TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Grizzly doesn't need sound walls? I guess not if nobody ever screams on it!

Technically, both Grizzly and Demon were built before the offices were built next to that edge of the park so any complaints can fall under a "you built your office next to a roller coaster so deal with it" response from Great America. Unfortunately for Great America, they have not been able to expand that from "roller coaster" to "amusement park" thanks to I assume Prudential and other companies in the office space having more political power with the local city council and planning boards. (That is pure speculation, but I do know that it is a lot easier to move an office to a new building in another city than to move an entire amusement park and businesses leaving town never goes down well during elections.)

^ Still their fault in my book for moving in next to CGA, which in my opinion trumps all the noise ordinance and informal agreements. It should be common knowledge that amusement parks add, remove, and move attractions within their border over time, it's definitely not a valid excuse to me to say "well there wasnt a roller coaster on this side of the park back then".

You guys seem to be having trouble understanding that Cedar Fair/CGA are the ones who got themselves in this mess to begin with.

While I am not a fan of owners of nearby businesses/homes built long after a loud operation has been in business complaining, Prudential is within their rights with this particular case. Yes, a loud operation should have every right to operate as they always have if new neighbors show up. The thing is though, no matter how long a loud operation has been there, if both parties sign an agreement, they are each responsible for upholding their end of the deal, even if the loud operation has legal precedence over its neighbors. CF/CGA agreed to meet noise requirements, and they are obligated to meet them. No ordinance regarding who has priority can change that once the contract is signed.

The park didn't have to agree to those terms, but they signed the contract and now have to live up to the expectations set forth by it.

^ Still their fault in my book for moving in next to CGA, which in my opinion trumps all the noise ordinance and informal agreements. It should be common knowledge that amusement parks add, remove, and move attractions within their border over time, it's definitely not a valid excuse to me to say "well there wasnt a roller coaster on this side of the park back then".

Lets say you buy a house next to a theme park because you are under the assumption your homeowners association has an agreement with the theme park to keep noise to an acceptable level...and then the theme park goes and exceeds those noise levels to the point it disrupts your life. Do you just go "oh well, I made this choice," or do you say "hey, wait a minute...you guys aren't living up to your end of the deal?"

^^ Honestly even with an agreement in place I would stay away from that property, an amusement park at acceptable noise levels is still an amusement park. If I were in that situation however, I would certainly be angry that they didn't live up to their end of the deal, but I would also blame myself for moving in there. I'd try methods of sound insulating my building, if that didn't work I would consider moving. I would not stand on my roof with a boom mic writing decibel levels on a steno pad and tattle tale to the city.

OK that last part was a cheap jab, but still I'm being 100% honest..I wouldn't do that. Unfortunately I realize that I'm probably in the minority in that regard.

I actually had a similar situation at my last place..when my next door neighbor moved in we both agreed on noise levels and times that would be acceptable..he then proceeded to shred that agreement and wipe certain places with it. I went to him and explained once that conducting an indoor wrestling league while playing beer pong and blasting rap music at 8am on a wednesday was simply unacceptable. Again, he agreed, but this agreement was so much of the paper that I referred to earlier.

I then moved out to a much better neighborhood. I'm happy and he's happy. Whoever moved into my old place probably not so much.

I completely understand that an agreement had to have been made otherwise, we would have probably never seen this coaster materialize. And I praise CGA for quick response on fixing what was too loud (the middle finger to the offices). On the flipside though, if it weren't for the initial complaints in the early phase (think way back, during CGA's early CF years), then (my guess) there wouldn't need to be an agreement and all of this noise mitigation. Again just a guess so don't quote me on this.

While I can see 1 party thinking that the area where they own offices has been dormant for a while, that doesn't mean that the park was always going to leave that area dormant. Parks do expand and try to use what land they have at their disposal. In the end, I feel it was a huge mistake from the get-go to even allow offices to go up next to the park...thanks City of Santa Clara

My main concern is how things will be for future attractions at the park. I know CGA is just trying to be the good neighbor and comply. I do hope though that the neighbors, ready to raise another stink about that .00001db too loud of a scream/roar, don't put a damper on things.

^ In that situation, I would have made absolutely sure of things before buying rather than assuming.

A more accurate representation of the current situation would be for me to have said "you are sure the HOA has an agreement in place."

^^ Honestly even with an agreement in place I would stay away from that property, an amusement park at acceptable noise levels is still an amusement park. If I were in that situation however, I would certainly be angry that they didn't live up to their end of the deal, but I would also blame myself for moving in there. I'd try methods of sound insulating my building, if that didn't work I would consider moving. I would not stand on my roof with a boom mic writing decibel levels on a steno pad and tattle tale to the city.

