TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I got back from CGA for the first time in almost two years. Here are some of my observations:

-Gold Striker lives up to the hype! It's an amazing wooden coaster and is now my favorite wooden coaster in California. I guess the wait really did pay off.

-Grizzly's new queue is unacceptable. The ramps have been a great queue line and now it is barely used as a Fast Lane queue. I'd rather have them put the Fast Lane queue where the new queue is and have the normal line go back to where it originally was.

-Grizzly's new lap bar seat belt seems very unnecessary as Giant Dipper also has Morgan trains and just has a lap bar. (Grizzly has a lap bar, seat belt, and lap bar seat belt).

-The new Happy Feet 3D film in the Action Theater is good, though it lacks in quality. It would be better if it was a 2D film. Though, it still is better than SpongeBob.

-Flight Deck is great, as usual.

-The 49ers Stadium is looking great.

-Pizza Orleans' parmesan is still powdery.

-It was great to meet the TPR group that goes to CGA often.

Edited by XYZ

-Grizzly's new lap bar seat belt seems very unnecessary as Giant Dipper also has Morgan trains and just has a lap bar. (Grizzly has a lap bar, seat belt, and lap bar seat belt).

Why GD's Morgan trains only use simple single-position lap bars (efficient operation, decent airtime on most hills) while Grizzly's Morgan trains have to use a tangled mess of belts along with the lap bars (sslllooooww operation, no airtime, a lot of nothingness) is beyond me. You'd probably survive Grizzly just fine with no restraints considering it's airtimeless layout, lol!

Quick write up from the weekend.

-New Broadway show was excellent!

-Gold Striker crew is picking up the pace

-More trains were stopped on the lift due to illegal onride filming. In fact the riders in front of BFG and I on one of our laps was filming (and had no camera control)...was praying the whole time it wouldn't come loose and hit us. Vid may make it on YouTube...and I may see us blocking our faces should the phone break loose from their hands.

-Grizzly...why did I even bother riding you? Operations were horrid. Trains were being dispatched every 5 minutes. The ride ops were actually trying to entertain us in the brake run and such...which was a fail as we were all just wanting to get off.

-Did I really see 3 cars running on Psycho Mouse's track at once? One was leaving station, one mid course, and a train just coming into brake run. They were cranking the trains out quick!

-Gold Striker in wet conditions proves to be quite an experience...just wish the rain didn't stop as soon as we dispatched.

-As posted previous page, the Prudes (as we call them) were conducting noise tests outside of their building with boom mic Saturday.

-Shout-out to running into a fellow TPR member at FD's queue...being XYZ! Nice to finally put a face to the name

-Lastly, wait times Saturday and Sunday averaged about 30-50 minutes. I rode GS 6x Sat and 5x Sunday.

And a couple noteworthy photos...

All in all this was a great weekend! Can't wait to go back!

image.thumb.jpg.f6372f4fc87b042a8cedd2603281e58a.jpg

I can live with this kind of queue...which was like this several times Sunday. Yes these people in background were debating whether to ride or not. Why not decide before queuing?

image.thumb.jpg.b02ab13272ec60cee589f9e2117202fa.jpg

And a Super Moon rising behind Gold Striker...man this was bright!

^Was your group the ones wearing the Gold Striker t-shirts on Saturday? I meant to ask if you were from TPR, but I never got around to it sadly. (I was the kid in the blue Dragster shirt if you saw me.)

As for Gold Striker, it surprised the heck out off me! I had a feeling it was going to be good, but I didn't think it would end up as one of my favorite rides in the state! The ride is very smooth for a wood coaster (Yes, I know it just opened, but its still note worthy), has tons of those air time "pops", takes almost every element at a crazy fast speed, and it over all just a really, really fun ride!

^Was your group the ones wearing the Gold Striker t-shirts on Saturday? I meant to ask if you were from TPR, but I never got around to it sadly. (I was the kid in the blue Dragster shirt if you saw me.)

