TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Went to CGA yesterday and rode Gold Striker a few times. I thought it was great. Easily the best wooden coaster in CA (not like that's saying much) and probably the best GCI I've ridden (I've only ridden 6 so take that with a grain of salt). It's a really great addition to the park.

The rest of the park ... needs some love.

What I don't get...why are the corkscrews themselves amazingly smooth but coming in and out of them are awful? I can't even describe the weird sideways curve into the corkscrew...wait, yes I can... *grabs ibuprofen*

I will say though...2 weeks ago we had an amazingly smooth ride on Demon, even the second smaller loop. I believe we had the yellow train.

Fun picture i found of greezed lightnin while surfing the web the picture is off a model of the ride and the actual ride going thought the loop at the same time from 2002.

This ride model lives in one of the guest services buildings, to the left of the main gates. It looks pretty neat in person!

Slightly off topic, but why does everybody knock on Grizzly? I think it's fine. It's a genuinely fun ride. Granted, I'll ride it again in about a week, so I might find out then. (Might also pull together a Photo TR)

Would you like to buy it? Cheap? If you're interested there's another similar woodie up in Vallejo you might want.

Slightly off topic, but why does everybody knock on Grizzly? I think it's fine. It's a genuinely fun ride. Granted, I'll ride it again in about a week, so I might find out then. (Might also pull together a Photo TR)

you could walk faster than the train during that first turn around.

I've actually seen that at SFDK (and had to do the pushing a few times). On several different coasters actually. It's actually quite common even on coasters that maintain decent speed when moving parts are cold as well as outside air temperature. I'm sure it's happened on Grizzly, just not seen/recorded by anyone on here yet. I've seen footage of it happening on GhostRider. Not what you want to have happen, but it's better than valleying.

I've actually seen that at SFDK (and had to do the pushing a few times). On several different coasters actually. It's actually quite common even on coasters that maintain decent speed when moving parts are cold as well as outside air temperature. I'm sure it's happened on Grizzly, just not seen/recorded by anyone on here yet. I've seen footage of it happening on GhostRider. Not what you want to have happen, but it's better than valleying.

Ever wonder why the anti rollbacks are on the first hill after the lift? One morning when I was working there in '89 they were doing test runs and the train did not make it over that hill and stopped on the anti rollbacks. Three mechanics then walked up there, gave the train a push, then they all hopped in and rode it back to the station. It was actually kind of amusing.

Back then this was not an unusual thing to happen. They tried several things like adding weight to the front car but it still happened sometimes, I was just lucky enough to see it that morning.

By 2015, Prudential will probably force CGA to be all underneath a glass dome.

I find all this noise issue thing to be quite hysterical. Like is it really that big of a deal. Jim Bob, in his office hears a slight scream over his computer, now we must complain!