TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

One thing I forgot to mention in last night's write up: it sounded like Gold Striker was running a little dry, was making these bat screeching noises starting at midway turn all up until the brake run. It was a different sounding screech from what I heard during promo shoot or even the screeching Tonerre De Zeus at Park Asterix does now. It still hauled but the sounds were cringe-worthy, like nails on a chalkboard.

I notice this on Lightning Racer all the time when the trains are nearly empty. Was the train full?

The train was completely full when it made the noise. The ride was down this morning with maintenance workers walking the tack and inspecting the rails it looked like. (Going off a friends facebook picture.) What im thinking is they were putting a type of lube on the rails so it doesn't make that noise anymore.

The park announced a new show today that will be featured at Halloween Haunt!

"Enter this abandoned movie theater at your own risk as the owner has gone mad! For one last night, he will view his favorite horror movies before the wrecking ball destroys his life. To his shock, the screen comes to life and haunts his soul. Do you dare to join the viewing party???"

This is the first show in Halloween Haunt history to feature ice skaters!

1150376_657432127602587_431327292_n.jpg.d20aca28ac30cac6fe0b9737273de626.jpg

That would suck if they're having problems with the track, I really don't want GS to get rough.

I recall hearing that squeal during the promo shoot and when asked, they said it was due to the different wheel configurations they were trying. Maybe they switched out wheels while more are on order? Who knows

That would suck if they're having problems with the track, I really don't want GS to get rough.

I recall hearing that squeal during the promo shoot and when asked, they said it was due to the different wheel configurations they were trying. Maybe they switched out wheels while more are on order? Who knows

How are they trying a different wheel configuration?

Has Gold Striker opened back up yet?

CGA is no longer in daily operation so I imagine whatever was going on, assuming its maintenance, should be back this Saturday. CGA's last weekday operation was Monday this week...Saturday is the soonest we'll know (since I'll be heading out of the park Saturday).

CGA is no longer in daily operation so I imagine whatever was going on, assuming its maintenance, should be back this Saturday. CGA's last weekday operation was Monday this week...Saturday is the soonest we'll know (since I'll be heading out of the park Saturday).

Ahhh, got it. Thanks!

I'm surprised they go to weekends and Fridays only so soon, quite a few east coast parks still operate all week.

I'm surprised they go to weekends and Fridays only so soon, quite a few east coast parks still operate all week.

Many schools actually started this week and last week. Not sure how school districts are in your location but schools in my area actually started today. It wouldn't make much sense for a park to open when kids are in school and the rest of us are at work.

Many schools actually started this week and last week. Not sure how school districts are in your location but schools in my area actually started today. It wouldn't make much sense for a park to open when kids are in school and the rest of us are at work.

This is my second week of school.

I took a road trip up north a couple weekends back and got my first Gold Striker rides in (only twice, unfortunately). I was worried that it was all a lot of hype over another so-so GCI, but it truly was a great coaster. It's probably my favorite GCI now (only Thunderhead and Der El Toro really compare for me, though I haven't been on Prowler or Knight Valley's yet), and it's certainly in my top ten wood coaster list. Congrats to the locals, you probably now have the best coaster on the west coast.

It's also a good sign that GCI's designs seem to be improving over time.

"Enter this abandoned movie theater at your own risk as the owner has gone mad! For one last night, he will view his favorite horror movies before the wrecking ball destroys his life. To his shock, the screen comes to life and haunts his soul. Do you dare to join the viewing party???"

A show with killer ice skaters running over people and chopping them up with their skates could be terribly awesome!

A show with killer ice skaters running over people and chopping them up with their skates could be terribly awesome!

And fake blood squirting onto the front row, can call it the "Bloody Squirt Zone"