TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

The neighbors probably have more friends in high places than CGA does. Can't burn your bridges if you want to stay in business and keep any future expansion plans from being messed up.

Finally someone says what I have been thinking the whole time. Again I am excited about the coaster but asking the park every 5 minutes is not going to get the ride open any faster.

^It will open when it opens, can't get much simpler than that.

Finally someone says what I have been thinking the whole time. Again I am excited about the coaster but asking the park every 5 minutes is not going to get the ride open any faster.

^It will open when it opens, can't get much simpler than that.

Exactly, it's like pressing the elevator button a million times, it will come down when it comes down...

Or like pressing the 'cross the street' button...which around here, they'll firmly say "Wait!" (And yes I repeatedly press them just to hear the thing say "Wait! Wait! Wait!...")

Gold Striker or not, I'm going this Sunday for some CGA fun...I doubt I'll be doing any 5-man runs on Didgeridoo Falls as the temps won't be the warmest (and you get decently soaked on this) but I will definitely hit up Down Under Thunder and Tasmanian Typhoon as you get just as wet or a little less wet than you would on Logger's.

So are they really missing Memorial Day weekend with Gold Striker??? I don't understand. Don't those office buildings have the weekend off?

Sure looks like it, which is unfortunate. The only thing I've seen about Gold Striker is a quick mention of it "launching soon" in the current tv commercial, and I saw that yesterday so who knows. Actually I think at least one of the neighbors has left. A couple of weeks ago I drove by the office building next to the MF turn and it was completely empty (yay?).

I don't know what it is they have left to do before being able to open it but it's a shame it's not opening yet. Seems like all the other new coasters have opened already and this is one of if not the last one to open.

So are they really missing Memorial Day weekend with Gold Striker??? I don't understand. Don't those office buildings have the weekend off?

Sadly that's the way it seems, no one has mentioned a date that it would open. Only things I've heard were, "it should open this day" and it never has.

I wonder when the day will come when CGA admits Gold Striker will open in June, and even now, I do not know if it's a question of if or when they'll say that. If it's still "launching in May", I can see the 31st being opening day, but considering how things are right now, it seems highly unlikely.

It's pretty amazing it's closed this weekend! I know it'll open when it does, but I wonder what's really keeping it from opening. Like Robb said, sound shouldn't be an issue over a holiday weekend.

This is not a good sign we still are sitting around scratching our heads wondering when this thing will ever open. There's Friday the 31st. Has a new coaster ever opened on a Friday? I know most new coasters open on a Saturday & if that will be the case with Gold Striker then we are looking at Saturday June 1st but hopefully. Could be much later than that. I had wanted to make my first visit of the season this Wed the 29th but not anymore since no Gold Striker. The problem with Gold Striker is sure a mystery. Maybe someone can find out the real answer why it isn't ready yet like Angry Gumball when he is at the park tomorrow.

The problem with Gold Striker is sure a mystery. Maybe someone can find out the real answer why it isn't ready yet like Angry Gumball when he is at the park tomorrow.

I've been to the park three times this week and I have talked to some people from management, they aren't going to tell us whats really going on, they only said they plan to open it soon.

They could if they plan on having the coaster valley. Remember, Wodan was built with a taller lift due to using PU wheels as they have a little more rolling resistance...I like to call them 'play-doh wheels.'

Good call! But it's a little late in this case. I mean, they *could* go in and make the lift taller, but you know...

It was an absolutely beautiful day at the park today. CGA did a wonderful job decorating for Memorial day, I would post a photo but my quick little cell phone snap shot did not do it justice. I especially liked the balloons. The military family promotion is really cool too. If you are going to the park tomorrow or Monday I would suggest that you get there before it opens as I heard that they are doing something special for the holiday weekend.

Goldstriker is still in the status of it will open when it can open. The team at CGA wants this ride to be open even worse than we do.

I did find something interesting on one of the support structures of Flight Deck this afternoon. I am really hoping that this time TPR does not stand for Theme Park Review.

1129409006_20130525_155403TPRFD.thumb.jpg.29ad7de66a8f963302b8839aa26de13f.jpg

Wouldn't poly wheels also get torn up on this track or at the very least not last as long?

Wodan switched to steel wheels this season to reduce maintenance cost because the poly wheels were so expensive (I due believe they are replaced much more frequently).

If the massive Europa Park can't afford poly wheels, its impractical to think that CGA can.

It was an absolutely beautiful day at the park today. CGA did a wonderful job decorating for Memorial day, I would post a photo but my quick little cell phone snap shot did not do it justice. I especially liked the balloons. The military family promotion is really cool too. If you are going to the park tomorrow or Monday I would suggest that you get there before it opens as I heard that they are doing something special for the holiday weekend.

Goldstriker is still in the status of it will open when it can open. The team at CGA wants this ride to be open even worse than we do.

I did find something interesting on one of the support structures of Flight Deck this afternoon. I am really hoping that this time TPR does not stand for Theme Park Review.

Da-fudge??? Was that just really that dusty?? (Pic of mysterious TPR writing)

I had that feeling as well that the park is even more anxious to get this beauty running...hard to promote your 2013 season with new hotness in a SBNO/dirt ornament state.

I'll be there tomorrow, nice and early...regardless how slammed my body is from today...took a bike trip in San Francisco to Golden Gate Park.

I would say that there is a better time to open it since they're going to miss Memorial day, but I just don't see it.

I had a dream last night I was on Gold Striker & got to ride in the front seat. Got no gold dust particles in my eyes. Smooth & fast as ever. Maybe that's a good sign it will finally open Friday. But when parks make an announcement for a coaster opening day do they do it the week of or a couple weeks ahead?

I just figured GS wouldn't be likely to valley with Poly Wheels since the layout is very low to the ground and not very long of a course. However, I think the big issue would be maintenance cost to replace the wheels as they wear. As for the walls and tunnels. I don't have a problem with it... I just hope that CGA continues to so-what theme them so that it doesn't look tacky. Mist filled tunnels and lighting will enhance these additions.