TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

It's interesting to hear that on your Demon the second to last row is the "magic seat" as I've always found the very back to our to be the best on ours. It's fairly smooth, has great airtime on the first drop, and is pretty intense in the loops as well. I'd love to hear from someone who's ridden both of them recently, because as far as I know other than the entrance to the first drop both rides are exactly the same, yet yours is rated 7 spots higher on Mitch Hawkers poll. I figured that yours was smoother, but it's sounding like that might not be the case.

I also love the back seat on "our" Demon. CGA is one of the parks I'd really like to visit in the next few years- if nothing else I's love to ride Eagle's Flight!

Does the CGA Demon play the whole soundtrack? I have a clip of that song on my iPod.

Our Demon once played Mambo #5, Single Ladies, and 500 miles (along with other pop songs)... I haven't been in the queue since they changed out the in-park music.

It's interesting to hear that on your Demon the second to last row is the "magic seat" as I've always found the very back to our to be the best on ours. It's fairly smooth, has great airtime on the first drop, and is pretty intense in the loops as well. I'd love to hear from someone who's ridden both of them recently, because as far as I know other than the entrance to the first drop both rides are exactly the same, yet yours is rated 7 spots higher on Mitch Hawkers poll. I figured that yours was smoother, but it's sounding like that might not be the case.

I like the second to last row more since it has more legroom than the last row.

I'm ready for this Thursday's 2nd ERT session (I believe it's their last Thank You Thursday event), and really tempted to fly again in the dark ($10 flights, that's a steal!)!

Good news - they just announced theyre opening Flight Deck instead of Vortex this Thursday night.

I'm ready for this Thursday's 2nd ERT session (I believe it's their last Thank You Thursday event), and really tempted to fly again in the dark ($10 flights, that's a steal!)!

Good news - they just announced theyre opening Flight Deck instead of Vortex this Thursday night.

This makes sense since there wasn't many people on Vortex last week, though my one-person rides on Vortex were actually very good rides in Vortex standards.

I'm happy to hear that they replaced Vortex with Flight Deck, especially after my rough Sunday ride on it! I wondered why they didn't have FD running last week as you're pretty much almost there once you pass Rue Le Dodge. With that said, it should help disperse crowds and perhaps shorter lines for Gold Striker

So... is it too early to begin thinking next season?

Though I think nothing huge will be added, I wouldn't be surprised to see a small Boomerang Bay expansion along with some TLC around the park. Maybe a 49ers themed sports bar to celebrate the new neighbors. Anyone have different thoughts?

Though I think nothing huge will be added, I wouldn't be surprised to see a small Boomerang Bay expansion along with some TLC around the park. Maybe a 49ers themed sports bar to celebrate the new neighbors. Anyone have different thoughts?

I really like the idea of a 49ers sports bar. That would be a nice addition I think. Especially if it's not ridiculously priced.

I'm always thinking about what's in store for the future and upcoming seasons...I just don't post too much about it on the boards...keeping my pipe dreams among my coaster enthusiast friends. Actually, something I remember reading (but could no longer find after I initially read it) was during the dark days of CGA when it almost fell into the clutches of JMA. When the JMA purchase fell through and CF was to remain the long term owner of the park, it was mentioned about a new coaster and water slide attraction. Well, the roller coaster happened (obviously, being Gold Striker). Now that water slide attraction I initially read about, I have never been able to find again since I read it back in December 2012.

I do feel Boomerang Bay is lacking, as much as it has a kick@$$ slide (Down Under Thunder). But it needs more slides...2 body slides and 3 raft slides are a bit lacking and I usually spend as little as maybe 15 minutes in BB (riding DUT a few times) to maybe an hour/1.5 hours doing everything before drying off and going back to regular park mode. I do like however that BB does have 2 slides that are friendly to street clothes (only needing to take off shoes/socks) without having to change entirely and all of that.

What about a Proslide KrakenRACER or something along those lines.

http://www.proslide.com/ride/krakenracer/

It seems to be a smaller , people eating, family ride. Sounds like a good fit for the park. It could go somewhere back in between Flight Deck and BB. My other thought for future expansion in the park would be moving the picnic pavilions all up to around the lagoon near Flight Deck. There is a decent amount of space up there that could in turn free up some expansion room in the back. Then of course, there is Invertagarden that needs to be dealt with at some point too.

For 2014, CGA should either get a new slide tower for Boomerang Bay or 2/3 flats to replace Invertigo. The slide tower is probably more needed since the park already has a good flat selection, but the waterpark only has five full-size slides. Some type of bowl slide would probably be a good fit, or if Cedar Fair wanted to really invest and have a unique ride a water coaster would be a huge draw, but any type of slide tower would be good. However, since the park just got Gold Striker this year, I wouldn't be surprised if there is nothing significant next year (despite the park feeling the most lacking of the Cedar Fair parks I've visited).

You know, a Zamperla Air Race would look nice in the Invertigarden location.

I've been saying that for quite awhile, almost since the air race made its debut. The closest one to us is at Lagoon and im not about to travel all the way to Utah.

They just need some nice addition. I feel like they are still one of the worst Cedar Fair parks, not because of rides, but because of water slides. Like DP has Wildwater Kingdom, WOF has Oceans of Funs, and Michigan's Adventure has Wildwater Adventure.

They just need some nice addition. I feel like they are still one of the worst Cedar Fair parks, not because of rides, but because of water slides. Like DP has Wildwater Kingdom, WOF has Oceans of Funs, and Michigan's Adventure has Wildwater Adventure.

All the water parks you listed are over ten years older than Boomerang Bay. I'd give Boomerang Bay some time to expand.

I've been saying that for quite awhile, almost since the air race made its debut. The closest one to us is at Lagoon and im not about to travel all the way to Utah.

They are making their way around, just not in the U.S. quite yet. One thing I think people don't realize is how low capacity the ride is. On Zamperla's website, it states it's only 480 pph. They could do the 8-arm version to increase the capacity, but it would still only by 600 pph. I believe that's why they aren't popping up everywhere.

They are making their way around, just not in the U.S. quite yet. One thing I think people don't realize is how low capacity the ride is. On Zamperla's website, it states it's only 480 pph. They could do the 8-arm version to increase the capacity, but it would still only by 600 pph. I believe that's why they aren't popping up everywhere.

That could be why, but CGA still has some low capacity flats, such as Flying eagles because people like to have a bird to themselves. But it's just a pipeline dream right now.

That could be why, but CGA still has some low capacity flats, such as Flying eagles because people like to have a bird to themselves. But it's just a pipeline dream right now.

I think they could do a duo installation. Each turning in opposite directions. Similar to how S&S install duo towers.

I think they could do a duo installation. Each turning in opposite directions. Similar to how S&S install duo towers.

That's kinda what I was thinking too. It would look pretty cool to see them "Dueling" and it would increase capacity.

That's kinda what I was thinking too. It would look pretty cool to see them "Dueling" and it would increase capacity.

It would be really cool if they went for the triple dueling, and had one above the other two facing down at them. And it would also triple the capacity.