TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I know I'm in the minority on this one but I would like to see boomerang bay go. It's taking up valuable real estate that could be used for a new coaster and some flats. I know it isn't going anywhere but it's something I have thought about since stealth was removed and the water park was built.

On to reality though I don't think we get anything new until 2015. Just the usual new shows and fresh coats of paint. But I do think we get something big in 2015. Something tall with lots of airtime.

Gold Striker has its first evacuation today! One of the trains was at the crest of the lift.

Wonder how long its going to be down for.

It's running beautifully again! Was down for 2 hours.

Solid night of riding Gold Striker! I think I hit 10 laps, plus as I got there earlier, I was able to snag a ride on Delirium, Tiki Twirl, and a couple rides on Flight Deck! I will post some random photos tomorrow, was experimenting with some night photos.

Lots of enthusiasts tonight too, nice meeting up with XYZ and riding a few laps on Gold Striker!

Got back from CGA's Thank You Thursdays event. The lines were much shorter than the last event and I got the most rides I ever got on Gold Striker in a single day.

I went on my first upcharge ever, Xtreme Skyflyer as $10 was a great deal. It was worth it, in my opinion.

Also, it was nice meeting with some other TPR members such as Angry Gumball & Jeffy Joseph Nor Cal.

So, I'm still wide awake...meaning, here's some random photos of the night!

CGA-5-2.thumb.jpg.82c5258a442f7fba3f9c7c3b9cd14412.jpg

Thank You Thursdays round 2...Well, we got here a little early to snag some other rides!

CGA-5-2_5.thumb.jpg.c7f17290192ab40ced8692cfef2b9909.jpg

After the evac earlier, Gold Striker was testing and we got in line. We waited about 5 minutes at the time we got there...and it had cycled for 10 minutes prior to opening.

CGA-5-2_22.thumb.jpg.a3f02924ae859a8b58361c8e7a4b2ea7.jpg

So let's get artsy!

CGA-5-2_25.thumb.jpg.0c7addd9960699e45bcced2089e7b86a.jpg

CGA-5-2_36.thumb.jpg.e9fc2924c246ad6d73bab3645264e69a.jpg

Golden Columbia

CGA-5-2_45.thumb.jpg.603bc24e7f6f53cf2035eade6c6c5e09.jpg

Hmm...something looks familiar in this shop. Apparently I'm now on display!

CGA-5-2_49.thumb.jpg.231db5888ff92e25ea3f4f7f20e23fc8.jpg

More Ghost Rider...I mean Gold Striker :)

CGA-5-2_46.thumb.jpg.0e0205b1103cc46967fc605a72bb4e22.jpg

And yes, I approve of this...yea I totally got my photos out of sequence just now :)

CGA-5-2_50.thumb.jpg.5cf1b90ff5a01a908d463b3f1488ea3e.jpg

And a final ghostly shot of Goldy's train!

The operations were great on Gold Striker last night. There was a few times where one train was already on the lift hill when the other train was going into the station without stacking.

Yea, the one ride in particular (first ERT ride of the night) we were just exiting the brake run and not even in transfer building yet when the other train was leaving the building...take that, Grizzly crew!

FD crew seemed to be a little slower last night with the 2 rides I did. Whoop whoop! (Wait, we aren't at SFMM!)

Edit: people disgust me...fresh paint doesn't mean to start writing on the walls again. Gold Striker queue is NOT a notepad.

image.thumb.jpg.07de139e3e94201aa6cd88e91c0bb901.jpg

image.jpg.f480faf3a7c467f2519f9c683012d420.jpg

'Twas nice seeing clean fences anyway...won't last long.

^So with that said, the markings should just wipe off when they do their routine cleaning as opposed to carving the writing out every day? At lease some of the vandals were smart enough to memorize the quadratic formula...

My theory as to why this is happening in this section more so than by the switchbacks and the rest of the queue...you have an area that is completely secluded, away from cameras, and out of view of any employees...plus you have a large 'writing space' if you want to call it that. I'd think that if another camera or two were installed (before, in tunnel, and perhaps even a 3rd one just past it) it could tone it down quite a bit...maybe not all but should put things under control if people visually see that they're being watched...and not just a sign warning them. And of course while vandalism is throughout the park, it is most prominent over at Gold Striker in the 'secluded/hidden' parts of the queue.

And it's because the YOLOgeneration/today's kids attention spans are shot.

In the end it disgusts me...the park management doesn't go to their cars in the lot and start writing stupid "follow me on IG" garbage on their cars.

Was at CGA today.

Rode Goldy for the first time, and I got to say... Gold Striker is one of the BEST wooden coasters out there. This is coming from a person that has ridden some of the best wooden ones there are such as Voyage, El Toro, and Lightning Racer.

Other comments

-park was packed. extremely packed. Thank the Cedar Fair gods for Fast Lane

-lines for everything. Waited almost an hour to get food.

-Good operations on all but Grizzly

-A "Pardon our dust" sign in front of Grizzly. IRON GRIZZLY! NEW FOR 2014

Was at CGA today.