I should have added that this hypothetical home of yours is a dream property of yours (which is essentially what this office complex is: close to freeway, hotels, airport in the heart of Silicon Valley) besides the fact it is close to a theme park. And you already paid a huge amount for it.

My main concern is how things will be for future attractions at the park. I know CGA is just trying to be the good neighbor and comply. I do hope though that the neighbors, ready to raise another stink about that .00001db too loud of a scream/roar, don't put a damper on things.

I suspect Cedar Fair will be sure they comply with the agreement from the beginning. I can't imagine a repeat of this.

Currently, the point is that any politics that may have gone on in the past are now over. We are happy we have a new coaster, the park is happy it is open, and the tenets are probably happier that the coaster is now in harmony with the agreement. Sure, the mess did happen, but it is now over.

Now, if the park were to build more in the future, why not look more into the east side? A satellite image shows that the east side is quite far from any outside real-estate. Also, a coaster has been built in this area before, meaning noise is probably not an issue. Granted, with the addition of Boomerang Bay, some shoehorning would have to be done. But, considering how compact GS is, this seems entirely possible. This park will probably not reverie any more major installations any time soon, but this does seem like an ideal location to place a new installation, if they so desire.

Now, if the park were to build more in the future, why not look more into the east side? A satellite image shows that the east side is quite far from any outside real-estate. Also, a coaster has been built in this area before, meaning noise is probably not an issue. Granted, with the addition of Boomerang Bay, some shoehorning would have to be done. But, considering how compact GS is, this seems entirely possible. This park will probably not reverie any more major installations any time soon, but this does seem like an ideal location to place a new installation, if they so desire.

Though this is just a fanboy dream, I always visioned something along the east side behind the rapids. Something launched (I am refraining from using the term "Maverick Clone"), like a Mack mega coaster or Intamin blitz coaster. My thoughts were of it running along where the train tracks were (launch section) and use some of the space between FD and Rapids before heading back toward Boomerang Bay, where it could go over the rapids and such. Just a pipe dream though and I don't imagine anything like this coming anytime soon...only perhaps some flat rides for the next couple seasons.

That new spinner game in front of Gold Striker is sick as fuck. I got a buy one get one funnel cake ticket yesterday and it was -pretty- much the best day of my life.

lol sick as fudge. Love this forum.

That new spinner game in front of Gold Striker is sick as fudge. I got a buy one get one funnel cake ticket yesterday and it was -pretty- much the best day of my life.

lol sick as fudge. Love this forum.

Glad to see that we got one of these games, I've seen them at other CF parks and was hoping we would get one.

Took A trip to CGA yesterday, here's a short update

IMG_0602.thumb.JPG.6d5928ea1d747d927575149dc1646265.JPG

First was Gold Striker, finally got a chance to ride, it was awesome.

IMG_0603.thumb.JPG.bd146ca1b6fbdf766c575ce29640f7ad.JPG

IMG_0605.thumb.JPG.b3d9c5c7fb1a67270874e3f13df8b4bb.JPG

IMG_0608.thumb.JPG.91b16d5177ba63a2f09ae9970efb9690.JPG

Vortex was actually running pretty smooth today.

IMG_0610.thumb.JPG.77991cec61cf507417d3cf2feba52556.JPG

Flight Deck, sexy as usual

IMG_0616.thumb.JPG.366bdb223999bfdc39d3ecc35e29269b.JPG

IMG_0622.thumb.JPG.a4100f4685007970e42bb18df6e771e1.JPG

FireFall was running today, with fire and everything

IMG_0621.thumb.JPG.3dad06e1481ccaa7a1ed878db2f72b6a.JPG

NERD SHOT

IMG_0626.thumb.JPG.7bc98d106a1eeed0edb8640ab2462342.JPG

Just a little too early

IMG_0627.thumb.JPG.b0059975aefe026926f099591b8ffa8f.JPG

Just a little too late

IMG_0636.thumb.JPG.ceb2130e0696040aec368e58bb15d583.JPG

Drop Tower had 5 Cabins running today

IMG_0637.thumb.JPG.352d0d87483466d10a84280587688858.JPG

AHHHHHHHHHH

^ I have no idea what game we're talking about as I haven't been to the park in about a week now. So if anyone would be so kind to post a picture, thank you.

