TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

ClubTPR offers a discount at CGA!

Yeah, and it's an AWESOME discount at the moment. The site linked through the Club TPR member benefits has a July special of admission for $25 when you buy 2 or more tickets.

On another note, I went to the park today with my brother in law and 2 sons. I ran into most of the TPR CGA regulars. It seemed like they were having a good time, as did we. Attendance seemed fairly light to me, but I don't have much in the way to compare it to since it was my first visit to the park in 2 years. We had Fast Lane passes, but wouldn't have had a bad day even if we hadn't. I got to finally take several spins on Gold Striker and I can report that it definitely lives up to the hype. The thing that surprised me most was the unrelenting speed that it carries through the entire course. I don't think there's a bad seat on the ride, but I preferred the back of the train myself.

As has been posted in this thread before, Happy Feet in the Action Theatre was kind of lame, but it was nice to be inside the chilly air conditioned building for 10 minutes or so. Other than that, the park was pretty close to how I remembered it from my last visit, other than being spruced up a bit and the queues being a little weird with the widespread application of Fast Lane to many of the rides. Although the way the queues are run now result in nearly empty station buildings, save for those riders awaiting the next train for a coaster, I do appreciate that they now have groupers at many of the rides.

While the park still has a ways to go, it certainly seems to be headed in the right direction.

Quick writeup for today...

Overall a pretty solid visit and shout-outs to TPR member Mechanic, nice running into you again! (Last time I saw/met you was 2011 Bay Area Weekend at SFDK/CGA).

Highlights:

-7 laps on Gold Striker, running amazingly! Lots of back row rides to be had! Just made sure I would click myself in all the way before riding!

-Gold Striker opened...with the park!!! I actually got on the first train of the day!

-Some new Hauntness (See photos below)

-Manageable crowds...shorter lines for Gold Striker that were about 20 minute waits. Toward the end of the day, everyone thought it would be a good idea to ride Flight Deck and that had a nearly full queue

-Finally heard the music. Really adds to atmosphere but volume-wise it's a hit and miss. I know they're working on it. Where I noticed it strongest was over by the Flyers with the oldies music...can not go wrong with classics! Glad the "iPod playlist" is gone

-Vortex running...SMOOTH?!? In the back row?!? What's going on?

-Looks like Grizzly got a new bin (been there for a while actually but I *seldom* ride it these days so I wouldn't know what goes on there anymore.

-Forgot to mention about the small wood cubbies at Vortex now gone...and lower locking bins added to Vortex. I now feel better about setting my bag down before boarding.

Lowlights:

More graffiti/continuous graffiti. I was kind of thinking in line earlier...especially in the dark tunnel part of the queue...whether if a faux rock wall or even stucco would make it next to impossible to graffiti...and do it in dark rock-like colors. Fence-wise, that's another issue. Light colors seem to be an attractant for graffiti...On the flipside, the entire queue has been now replaced with heavy gauge wire that one will end up breaking their fingers before the metal even considers thinking of bending... Back to the graffiti... I find photos on Instagram in which people were touting that they were writing on Gold Striker's queue. Smart, no?

image.thumb.jpg.dca9e571f7aae23dd659e1665d76acfa.jpg

Smart...

Flipside...

image.thumb.jpg.dca9e571f7aae23dd659e1665d76acfa.jpg

Smart...

I'm now anxious to check out the ERT session this Thursday...a great way to wind down after a busy day at work And here's some photos for you all!

IMG_6184.thumb.jpg.630676e235a5452df3b2fda1d795fb10.jpg

Let's start off the day...what do you see? (Common event that happened, all day...sadly..)

IMG_6190.thumb.jpg.32178df65c1be9ebfb8ec16aae60c01d.jpg

Here's new "Hauntness" No. 1...Dia De Los Muertos! Maze is taking shape rather quick...wait, what's this?

IMG_6194.thumb.jpg.0170048cf91455f5f9862ad97d04e88a.jpg

Paint!

IMG_6191.thumb.jpg.c83347d6913833d79591cab854ea0c41.jpg

Mean time, it looks like it could potentially be a busy day at the park.

IMG_6192.thumb.jpg.fca6bfee4c5439696ed5220837d5ede2.jpg

Just for the fun of it...here's some tunnels...side tunnels, half tunnels, full tunnels...all to be taken!