Rode Goldy for the first time, and I got to say... Gold Striker is one of the BEST wooden coasters out there. This is coming from a person that has ridden some of the best wooden ones there are such as Voyage, El Toro, and Lightning Racer.

Other comments

You're joking about Grizzly being closed right? The park will probably NOT be modifying Grizzly immediately after they build a new wooden coaster.

Was at CGA today.

Other comments

You're joking about Grizzly being closed right? The park will probably NOT be modifying Grizzly immediately after they build a new wooden coaster.

It wasn't closed. They were doing some Haunt construction in the back and had a "Please Pardon our Dust" sign up in the front. Just a joke.

Was at CGA today.

Other comments

I was wondering how packed it was today with the Summersplash concert going on, good thing you got Fast Lane! Just curious but how were the lines for the rides? ( I'm sure they were long, just wondering how long.)

^ It would be cool though. RMC can probably spice up Grizzly only a little since Grizzly is kind of short and I doubt that RMC can do much with the limited space. Unless.......... stretch parts of Grizzly underground and have some overbanks and some inversions.

Grizzly has a Pardon Our Dust sign as they're actually renovating some of the old fencing...they did that by Vortex about a month or so ago, replacing old fencing. Sorry, but yea...Grizzly isn't going to be ironed anytime soon

And yes the operations are horrid...I don't bother riding it even if it's just a station wait.

But we can dream...as I did

993949_3187301777392_1401370159_n.jpg

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Well.. I didn't wait much. But-

Gold Striker- 1 hour

Flight Deck- 45 minutes

Demon- 1 hour

Vortex- 30 minutes

Grizzly- 40 minutes

Tiki Twirl- 1 hour

Mouse- 1 hour

Drop Tower- 30 minutes

Every food stand in the park- 1 hour (even the Dippin Dots stands had 20 minute waits)

As for the concert, most concert folks waited outside the Amphitheater as it was open seating.

Also, I was VERY surprised that we were not able to find something as simple as a grilled chicken sandwich in the entire park. I don't want to say it, but their food selection has almost sank to Six Flag's level this year.

I went to CGA today and left after 2 hours since the lines were too long. I knew it was a bad sign seeing some activity in the Amphitheater.

Nice.

Honestly, if Grizzly's drop was steeper and the long, drawn out hills were replaced by airtime hills, like on KD's Grizzly, I would be happy.

I went to CGA today and left after 2 hours since the lines were too long. I knew it was a bad sign seeing some activity in the Amphitheater.

Nice.

Honestly, if Grizzly's drop was steeper and the long, drawn out hills were replaced by airtime hills, like on KD's Grizzly, I would be happy.

I was thinking how Grizzly would be more fun if there was an underground section something like Hades.

Gold Striker- 1 hour

Flight Deck- 45 minutes

Demon- 1 hour

Vortex- 30 minutes

Grizzly- 40 minutes

Tiki Twirl- 1 hour

Mouse- 1 hour

Drop Tower- 30 minutes

Every food stand in the park- 1 hour (even the Dippin Dots stands had 20 minute waits)

As for the concert, most concert folks waited outside the Amphitheater as it was open seating.

Also, I was VERY surprised that we were not able to find something as simple as a grilled chicken sandwich in the entire park. I don't want to say it, but their food selection has almost sank to Six Flag's level this year.

You must have been very determined to ride Psycho Mouse

Gold Striker- 1 hour

Flight Deck- 45 minutes

Demon- 1 hour

Vortex- 30 minutes

Grizzly- 40 minutes

Tiki Twirl- 1 hour

Mouse- 1 hour

Drop Tower- 30 minutes

You must have been very determined to ride Psycho Mouse

Didn't have to wait, because I had Fast Lane. But assuming you guys would ask, I found the waits to all the rides. I got my Mouse credit a couple of years ago, I wouldn't wait 10 minutes for that thing.

Good day at the park today, gotta love the light weekday crowds. My nephew and I boosted our gold striker ride total from 12 to 26 today thanks to the lack of people. Nearly everything was a walk on all day except for gold striker, that line kept steady at around 20 minute waits until the last hour of the day. Had one of my best rides ever on flight deck today getting multiple grey outs all over.

Gold striker was running fantastic as always and really wore me out throughout the day.

Some quick things.

The graffiti is definitely ridiculous on GS.

Vortex never had more than a handful of people on a train at a time, even saw some empty trains cycling all day.

Orbit was down for half the day.

The smell of puke seemed to be everywhere, even right at opening.

Rode loggers run and did not get one drop of water on me, first time ever getting off that ride without being even a little wet.

Had my first bad ride of the season on demon.

Little kids + bumper cars = stuck in a massive pile up for the entire ride.

image.thumb.jpg.5d32e8850b3e0400f1e49999934638b4.jpg

Hello Goldstriker I missed you

image.thumb.jpg.3700ae02ac8520c271e1d5b041f3965b.jpg

For the acers?

image.thumb.jpg.692c45160267d494426ca015b8230f26.jpg

Favorite part of Flight Deck