As for Gold Striker, it surprised the heck out off me! I had a feeling it was going to be good, but I didn't think it would end up as one of my favorite rides in the state! The ride is very smooth for a wood coaster (Yes, I know it just opened, but its still note worthy), has tons of those air time "pops", takes almost every element at a crazy fast speed, and it over all just a really, really fun ride!

I did see you! Yes, I was in the brown Gold Striker shirt! Only 2 of us had the GS shirts. but yup you saw us! I even went as far as pointing out the fact that somebody was wearing a TTD shirt. You were next in line

^ Yep, that was me.

So, whats going on with those people noise testing in the office building next to GS? I know there was already a discussion about them, but what exactly are they try to prove? That the ride is to loud so the park needs to shut it down? Or the ride is to loud so they need to build a giant 100 ft tall solid brick wall around the ride, just so they can complain about how ugly the wall is? There's no such thing as "stop" to these people...

^ Yep, that was me.

So, whats going on with those people noise testing in the office building next to GS? I know there was already a discussion about them, but what exactly are they try to prove? That the ride is to loud so the park needs to shut it down? Or the ride is to loud so they need to build a giant 100 ft tall solid brick wall around the ride, just so they can complain about how ugly the wall is? There's no such thing as "stop" to these people...

I'm sure there is a certain db level they must be under and they are just collecting the data.

^ Yep, that was me.

I'm sure there is a certain db level they must be under and they are just collecting the data.

Collecting data, conducting noise tests to see if what permanent modifications done to the ride are sufficient. I'm hoping that everything is going good with the tests, would hate to see it go SBNO at the end of the month (they have until the 30th to test noise levels). I'm sure what was done already should be good enough and will get the final approval to keep it running as opposed to the temporary permit they have now to operate it.

Love the rain!! Got on GS 5 times in 30 minutes today, tried the front, back, row 8, row 2 and row 4.

Definitely thought row 4 was the best- what's everyone elses favorite spots? I'm usually all about the back on coasters, but this one seems to have the most pop in row 4/5...

Saturday I actually had a pretty crazy ride in row 2, red train. That double up into the second to last turn can get you if you aren't paying attention. But in the end, every row provides a solid experience.

Speaking of the double up, I had yet another body slam/head smash into fellow rider's shoulder...as well as me (accidentally) elbow punching the fellow rider yes, that is the strangest moment in the ride!

Another tip...riding solo? Sit on the left side of the train and feel the forces in the turnarounds! With no bodies to act as buffer on the right, you practically end up laying in the empty seat!

I'm sure there is a certain db level they must be under and they are

Collecting data, conducting noise tests to see if what permanent modifications done to the ride are sufficient. I'm hoping that everything is going good with the tests, would hate to see it go SBNO at the end of the month (they have until the 30th to test noise levels). I'm sure what was done already should be good enough and will get the final approval to keep it running as opposed to the temporary permit they have now to operate it.

I'm going on the first. I really hope that its all worked out. Would really be a bummer if it isn't.

^ Yup! Can't keep your hands up if if you want to keep the loose restraint...takes a good bit of effort!

My restraint was fairly loose yesterday on my last ride( I thought it was down more.) really got some insane moments of air, almost feels like your standing.

Going tomorrow to ride Gold Striker for the first time!! Anyone know what the lines should be like if I get there 5 minutes before the park opens? Will there be lines for the first few hours?

Today, the lines were 10 minutes long for Gold Striker, if that helps you.

Going tomorrow to ride Gold Striker for the first time!! Anyone know what the lines should be like if I get there 5 minutes before the park opens? Will there be lines for the first few hours?

That's great! Thanks!

That's great! Thanks!

Bear in mind that it was raining yesterday, with much nicer weather predicted for today. That could possibly translate into a longer line today.

Ok no problem, once the modifications are done a permanent certificate of compliance, or something like that, will be issued and then prud can stfu about it..... forever. Not a big deal, just a minor setback. Not really anything to worry about even though its totally asinine!