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45427&start=5775

It's on the KI thread, though the one at CGA is basically identical.

Ok, that does seem like a really awesome deal. $2 and win some pretty cool prizes.

^ Vortex and smooth in the same sentence.....that does not compute.

Another fun day at CGA (Wow, I've been there like...every weekend since GS has opened!). Group consisted of JeffyJosephNorcal, my neighbor, cousin, Blue Fire Guy, and myself. Crowds were moderate and Gold Striker had about an hour wait throughout the day. Definitely worth its wait in gold. So the new tunnel, what we all think of it? I personally don't mind it, love blasting downward though it at a higher speed. When you ride in the back, it immediately becomes an Oh sh** moment as it provides a great head/hand chopper effect. It definitely helps contain the screams too.

Notable highlights:

-After riding Gold Striker twice this morning, we ventured to FD which was a walk-on. Keep in mind, this was around 11:20.

-The wheel spinner was a hit among guests and many were winning front-of-the-line passes.

-My neighbor (who is now a TPR member) has been unable to ride coasters for the past 6 weeks as she did some damage to her coccyx on V2, trying to hop into the seat and missing her landing...today was her 'welcome back' visit and her first official ride since GS opened to the public.

-Checked out On Broadway again, a pretty enjoyable show!

-Don't know what possessed us, but we decided to ride Vortex in the back row, with head firmly planted against rest...hello ear smashing! I usually extend my neck forward to get a decent ride but today, we were deciding to be masochists and punish ourselves.

-A lot of issues with the GS queue were addressed. I'm glad the park decided to go with heavier grade metal fencing where it got severely damaged. Now let's see some idiots try bending the wires...they'll end up hurting their hands before the wire even comes close to thinking of bending

-Spotted some Haunt maze construction (see pix)

-Lastly, final ride on GS...came to be quite brutal. TPR member Blue Fire Guy and I were riding with 1 arm up and the other holding lap bar to prevent becoming heavily stapled. I was sitting on the right side. We both had right arms up and on the double up before one of the final turns, BFG accidentally elbow punches me full force in the cheek...ouch! This is just a reminder how crazy this coaster can be. I'm fine now but it completely caught both of us off guard.

IMG_5449.thumb.jpg.44b8230c276c51bba3fe9aa83b00d6b5.jpg

CGA had their main entry plaza nicely decorated for Independence Day Weekend.

IMG_5469.thumb.jpg.163df671524c4560eb9757352b7a006d.jpg

Upon entering the GS queue, we noticed something different...something I will call "New Canvas" as...you guessed it, more graffiti! Thankfully, there's a camera near by to hopefully fend off/catch these pesky vandals.

IMG_5450.thumb.jpg.b6969df510db85e98f20bfbccfd4c539.jpg

And...new higher strength metal fencing! Yes, highly durable, a good long-run investment!

IMG_5462.thumb.jpg.09dac6983c11b6b3c579292a4043e1c6.jpg

(Already posted above) this game was a huge hit today.

IMG_5463.thumb.jpg.198489521e7f5e265838e274fe82abdf.jpg

Crews were running extremely efficient ;)

IMG_5470.thumb.jpg.410a494b2baa1979e93b266c0579fe06.jpg

:)

IMG_5458.thumb.jpg.27465264c8dc2d103718e465d1ea1140.jpg

And (already posted a few pages ago via XYZ, thanks for the pix), new tunnel! Sweet effect coming down!

IMG_5467.thumb.jpg.d97145b3d3ce96a2e3371ebf5be57ce0.jpg

Backside view of tunnel...this should keep the neighbors more than satisfied, as well as keep everything within the agreement!

IMG_5461.thumb.jpg.c1bf0972941b8301917824a826d8a981.jpg

Ooh...what's this? New maze construction! I did see an element of Club Blood...it was used in the On Broadway show :)

IMG_5477.thumb.jpg.8d07ad6bc03228861967fa2d96e1bf86.jpg

Video game nerds will be video game nerds..."MY POKEYMANS....LET ME SHOW YOU DEM!" (thanks for the pic, Jeff :) )

IMG_5452.thumb.jpg.f2572fec0adc540de38b18c8f7d709fe.jpg

After 6 weeks of no coasters (only a single ride on GG's lapbar monorail) my neighbor/now TPR member is back on line and ready to ride!

IMG_5480.jpg.43639ba7377f51804d504a01cf3233b4.jpg

And I'll conclude this mini TR with a ghetto "picture of a picture" (that I purchased) of our onride photo, now that my neighbor's back in the groove!