TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

From my understanding, it seems that the sound testing has to be conducted before the 30th. It makes sense to conduct the testing before operating hours. This is just my perspective, but it seems that, if it passes the sound tests the first time (which is not too implausible considering that it is being conducted by a third party tester), it might not have to close at all. If it does not pass, the park will add more sound walls or tunnels so that it does pass. Once it does pass, it will receive a full construction certificate, meaning that, from that point on, it is a done deal. The coaster will be able to fully operate as planned. I am trying to plan a trip out there, but I will have to wait, since there is no telling when this thing will operate.

As for future additions, why not the area behind, or even over, Boomerang Bay? They have built a major coaster there before, so I do not believe that area would cause problems. There are several areas of the park that are pretty noise-safe, but building in these areas would also require some creativity, as these areas also happen to be the areas that already have rides built on them. Grona Lund America, anyone?

I've code named CGA's next coaster Flying Uranium...otherwise known as FU for short...and will always be referred to as "FU." This coaster will be a hyper coaster in the location where the proposed Morgan Hyper was to go. Lets make it a non sand filled Beemer with no sound walls either

Oh god I realize this is a joke but I pray CGA never gets another B&M. I've never really been too big of a fan of falling asleep on roller coasters.

I've code named CGA's next coaster Flying Uranium...otherwise known as FU for short...and will always be referred to as "FU." This coaster will be a hyper coaster in the location where the proposed Morgan Hyper was to go. Lets make it a non sand filled Beemer with no sound walls either

I'd rather have Intamin build another Superman freefall coaster right next to Gold Striker, call it Superman: Flight Unlimited or similar. Soon they won't be able to hear the noise anymore.

You have to wonder how this is going to effect future additions to the park. Isn't this pretty much exactly why Cedar Fair wanted to dump the place to begin with?

When Dick Kinzel was still in charge he wanted to dump the park not due to the neighbors but because of the 49ers stadium, he was afraid that the park would lose profit during game days. Then when Matt Ouimet came in he looked at the stadium as a positive thing and a way they could make a profit off it. For example, when Super Bowl 50 comes around the NFL has already looked at the park as a possible event center,which means something the park could make money off of.

I'd rather have Intamin build another Superman freefall coaster right next to Gold Striker, call it Superman: Flight Unlimited or similar. Soon they won't be able to hear the noise anymore.

You my friend just won life. Superman next to the building would be the funniest.

I went yesterday Tuesday & rode Gold Striker another 5 times. Now my ride count is up to 10 on Goldy. Ah that thing is AWESOME. I just want to point my middle finger & stick out my tongue at those f****** Prudential office buildings while going up the lift hill. In your face Prudential. HA! What a shame, shame, shame. Gold Striker should have been here in 2009. & I got the front row 3 times. I love that seat. Yes I did try row 12 & didn't like it. Too choppy. & Just when I thought oh Grizzly is ok it is not. It completely SUCKS. Had a bad ride on it. Grizzly needs to go. & Put in a nice launcher that goes all the way up in front & over those Prudential buildings to show who's in charge. & I think I saw Sunfire! Isn't his name Patrick? & is he a supervisor? If so I saw him when waiting in line for Physco Mouse. He was walking through the Fast Lane entrance gate. Didn't bother with Happy Feet. Finally got on Down Hill Thunder. At first when I got there it was closed because of a dead bird. It opened shortly after that & I got 2 rides in. I love going backwards over the hump at the end. Log ride is great fun when you sit right in front you sure get splashed!

I went yesterday Tuesday & rode Gold Striker another 5 times. Now my ride count is up to 10 on Goldy. Ah that thing is AWESOME. I just want to point my middle finger & stick out my tongue at those f****** Prudential office buildings while going up the lift hill. In your face Prudential. HA! What a shame, shame, shame. Gold Striker should have been here in 2009. & I got the front row 3 times. I love that seat. Yes I did try row 12 & didn't like it. Too choppy. & Just when I thought oh Grizzly is ok it is not.... & I think I saw Sunfire! Isn't his name Patrick? & is he a supervisor?

Row 12 is awesome. And you did not see Sunfire since he's no longer working there. Sunfire was there as a guest Saturday evening though and was with our group

Wait...WTF???

