TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

So I had a quick question and I figured this thread might be good for a micro poll.

I'll be heading up to San Francisco the weekend of 8/10 and have a free day where I can fit in 1 Norcal park.

Should I make it SFDK or CGA?

Never been to either, so I'm looking at 8 credits either way.

Votes and reasons? Thanks everyone for their input.

^That's a good question. Back in 2009 I would have said SFDK without hesitation as it was a shining jewel of the Six Flags chain, seemed more like a Sea World or Busch caliber park. Plus CGA was looking like crap since everyone figured they were about to close! After Robb's latest Bay Area Visit though, he feels that the tides are turning and that CGA looked fresh and had great staff, whereas SFDK was on a downward trend.

We've always noticed in markets with two decent sized parks, there always seems to be one on the way up and one on the way down. They flip flop this position every few years for sure, but it just never seems like both can be doing well at the same time!

Tough choice... SFDK has the animals while CGA has the water park (and more water rides). Both have awesome new coasters (superman, Gold Striker)... If you pick one, just be sure to make it a point to head back this way again to do the other park! So maybe flip a coin?

Deep inside I'm really saying to hit up CGA, and ride Gold Striker!

This is how I'm leaning as well. I tend to prefer woodies and would love to ride a brand new GCI.

I also have a new Premier with Full Throttle down here at SFMM which seems to be getting better reviews than SUF...

^That's a good question. Back in 2009 I would have said SFDK without hesitation as it was a shining jewel of the Six Flags chain, seemed more like a Sea World or Busch caliber park. Plus CGA was looking like crap since everyone figured they were about to close! After Robb's latest Bay Area Visit though, he feels that the tides are turning and that CGA looked fresh and had great staff, whereas SFDK was on a downward trend.

Robb is right on the money here, CGA has made a very noticeable comeback with GS and all the park improvements and is now my preferred bay area park to SFDK (SCBB isn't really bay area, but is a really awesome park). Roar, the bay area's other GCI is now running like Ship High In Transit, probably due to poor maintenance. Last year it was just ok, but now it's extremely rough and will re-adjust your spine. Medusa has god-awful operations for a B&M, and the rest of the park is just really Six Flags-ey now.

I've heard GCIs have gotten a lot better since Roar and considering CGA is maintaining Grizzly really well right now, I'm confident they will do the same with GS and not let it deteriorate into a death machine.

Edited by Blue Fire Guy

This is how I'm leaning as well. I tend to prefer woodies and would love to ride a brand new GCI.

I also have a new Premier with YOLOcoaster down here at SFMM which seems to be getting better reviews than SUF...

Riding Roar will leave much to be desired (it's a fun ride, but nowhere near as wild as Gold Striker). And I will confirm what Blue Fire Guy said...it is running awful this season...good if you want a hardcore back massage or spinal realignment. It's NorCal's Ghost Rider (with much less airtime).

Mind made, visit CGA!

Gold Striker looks really good in that POV. It kind of reminds me of Thunderhead with how relentless it is through the whole course.

I have to say that CGA definitely looks like it has a real good 1-2 punch now with Gold Striker and Flight Deck.

I agree about how Gold Striker, as well as some of the other improvements, really brought life into this park. Coaster lineup wise, I would probably place both parks at a tie. However, CGA has a vastly superior flat ride selection, more family rides, more consistent operations, and a much better water ride selection with Boomerang Bay (actually, I still think CGA would have the slight edge in water rides even without BB).

Overall now CGA>SFDK

I agree about how Gold Striker, as well as some of the other improvements, really brought life into this park. Coaster lineup wise, I would probably place both parks at a tie. However, CGA has a vastly superior flat ride selection, more family rides, more consistent operations, and a much better water ride selection with Boomerang Bay (actually, I still think CGA would have the slight edge in water rides even without BB).

Overall now CGA>SFDK

Considering CGA has a log flume, rapids, and a spill water...and SFDK only has rapids and spill water...CGA has an edge over SFDK in that dept.

As others said, the park has taken more life this season, comparing to how things were looking between 2009-2011 (which weren't looking good, excluding Haunt). There's still room for it to grow and improve but its on the right path and has vastly improved this season! Shoot, even 2012 was a great season as they had a future attraction to promote.

Off topic but yesterday was haunt job fair. One of my co workers got hired and told me everything that is happening and it's pretty exciting. I won't ruin it for people who want to wait for Offical announcements but if you wanna know just ask also nobody mentioned it but cornstakers is getting a new layout and moving from the back to the front to make room for a new maze.