TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

That's awesome news! I did see a pile of wood at the foot of the P-turn during my rides yesterday, and I'm guessing that'll be for the new tunnel. This leaves one question unanswered: How is the ride still open?

Also, yay for me losing my 5-person Didgeridoo Falls run virginity! That was possibly the craziest thing I've ever done at the park, right up there with clench-n-squish Logger's rides. Lots of walltime (vertical to overbanked walltime), out of control. On the second run, I smacked my head into Angry_Gumball's shoulder at the end, which hurt, but in a way that added to the sheer insanity. Definitely want to do it on another visit this summer.

On the second run, I smacked my head into Angry_Gumball's shoulder at the end, which hurt, but in a way that added to the sheer insanity. Definitely want to do it on another visit this summer.

That second run ended in some pain for me too, as Flagg O'Dim's shoulder plowed into my nose haha. It was awesome to get some 5-man runs though! I felt myself lift off the raft a bit during some of the highest wall-climbing sections, definitely a rush.

It must have been crazy with the temps yesterday, I applaud you guys for braving the park on such a hot day.

Thankfully it wasn't all that hot, I was expecting high 90s, but it seems we only got high 80s. Judging by how packed Boomerang Bay got, I suspect everyone else was expecting blistering heat as well.

Speaking of our bumps and bruises, I am actually still a little sore from that hydroplaning action I got on the straight body slide. My upper back felt like it was skipping across like a stone. A sore reminder of the awesomeness to be had yesterday.

And what happens to me in Castaway creek? Towards the end of my lap, I'm relaxing eyes shut floating along on my tube when I suddenly feel my right side lift up...quickly I try to regain my balance and stay on my tube when my flailing arms accidentally smacked Blue Fire Guy

We were all just beating each other up yesterday

Just a minor nitpick but shouldn't a 'wait from this point' be a fixed number and not a variable?

Nope. The wait time can vary depending on the amount of trains they have online, rows they are loading (in case one car has a bad lap bar or something), a technical delay, etc.

Just a minor nitpick but shouldn't a 'wait from this point' be a fixed number and not a variable?

Nope. The wait time can vary depending on the amount of trains they have online, rows they are loading (in case one car has a bad lap bar or something), a technical delay, etc.

I just thought it was a little odd to see something as low as a 15 minute wait from that point when it is actually a little longer when running both trains. We actually waited about 25 minutes on average yesterday (thanks to the lack of switchbacks and crowds). My guess from the point of where that sign is at, the queue using no overflow switchbacks, running both trains and all seats available is a good 30 minute wait. The max wait times on there however are pretty relevant as we've waited up to 80 minutes on the first couple weekends.

Speaking of wait time depending on a variety of factors, Psycho Mouse ran surprisingly efficient operations yesterday, really amazing crew this year!

Last year: One train is going up the lift while the other hits the final brakes at a given time, and a lot in the station.

This year: One train going up the lift, another just finishing the switchbacks about to go down the drop, another hitting the final brakes at a given time, and some in the station.

I totally forgot to mention how fast the Psycho Mouse crew was cranking out trains this season! In the station, there's 1 train that's unloading riders, one loading riders, and one waiting to dispatch.

If only another crew for a certain coaster not far from Psycho can take note (rather than having us sit in the brake run for 4-5 minutes while the ride ops perform standup comedy and attempt getting both Train A and Train B to do the wave).

Also speaking of crews, the Gold Striker crew only seems to be getting better as there were many times (out of my 7 rides I did yesterday) we just went right through the transfer building into the station. When we did wait in transfer building, it was really minimal (maybe 10-20 seconds).

Before you guys direct your blame to Prudential, it is worth noting again that Cedar Fair (albeit under the old executive team) agreed to these terms. So IMO, the blame goes to the park for failing to account for this. Seems that the structural design for these were already there, so why not just build them from the start?

Hopefully this is a quick fix, since we are now approaching the major 4th of July holiday weekend...