I went yesterday Tuesday & rode Gold Striker another 5 times. Now my ride count is up to 10 on Goldy. Ah that thing is AWESOME. I just want to point my middle finger & stick out my tongue at those f****** Prudential office buildings while going up the lift hill. In your face Prudential. HA! What a shame, shame, shame. Gold Striker should have been here in 2009. & I got the front row 3 times. I love that seat. Yes I did try row 12 & didn't like it. Too choppy. & Just when I thought oh Grizzly is ok it is not. It completely SUCKS. Had a bad ride on it. Grizzly needs to go. & Put in a nice launcher that goes all the way up in front & over those Prudential buildings to show who's in charge. & I think I saw Sunfire! Isn't his name Patrick? & is he a supervisor? If so I saw him when waiting in line for Physco Mouse. He was walking through the Fast Lane entrance gate. Didn't bother with Happy Feet. Finally got on Down Hill Thunder. At first when I got there it was closed because of a dead bird. It opened shortly after that & I got 2 rides in. I love going backwards over the hump at the end. Log ride is great fun when you sit right in front you sure get splashed!

Whatever drugs you take, please let me know.

Final testing to be conducted by a city expert using “Noise Testing Protocols” established in a 2012 Settlement Agreement between Cedar Fair, Prudential and the City is to be completed no later than June 30th, 2013.

I know you Nor Cal folks are just giddy to have a nice coaster again, but did anyone actually read the screamscape note? Cedar Fair agreed to this. So really it sounds like Cedar Fair was the one who screwed up in either ignoring the settlement or under-estimating the amount of noise the ride would create.

And as ridiculous as it is to complain about noise when they chose to develop the property next to a theme park...they have every right to protect their business interests and enforce the agreement. The same way Cedar Fair initially opposed the stadium. Also, do we know for sure that there wasn't any agreements in place prior to this settlement, from when the offices were first built?

My name's not Patrick, and I left CGA over a year ago...

And learn how to write sentences, not fragments...

You win best post of the day in my opinion. Everyone else, nice try and come back tomorrow.

Good little lunch run in at the park today... however it looks like it's still 8th grade grad days with kids all over the place. Even with all the school buses full of kids the Gold Striker line was to the first little tunnel at 12:15! Not bad compared to the mess on Saturday/Sunday. Got my first ride in the back and that was f'n quick! Really can't stop thinking about that ride... those little air time pops are too much fun.

in 2 hrs got in Gold Striker twice, tiki twirl, delirium and flight deck. love working close to the park!

Saw Flag o dimm on my way out too, hey now

I'm planing on going on Monday and taking my nephew. First order of business will be gold striker(might be my second stop too lol). Gonna try to get out to the park right at opening, but we will see with traffic plus how far my drive is if that happens. Anyone know if schools trips will be happening next week as well?

Yes there will be schools there. I saw quite a few school buses when I was there last Wed & not as many when I went Tuesday of this week. It may seem busy but the lines are pretty short. Even for Gold Striker. Between 10:20-10:30 they open Gold Striker's line. Gold Striker's line was an hour at the longest then seemed to get shorter every time I came back to ride it during the day. You'll be able to get in 5 + rides on Gold Striker.

Had a great time at the park yesterday, despite the initial feeling of dread upon seeing around ten buses in the parking lot. We hit Gold Striker first (surprise surprise), and were lucky to get in line when the zig-zag queue section was only half-full (only a half-hour wait ). The queue filled up pretty fast though, and as we were climbing the steps to the station the line was already spilling out of the ride's entrance.

Most of the park was pretty crowded thanks to the buses dropping off all the kiddies, but many lines weren't that bad thanks to Gold Striker swallowing up the crowds. Boomerang Bay was absolutely dead, I have never experienced so many walk-ons on those slides in previous visits. This was especially nice at the body slides, me and Flagg O'Dim had them all to ourselves. Kudos to the slide operators for putting up with our repeated visits and cracking some jokes with us.

Shockingly in the early afternoon Gold Striker's queue was only out to the tunnel, so we were able to grab three more rides on it before we left the park.

Side notes:

-I finally got to try out row 12 on Gold Striker, and I love it! Airtime all the way down the mine shaft

-After five years and countless lost, stolen, or damaged items, Firefall finally has a storage container at the ride entrance.

I this was how it was like when I was there (This Wednesday): Busloads of kids make the park quite crowded and once they leave, the park becomes quite dead. When the school-kids were at the park, the wait on the Gold Striker was around 30 minutes. After all the schoolkids left, the wait was significantly shorter so I took a mini-ERT to pass the time.

Something funny I saw: While I was the Star Tower, I saw a half naked guy on the Gold Striker twirling his shirt around. The operator and I were laughing.

Something funny I saw: While I was the Star Tower, I saw a half naked guy on the Gold Striker twirling his shirt around. The operator and I were laughing.

Quite creepy... Reminds me of the dudes I saw in speedo's....not exactly something I planned on seeing in the water park.

Quite creepy... Reminds me of the dudes I saw in speedo's....not exactly something I planned on seeing in the water park.

And the worst part is you can never un see that!