TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I was looking forward to going and riding the new coaster last Tuesday. I had the day off of work and that was the first weekday they were open that wasn't a holiday, so I was hoping for small crowds. I checked the site and saw no signs that it was open yet so I didn't go. I then found this thread that kinda explains why.

Unfortunately this weekend I will be near the park because my sister found a chair she wants on Craigslist that I'm supposed to go pick up. I don't live close enough to get a season pass, and there is no desire for me to pay to go to the park till this thing is open.

While I guess the walls look ugly I think they might actually make the ride more interesting. Hopefully these changes are good enough so they can get this thing open!

When the Great America's were built, there was a 20' hill built around the perimeter of the parks. You can see it in places at Great America, Gurnee. Of course, that's not a lot of soundproofing for loud coasters and screams. When did all those office building start going in directly next door to the park? Why would anyone build there? Strange.

It's a good point, and I can only assume that the neighbors had some idea that the park would eventually be gone.....?

Further, not sure why (when you're building parking lots/garages and buildings why you wouldn't just butt up your parking garage along the park's border....and not the actual building.

It does seem to me that the IL park has held on to more of the "charm" of the Marriott days....but, damn, seeing that covered walkway (by the old Sky Whirl site) and Eagle's Flight still operating in CA sure does score some points for the Santa Clara park!

When the Great America's were built, there was a 20' hill built around the perimeter of the parks. You can see it in places at Great America, Gurnee. Of course, that's not a lot of soundproofing for loud coasters and screams. When did all those office building start going in directly next door to the park? Why would anyone build there? Strange.

I remember that! And back then there was literally NOTHING ELSE around the park- it was awesome. It was almost in the middle of nowhere. Santa Clara sure has grown up.

According to CGA's facebook, Gold Striker is NOW OPEN!

Yup! I just got this text.

Gold Striker now open! Meet the rush - Ride it tomorrow, June 1st, and get a Gold Striker Rally Towel! (While supplies last.) Visit cagreatamerica.com.

I'm confused... Haven't a lot of people already ridden this ride? What event was that for? And did the ride never open after that?

As for the noise barriers, do we know if the park received any official complaints during the testing process? I thought this issue had been decided when the park received the permit to build the ride, so I'm confused why management is going to such lengths to "silence" the ride.

Sorry for all the questions... I've tried skimming this thread, but there are a lot of pages to cover!

I'm confused... Haven't a lot of people already ridden this ride? What event was that for? And did the ride never open after that?

As for the noise barriers, do we know if the park received any official complaints during the testing process? I thought this issue had been decided when the park received the permit to build the ride, so I'm confused why management is going to such lengths to "silence" the ride.

Sorry for all the questions... I've tried skimming this thread, but there are a lot of pages to cover!

I was thinking the same exact thing. Anyone got answers for us?

Once I heard that GS opened, I couldn't even keep my excitement level contained. Sadly I have to work tomorrow so a nice chunk of the day will be missing...but I get off early enough I can just catch the train and avoid afternoon traffic! Park closes at 10 so here's to some awesome night rides!