TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

If they are resurrecting Hatchet High in some way that could only be a good thing. Still one of my all-time favorite Haunt mazes.

As for the CGA/SFDK comparison (I know I'm late to the party on this one)

On my recent SFDK trip we only rode 3 rides, Superman, V2 and Sky Screamer. Due to previous visits didn't really have any desire to ride anything else and we didn't want to wait for the horrible operations that still plague Medusa (for some inexplicable reason). We did however see the Tiger show and the new Cirque show and enjoyed them both tremendously. We also did a few of the animal attractions (sharks, etc). So if you like animal shows and animals then you'll enjoy SFDK. And if it's your first visit then you'll want to ride more than we did, obviously.

While I think that CGA is improving (Gold Striker is awesome) it still has a ways to go. CGA right now reminds me of Knott's about 3 years ago. They are on the "cusp" of becoming a great park. They just need to go that extra step in improving some more infrastructure and maybe 1 or 2 more attractions to get them there. Not even coasters necessarily but the whole stretch from Gold Striker to Drop Tower really is a lot of nothing. Replacing Vortex with something like a Maverick style coaster would put CGA on the map instantly.

All that said, I think I agree with most everybody else. With the added waterpark and great package of flat/water rides I'd go with CGA.

^ I'd still like to see them replace Invertigo with something other than a patch of grass before removing Vortex. You're so right about them being on the cusp of being a great park though, you can just feel it that they're just 1 or 2 attractions away from being something really special.

I really hope that they add that 1 or 2 attractions they need to push them there. Its been a long time since the last time I visited. Gold Rusher has been some fuel to get me interested again. How is their haunt event compared to Knotts? Any similarities in terms of quality?

Today was a great day out at the park again. No real news to share other than that the foundation has been poured for the Zombie High (ZH) maze (Behind Grizzly).

526368_184583888385072_1167902134_n.jpg

No real visible changes on Dia De Los Muertos (now on calling it DDLM or DOTD)

Some random tidbits from today:

-Played the rather addicting wheel spinner game where I won a BOGO basketball game, a BOGO churro, and finally a front of the line pass (naturally I use it for Gold Striker, where I got front row).

-My neighbor and cousin won a BOGO Sky Flyer ride so we all split costs and did that...my neck is actually a little bit sore from the pressure of the skycoaster vest...rubbing and such.

-Vortex ran like today...I took the last row, far right seat. Glad I got it out of the way early

-Clench 'n Squish on Logger's, didn't get too wet

-And of course, airtime-filled rides on Gold Striker! Some good sustained pops of ejector airtime and actually got the perfect moment of zero-g floater air for a nice sustained period! Yes, my mind is still blown by Gold Striker (and not because it's my home park/me being a CGA fanboy)

-Lastly, Flight Deck's shark train felt like it was struck by a sharknado....was running a little rough once we got in the helix. Eagle train however ran pretty smooth.

I'm ready for this Thursday's 2nd ERT session (I believe it's their last Thank You Thursday event), and really tempted to fly again in the dark ($10 flights, that's a steal!)!

^ I'd still like to see them replace Invertigo with something other than a patch of grass before removing Vortex. You're so right about them being on the cusp of being a great park though, you can just feel it that they're just 1 or 2 attractions away from being something really special.

I agree. They need another good flat or two, and another really solid coaster, and they would be up there with the best. Not world class park, but good enough to make me visit more often.

I went to CGA today and I noticed that Demon was running pretty bad, especially for this year. I rode the "magic seat" (2nd to last row, right seat) and I got a really rough ride. It's too bad since last week, it was rather smooth.

^Maybe it's now an "evil magic seat."

There's definitely some dark magic going on with that ride. On my last visit I made the mistake of riding the Demon while a headache was forming, needless to say I was in pain for many hours afterwards haha.

On a side note it's too bad they rarely play the opening sound clip of the demonic voice welcoming us to the ride.

^ I had perfectly smooth (as it gets) rides in the front and back rows of both trains a few weeks ago. It's pretty much a crap shoot, I no longer believe in a magic seat/row. I did notice there was no audio when I was there, so I did my best to reproduce it I really enjoy that short audio clip, I wish they'd get that working.