IMG_6196.thumb.jpg.466c059113f521c338b75d2e4e16f597.jpg

Still on Star Tower, one last look at DDLM.

IMG_6198.thumb.jpg.81bfae5427f5a9106fe9fb7ca362f3bf.jpg

Over at the back of the park. No, we are NOT giving Grizzly a courtesy ride.

IMG_6200.thumb.jpg.642ab19a27adde974fc8bd890e92f9ea.jpg

Instead, we are here to see what's going on behind Grizzly. Land cleared...Wait, what's that on the lower left?

IMG_6201.thumb.jpg.feeb8258d175e81fb94bc70eee4c3fa3.jpg

Ah....I see what you're doing, CGA...trying to give us a hint or something?

IMG_6206.thumb.jpg.d1c251be1fb42e0fa974d4a41e9835ff.jpg

And I'll end this update with a few random shots of Gold Striker as that was one of our main focuses today :)

IMG_6202.thumb.jpg.16bb4de27524a569cc155ed4f053d8a7.jpg

I basically used my mega-zoom point 'n shoot camera to get random closeups of random riders on Gold Striker :)

IMG_6187.thumb.jpg.c4f0db9c87ce3553eaf52ae7a1c3d006.jpg

Taking the tunnel momentarily

IMG_6197.thumb.jpg.6531ea021e82202d6529246eecb253a3.jpg

And I'll end it here...I shared this before but I am still digging this giant banner at the front of the park :)

image.thumb.jpg.5f86cd630e0ec2e2225ba4556c702436.jpg

Haha...GS ate your sharpie :)

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Just made sure I would clickity clack clucky ducky QUACK myself in all the way before riding!

I love this filter!

Your pics of DDLM turned out very nice, it's the middle of July and I'm already excited for Haunt! And yes, I am more than ready for those two hours of night ERT for passholders, haven't had a single night ride on GS since the one I had on June 1st.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Vortex now has new plastic storage bins replacing the cubbies on the other side of the station, one for each train. Nothing really major, but it's new.

Vortex running...SMOOTH?!? In the back row?!? What's going on?
When I was there on 7/8, Vortex was down the whole day. The employee blocking the entrance said he was told they were replacing wheels on the trains. If it's true, it might have something to do with it.

^^^ Figures, they use the photo from the one ride where I decided to put on this unnaturally big ridiculous smile for the whole ride. It doesn't help that it looks like I have a Hitler-stache in that photo.

Also, that awkward moment when you find a picture of graffiti that says "Reina<3" and then looking at the Twitter handle and realizing that you actually know "Reina" and are friends with the person who wrote said graffiti.

I visited the park last week and just want to say that Gold Striker did not disappoint! While the ride is not my favorite GCI (that position still belongs to Thunderhead), it is an excellent ride and just edges out Apocalypse as the best wooden coaster on the West Coast. Due to limited time, I only got to ride twice, both times in a middle row, so I can only imagine how much better the ride probably is in the back (seems to be the best seat on most GCI coasters). Definitely a much needed addition to California's Great America, and California's best 2013 coaster.

More graffiti/continuous graffiti. I was kind of thinking in line earlier...especially in the dark tunnel part of the queue...whether if a faux rock wall or even stucco would make it next to impossible to graffiti...and do it in dark rock-like colors. Fence-wise, that's another issue. Light colors seem to be an attractant for graffiti...On the flipside, the entire queue has been now replaced with heavy gauge wire that one will end up breaking their fingers before the metal even considers thinking of bending... Back to the graffiti... I find photos on Instagram in which people were touting that they were writing on Gold Striker's queue. Smart, no?

Gold Striker's queue is the worst for graffiti I've ever seen. Both times I rode, I saw at least a couple people writing on the fence outside between the tunnel and the stairs, almost as if it was some kind of public message board. For now, I hope the park just keeps the ride going, but over the off-season hopefully everything is cleaned up and graffiti-proof material is installed (and/or warning signs stating something along the lines of "Defacing this wall WILL result in immediate ejection from the park!" and then strictly enforcing them).

Gold Striker's queue is the worst for graffiti I've ever seen.