^^ I was afraid of that.... Too bad you didn't get to ride it. Hopefully this "maintenance" (We all know what it is) will breeze through pretty quick. At the same time I think this down time is actually a good thing as now the park can address the issues in the queue...such as repainting the new canvas for more vandalism (You know, the wooden fences...as we all know its inevitable), and fix some of the broken sections on the wire fence (where you can now literally stick your head through). Some of the metal wires now have sharp welds on it from where the cross wires were popped off...and lots of stray wires hanging with sharp edges. With the ride not open, they can actually take the time and do the necessary fixes rather than the morning scramble before the park opens.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

^ The fencing up closer to the station has a thicker, sturdier mesh that's virtually unmalleable by even the strongest human hands. If the current thin, malleable mesh in the rest of the queue is replaced with the sturdier mesh up towards the station, this problem would be easily solved.

And yes, I too think this period of time will be useful in getting rid of vandalism...namely pieces of gum that I saw on the track (thankfully not on the rails, but pretty damn close) right next to the final staircase into the station (which will likely be removed when the track is next walked). I knew this would happen sooner or later, as currently it's frighteningly easy for an idiot to throw or spit something onto the track while on that final staircase.

^ I'm just amazed at how easily bored people get waiting on one of the faster moving lines in the park...so bored that they have to doodle on the walls (saw some people acting like they were writing on walls in tunnel), and squeeze the wire on the fence/bend it until it's fatigued. Part of me wonders that if they had monitors in the tunnel and the switchback part of the queue, playing back stuff about Gold Striker (stating the rules, stating about line jumping in an entertaining tone) that it may distract some people...but again maybe not. Or just install more cameras and hold to what they say on their signs (that they already had to replace...that are again getting chipped).

I know what heavier gauge metal is more costly so covering that long of a stretch could be a tad difficult. On the flipside, they would probably never have to replace it again vs constantly having to go out and keep replacing the current (almost chicken wire-like) metal mesh.

On the flipside, they would probably never have to replace it again vs constantly having to go out and keep replacing the current (almost chicken wire-like) metal mesh.

This is the main reason why I think it would be a good investment in the long run to use the thicker mesh in that area of the queue. If the thin mesh is used again, it will most likely be torn apart (considering what's already happened) and have to be replaced over and over again.

Given this, I wouldn't count on it. I have a feeling it could be ready be weekend though. Don't quote me on it however as its just speculation.

I'm liking the tunnel add on by the way. This is one of the air pop spots (in back rows).

image.jpg.8040fd207dc0a456b27584f676567d53.jpg

Photo kindly jacked from someone's Instagram :)

I'm actually pretty excited to take this tunnel (Yes, TPR catchphrase pun intended). It looks like an extension on the existing framework we saw at the base of the P-turn. I only imagine the bracing was put up ahead of time in preparation of possibly having to cover it up.

On a different note (just uploaded), here's a quick vid I took of Flagg O' Dimm and RJVader taking a spin on Down Under Thunder (and catching some air!)

Just got back from a nice day at the park. The day started off with walking up to gold striker to see what was going on, with an employee standing at the entrance telling us it was closed for now and would open later in the day(Nope). Practically everything was a walk on, longest wait we had was for grizzly which was about 30 minutes(any other ride would have been 10 minutes with the amount of people in line). Needless to say it will be my last ride on grizzly as the restraints are tight and uncomfortable on my legs. While on drop tower I couldn't help but imagine what could be put in grizzlys place with all the space surrounding the grizzly plus the space it takes up(Lots of room!!)

The tunnel being put up on GS could be done by Wednesday very easily. I'm sure it needs to cover the entire turn so it just needs the framing up which seemed to be going up rather quick. I felt bad for the ride ops that were standing in the station all day with nothing to do, the day probably dragged on for them.

A few quick notes.

Yellow train on demon is money, smooth as an arrow can be.

First ride on fire fall today, was actually pretty good. Expected my shoulders to hurt but nope.

Was very hot today so water rides were ridden quite often.

Grey outs on flight deck!

Psycho mouse crew was putting cars out quick.

Let's hope anyway. I'm keeping expectations low as the P's seem hard to satisfy. I wonder if we will hear anything officially from the park about it reopening? I'd like to be able to know before I plan my next CGA visit. I mean, the cat's out of the bag and has been made hugely public. I'm actually hoping all of this public exposure will make people finally wake up and realize how ridiculous this whole fiasco is.