grizzly's proximity to a large urban area means more enthusiasts have been able to ridden it as opposed to a woodie in a remote area or another country, and more of the enthusiasts/poll rankers that rode Grizzly may have been on less wooden coasters (I have only been on nine so far) so Grizzly could be their worst by default.

I ranked Grizzly the lowest of the nine woodies I've been on, but I know there's worse woodies out there that if/when I ride them will rank them lower. I rode Stampida in 2012, and it has gotten really rough, and I almost ranked it as low as Grizzly, but I couldn't get over the yawn factor of Grizzly. It's a shame for Stampida, because that ride used to be really fun and has a great racing layout. We'll see how rough Ghostrider is at WCB, but I doubt it will displace Grizzly for me. Call me crazy, but I preferred the shakiness of Psyclone to the yawn factor of Grizzly.

If they were able to lower the height requirement of Grizzly, they could keep it around as a family ride as it seems kids who have never been on a big roller coaster before would like it, but since they have Gold Striker now with the same height requirement, Grizzly seems pointless to me. I also hate the fact that every time I've gone to CGA that Grizzly has had longer wait times than most of the rides there including Top Gun/Flight Deck. I would be more forgiving to Grizzly if the wait times were shorter and/or the ride time was longer, but I'm ready for CGA to remove Grizzly in the coming years and build something better.

Funny conversation I had with a guest behind me last weekend while in line for Gold Striker...It was their first time riding it and one had just got off Grizzly. She asks (because it's wood) if the ride's anything like Grizzly. When I told her that it's far crazier than Grizzly, suddenly she got really worried/nervous...and was ready to bail on her friend. We all (including her friend) convinced her into trying it at least once. When they pulled into the station (were on the train ahead of us, they filled 2 of the empty seats), the anxious one didn't look like it would be something she'd do again as it freaked her out

Her friend that was convincing her considered Grizzly as a "Baby Ride" and that she should graduate onto the better ones.

I don't care what people say. At this point, I kind of like Grizzly but I REALLY want to ride GS.

I guarantee, once you ride Gold Striker, your mind will be pretty much saying "What's Grizzly? Why do they still have it?"

Yes I know it can be seen as a "family" coaster but it isn't due to the height requirement...being same as Gold Striker. Due to it having a somewhat demanding requirement defeats the purpose of having such a tame ride in my opinion. Had it had a height requirment similar to Psycho or even Woodstock, it would be another story.

^ The height requirement of Grizzly being the same as GS, has nothing to do whether it's a better family ride. Yeah, it would be better if it was 42 inches, but GS is WAY more intense than Grizzly, so it's definitely a family ride, whereas GS is not, it's an intense coaster, that has the same height restriction as Grizzly.

Grizzly still retains the spot of shame as my least favorite full-sized wooden coaster. Only the Compounce 'Cat and the Hurlers might be more deserving, for adding roughness to the mix of undesirable traits. The handful of coasters right above that are either more charming or have some marginal redeeming value. Overall, Grizzly did nothing for me, despite the slightest hints of negative G's in a couple spots. The one at Kings Dominion dominates it by far.

He yo CGA fans i got a sweet little video for you, Tidal Wave back in 1996 and 2002 posted by psylconesteve who has many retro USA and English videos from the 1990s.

once again i cant post directly to the forums i dont know what im doing wrong, i highlight and click youtube at far right.