Gold Striker's queue is definitely bad in terms of graffiti, but nothing compared to T-Express's (bucket list coaster for many, including me) queue. The following two photos are from the TPR Korea Tour Mini-Update, you can check it out in the park index:

everland57_194.jpg.f21865d49fab7135ce937a4fafe2bf5c.jpg

everland58_901.jpg.d0f6b87d8459efbc69343a486dde0263.jpg

Gold Striker's queue is the worst for graffiti I've ever seen.

Gold Striker's queue is definitely bad in terms of graffiti, but nothing compared to T-Express's (bucket list coaster for many, including me) queue. The following two photos are from the TPR Korea Tour Mini-Update, you can check it out in the park index:

Wow...that makes Gold Striker's queue look spotless clean. In the end any form of vandalism on a ride disgusts me. I can care less if Joe Schmoe was there...so was I and thousands of other guests. Also in terms of graffiti, I have seen a couple (glad it's not worse) gang stuff. Reason why I'm mentioning being glad that its not worse because I'd rather CGA not become overrun by the ghetto/gangster crowd.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

One of my proudest enthusiast moments was getting this terrible teenager kicked out of SFWoA for writing with Sharpie all over Villain's queue. She was so dumb though and tried to deny it to security but we had photos and she had written her own name and still had the sharpie on her!

One of my proudest enthusiast moments was getting this terrible teenager kicked out of SFWoA for writing with Sharpie all over Villain's queue. She was so dumb though and tried to deny it to security but we had photos and she had written her own name and still had the sharpie on her!

Awesome! There's nothing more satisfying than getting an idiot kicked out of a park...which I have done twice now...both involving a guest getting physical. And one was from a youth group/church leader at a local FEC who grabbed my brother.

At least security actually did something for you. When I worked at SFDK, I would constantly call security for vandalism, line jumping, etc. There were good security guards who would work with us to rectify the problem, but a lot of them would just bitch at us for wasting their time and leave.

As for the person I know whose graffiti you pictured, I would talk to him, but he's one of those with the viewpoint "We have a right to make our artwork and anyone who tries to stop us just wants to oppress us". In other words, talking to him is like talking to a brick wall.

At least security actually did something for you. When I worked at SFDK, I would constantly call security for vandalism, line jumping, etc. There were good security guards who would work with us to rectify the problem, but a lot of them would just bitch at us for wasting their time and leave.

That's cause they were too busy handing out beatings.

I've worked at KBF and currently work for the DLR and whenever graffiti is reported, Security takes it VERY seriously. In the instances where the guests were actually caught red handed they were ejected from the park and arrested. Sad that SFDK doesn't take it that seriously......

As for the person I know whose graffiti you pictured, I would talk to him, but he's one of those with the viewpoint "We have a right to make our artwork and anyone who tries to stop us just wants to oppress us". In other words, talking to him is like talking to a brick wall.

It's not artwork it's crap. They have NO RIGHT to intentionally vandalize and deface privately owned property- that is not something anyone is entitled to. All that 'oppress" and 'artwork' nonsense is just a lame excuse to try to validate what they are doing is wrong. So by their reasoning then, if I go to their house and tag it- write stuff all over their house and car, that is okay because I'm just expressing my 'artwork' and if you tell me I can't then that is oppression?

God, people are so dumb it sickens me.

I agree with you, talking to them is a total waste of time.

I've worked at KBF and currently work for the DLR and whenever graffiti is reported, Security takes it VERY seriously. In the instances where the guests were actually caught red handed they were ejected from the park and arrested. Sad that SFDK doesn't take it that seriously......

Well no parks/chains take it as seriously as Disney in my opinion, but you're right, I think they should.

Well no parks/chains take it as seriously as Disney in my opinion, but you're right, I think they should.

I do know that CGA does take line jumping pretty serious, when people are caught anyway.

I do know that CGA does take line jumping pretty serious, when people are caught anyway.

But the thing is that they never are. Whenever I go, and go to CGA quite often, people line jump and no one does a single thing about it, even some staff have seen it and not said a word. Maybe it depends who is monitoring the line because some of the employees don't even care.

So, I went to CGA today and here are some of my observations:

-Gold Striker's graffiti wasn't as bad as usual.

-Survivor valleyed today on the bottom of the north spike, so it was closed.

-A lot of rides were closed when the ride was still operating with people onboard. Strange.

-Gold Striker's line was pretty short as the line did not even reach the switchback area.