TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Looks like Gold Striker's sprouting more walls...thus further delaying opening...we shall see what this weekend brings.

image.jpg.119cc58d941244374b9ddcef5162a1fe.jpg

Tunnel brake run, I suppose protecting components from the elements?

image.jpg.07e51e56408c53e6a58e26b7d4e6173c.jpg

And this kind of irked me a bit. The whole enjoyment of being in line was watching the train fly by, and getting some awesome photo ops...

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Looks like CGA has gotten. Little more wall-happy with Gold Striker, this further delaying opening...we shall see what this weekend brings.

that is ridiculous. they should of just expanded the pictorium and built the coaster inside. at least turn those side panels into tunnels. geez cga!

they should of just expanded the pictorium and built the coaster inside.

It's funny...CGA putting excessive walls on the coaster makes me laugh due to the overkill factor. But at the same time, like Angry_Gumball said, it irritates me to not be able to experience those train flybys while waiting in line, as well as not being able to get those flybys on camera. Grrrrrrr...

That said, it's still an insanely kick A$$ ride that I am looking forward to riding when it officially opens, and that's mainly due to the fact that I'll experience my first true night rides on it (10pm nights and Haunt).

^When we ride again, it will be a fresh experience again for us! At least we can say we got to ride GS in its early phase before the sound walls went up. Night rides are a must, dusk rides were close but not quite the experience to be had...like drinking a diet coke vs full on coke.

I'm planning on shooting some off ride footage, revising the vid I made a couple weeks back (with what was to be more angles). Looks like star tower will be my best vantage point as it stands now.

I'm not sure if it is sad or funny how so many people seem to think that the park wants to put up all the sound walls. There is a possibility that I am wrong about this but I suspect that they would really prefer not to have to go to these efforts. After all this extra sound mitigation has got to be costly, not to mention delaying their ability to move forward with their grand opening.

While like everybody else I want the ride to be open NOW, I am confident that we will all hear the huge media blast when they announce the opening day. CGA has not been shy in the marketing lately. Actually it has been really cool seeing and hearing all the marketing they have been doing lately. Very well done.

I was at the park today and I have to say that mid week park days before school is out, are rather freaking awesome!

I'm not sure if it is sad or funny how so many people seem to think that the park wants to put up all the sound walls. There is a possibility that I am wrong about this but I suspect that they would really prefer not to have to go to these efforts. After all this extra sound mitigation has got to be costly, not to mention delaying their ability to move forward with their grand opening.

While like everybody else I want the ride to be open NOW, I am confident that we will all hear the huge media blast when they announce the opening day. CGA has not been shy in the marketing lately. Actually it has been really cool seeing and hearing all the marketing they have been doing lately. Very well done.

I was at the park today and I have to say that mid week park days before school is out, are rather freaking awesome!

I wish I could make it out to the park on weekdays but completely not feasible due to working during the week...I love light days when you don't have to worry about line jumpers and you can re-ride to your heart's content.

Wishing noise was not really an issue...assuming that this is all the case, I can see this being frustrating for the park as opening is happening much later than anticipated. There are already commercials airing mentioning briefly about "the new Gold Striker" but no Gold Striker to be ridden once you get to the park....Technically Gold Striker is ready to run, as we saw during the promo shoot a few weeks ago. Perhaps, due to my addiction to this ride, I'm getting antsy and really itching to ride this again (that's how you know a coaster was done right!)

On the flipside, this somewhat worries me of what the park can do for future rides without being forced into more noise reduction measures. Wonder how feasible building rides behind the rapids would be...can't be worse than having a roaring B&M adjacent to the area.

^When we ride again, it will be a fresh experience again for us! At least we can say we got to ride GS in its early phase before the sound walls went up.

This. I liked seeing the people fly out of the first drop while waiting in line. Makes me really glad I at least got to experience it during the promo shoot.

I wonder why they put that wall up? Seems like they'd want it a little more open for people to see when they come into the park. But like someone said, maybe they don't have a choice. Too bad, but this coaster will still be freaking awesome, walls or no walls.

Honestly, I would have thought that anything along the queue area would have been fine as you have a giant, dormant building acting as a sound buffer. I'm no sound expert but I would have thought for sure that the Pictorium would have been sufficient enough to dampen noise especially that low to the ground.

With all of these walls that have risen, this makes me wonder how the ride will sound now when standing outside the park. During the shoot, it sounded awesome hearing this loud rumble (muffled but very bassy like thunder) followed by a sudden explosion of sound as the train pops out the initial mine shaft/tunnel. As that area was directed away from the buildings, I'm still baffled why there's the low walls filling in the hand rails. Aesthetically, it looks awkward but that could change once it's painted. (Can the white infill be painted too during the 2013 offseason?)

Honestly, I would have thought that anything along the queue area would have been fine as you have a giant, dormant building acting as a sound buffer. I'm no sound expert but I would have thought for sure that the Pictorium would have been sufficient enough to dampen noise especially that low to the ground.

Unless the Pictorium is going to go bye-bye in the future!

Oh snap! (cue future expansion babble)

I gotta think that all the sound walls might not be required but the park is putting them up as a courtesy. Maybe as a way to help build a good relationship with the neighbors so that future plans for new coasters won't meet any opposition from anyone. Just a theory.

I gotta think that all the sound walls might not be required but the park is putting them up as a courtesy. Maybe as a way to help build a good relationship with the neighbors so that future plans for new coasters won't meet any opposition from anyone. Just a theory.

Convincing theory is convincing.

Wow, this coaster is so lucky to be getting so much 'Theming'!!

Really though, this is getting out of control. I get the neighbors are complaining but its not like they have any real power over the park right? I don't get why the park and Cedar Fair are going to such lengths to block noise from some pesky people in an office.

Really though, this is getting out of control. I get the neighbors are complaining but its not like they have any real power over the park right? I don't get why the park and Cedar Fair are going to such lengths to block noise from some pesky people in an office.

Couldn't agree more. The offices are next to a Theme park. What do they expect?

And this is where I'm baffled. I was informed a while back that the tunnel (when the only noise reduction GS had was the drop tunnel) was not a requirement, that the park is looking after their neighbors. But with how much has popped up since the promo shoot makes me think something else is up... like, how much more noise dampening would you even invest in if its a courtesy thing and not required?

This is all strange in my opinion...lots we don't know.

^I've never bought the fact that they said the tunnel was purely for themeing. It was obvious from the get-go that they were hoping the tunnel would have sufficed for the noise issues, which is obviously hasn't.

Just think the next new coaster we get will be a nice quiet steel one & won't have noise issues & will open on time.

Now inching into June. No sign of Gold Striker opening. Has a coaster ever opened in June? Or will they make us wait even longer to have it open July 4th weekend?

We don't even know what the next ride will be, wether if it's a flat ride or coaster. Never say never on noise issues either. As much as steel can be quieter, riders can make quite a bit of noise.

Lastly I highly doubt they will delay the opening to July. I'm sure they're wanting to open this sooner than later...would be senseless to just put off opening the new hotness. Trust me, I'm getting just as antsy to reride this beauty. Opening will come soon.

I'm planning on shooting some off ride footage, revising the vid I made a couple weeks back (with what was to be more angles). Looks like star tower will be my best vantage point as it stands now.

If they keep going the way they are, there won't be any way to take pictures of more than the tunnels!

Totally agree. It seems way to overboard to just do it to be nice. I don't understand why this wasn't thought about beforehand, or what changed to suddenly make it a big deal.