^ "Welcome to the Demon! hahahaha!" (which sounds like he's instead saying Nom nom nom nom nom!) Or if we want to go way back...*whispers* "Welcome to the Demon! I hope you survive in 1 piece!"

I haven't ridden Demon in a little while but when I did, We (Blue Fire Guy and I) were both seeking the most painful row possible just for the fun of it (YOLO). We sat up front in the non-freshly rehabbed train and to our surprise, the ride was actually smooth. I haven't actually sat in the "magic arrow seat" for probably a good month or so now. The dreaded smaller 2nd loop wasn't so bad and the only part that sucked, but sucked just slightly less was the coathanger transition into the corkscrews and coming out.

How Arrow got the corkscrews themselves amazing but the transitions in and out of them horribly baffles me.

*begins wrapping wire around a pencil*

Ok, so that's how they did it!

Edited by Angry_Gumball

I find Demon to be just very temperamental. Sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's rough as hell and will beat you up. I've ridden this grouchy old Arrow in many different rows, including the "magic seat", and it's just really random and I cannot guess what mood it'll be in. I find that it doesn't matter where one sits, it's always a game of Russian roulette.

As for the demonic voice in the pre-lift tunnel, it was working every single time I rode it in 2012, but hasn't worked during any of my rides this season.

Edited by Blue Fire Guy

On the other hand, I've pretty much figured out Vortex and found out why I heard screams of pain/cursing to my right while I was saying "Wow! This is smooth!" Basically, when riding Vortex, you pretty much want to stay on the 2 inside seats. The outside left and right seats are the ones that will smash you skull. Here's a representation of one's rides/seating configuration on Vortex, using our lovely emoticons:

So yea, giving bags to somebody else to put in bins next time, to guarantee my sitting/standing in inside seats

Now to take an ibuprofen...all this talk about rough rides gave me a headache

I've always found on coasters with double corkscrews that the first is usually rough and sometimes painful, and then the second is actually quite smooth. Anyone else feel the same way?

The first corkscrew is smooth, it's just that the transition into the first corkscrew is rough, in my opinion.

I've always found on coasters with double corkscrews that the first is usually rough and sometimes painful, and then the second is actually quite smooth. Anyone else feel the same way?

The first corkscrew is smooth, it's just that the transition into the first corkscrew is rough, in my opinion.

Yeah it feels like that for the first corkscrew on some of them too, but usually the first one is rough for me though.

^ Going into the corkscrews is definitely worse than coming out of them, the track work leading into the first one is just plain bizarre (the Chinese knockoffs look even worse though). What's weird about the transition out of the second corkscrew is that it looks ok, but gives you one last donkey punch there.

It's interesting to hear that on your Demon the second to last row is the "magic seat" as I've always found the very back to our to be the best on ours. It's fairly smooth, has great airtime on the first drop, and is pretty intense in the loops as well. I'd love to hear from someone who's ridden both of them recently, because as far as I know other than the entrance to the first drop both rides are exactly the same, yet yours is rated 7 spots higher on Mitch Hawkers poll. I figured that yours was smoother, but it's sounding like that might not be the case.

The only part of the demon I dislike is going into and coming out of the loops. Just the bumpyness in between the loops and going into the first loop can get uncomfortable for me. For the horrible transition into the corkscrews I generally brace myself pretty good and don't bang my head at all.

By the way I'm heading out there on the 6th if anyone wants to meet up with me and my nephew and strike some gold

It's interesting to hear that on your Demon the second to last row is the "magic seat" as I've always found the very back to our to be the best on ours. It's fairly smooth, has great airtime on the first drop, and is pretty intense in the loops as well. I'd love to hear from someone who's ridden both of them recently, because as far as I know other than the entrance to the first drop both rides are exactly the same, yet yours is rated 7 spots higher on Mitch Hawkers poll. I figured that yours was smoother, but it's sounding like that might not be the case.

I also love the back seat on "our" Demon. CGA is one of the parks I'd really like to visit in the next few years- if nothing else I's love to ride Eagle's Flight!

Does the CGA Demon play the whole soundtrack? I have a clip of that song on my iPod.