TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

...We really are kind of getting ahead of ourselves in terms of our predictions of what's going to happen next to CGA. I'm going to wait a few months to even start commenting on the schematics of the "new ride".

We're constantly hoping. We've lost 3 coasters and only got 1. Besides, making CGA rumors keeps us out of trouble with the law.

^Exactly!

The park is back on the map once again and it nice to see money being put into the park once again after. Plus Haunt should be really good this year since we are right behind Knott's as far as attendance goes. So it will interesting to see that grow over the next few years.

Wait... Is Gold Striker still not open??? Why?

This is just a wild guess but I'm go take a stab at it and say that noise tests could have been conducted the past couple weeks during the promo shoot...since we've seen walls go up during the week. Back in the planning phases it was noted that modifications will be done as needed to keep noise levels in check. Maybe they have to get the ok, volume-wise before they can open it.

Hopefully soon it opens.

I really wish I knew why, starting to get annoying. It's like on Christmas when you have a brand new toy but you can't play with it until the next day. The park is sort of doing the same thing, the coaster appears to be all done but no one can go ride it.

I'm just happy that we were able to get in our rides (50+) so I can see where we are kind of spoiled. I'm going to say Memorial Day Weekend. A lady taking surveys a year ago at the park entrance mentioned about a new coaster with tunnels (see what happened?) and will be opening Memorial Day Weekend 2013. While it was doubtful about the date at first, it's starting to actually look pretty realistic.

They're building sound walls and putting that white filler underneath the majority of the track that was already in place on the drop.

That is so strange they are building sound walls, and not just building walls because they look nice....lol

Goldstriker is currently closed as they need time to add trim brakes. It's going faster than expected and is too fast for the crowds Great America attracts. (Kidding, sorry I missed April Fools...)

All the track fill and tunnel/semi-tunnel stuff is very cool, I think.

I wonder if there's any more walls that have to be put up? Let's just encase the entire ride in a building (much like Disaster Transport) and get it over with...

goldywall.thumb.jpg.ced3acb359a152e9564d87d6fd4659cb.jpg

In case anyone missed, this was taken from a week ago...very Balder-esque!

...with this said, it now makes me worry about any future attractions on that side of the park...seeing the hurdles they're still jumping through after the ride is technically ready to run. Maybe I'm just overthinking this? Here's hope it will *finally* open next weekend.

I am as anxious as everybody else for this fantastic ride to open. Yet at the same time I am glad that CGA is doing what they can to appease the neighbors, I just hope all of this additional noise mitigation is not causing them to go into cost overruns. I suspect the neighbors will always be somewhat whiny when it comes to noise yet I'm hoping that if CGA can prove to them that the noise can be managed that perhaps they will be less resistant to future new rides. It may not be much of a hope, but there has to be a couple of reasonable business people in the area.

All the bitchy neighbors fault for Gold Striker's delayed opening. Those big fat complainers. If they don't like the sound CGA should tell THEM to do something about it like make their whole building sound proof so Gold Striker doesn't have ugly walls around it. Gold Striker should be renamed to Walls the ride. Why should Gold Striker's views should be ruined. Those idiot neighbors need to sound proof their building or if they don't like it MOVE OUT! SIMPLE!

All the bitchy neighbors fault for Gold Striker's delayed opening. Those big fat complainers. If they don't like the sound CGA should tell THEM to do something about it like make their whole building sound proof so Gold Striker doesn't have ugly walls around it. Gold Striker should be renamed to Walls the ride. Why should Gold Striker's views should be ruined. Those idiot neighbors need to sound proof their building or if they don't like it MOVE OUT! SIMPLE!

So the ride's got walls...from a visual standpoint, seeing it from the station, it almost looks like it's part of the theming...after all, it is gold mining! My cousin actually just asked me what the purpose of the walls and such were for, thinking it was part of the theming. It's also two-fold. It will appease the neighbors (and show that CGA is looking out for their neighbors) and it will block our view of the offices/business district just outside the walls of CGA...who wants to be reminded of the real world outside the park's gates anyway when you're in a place to escape reality? Oh, and did I say they're nice face choppers? Coming out of the 2nd turnaround (prudential/middle finger turn) that inside wall while banking feels like it's going to slice you in the face...and when hands are up, looks uncomfortably close!

Honestly, having ridden it with and without the walls, the walls really don't detract from the ride experience...just more head choppers! In the end CGA has an awesome woodie and I'm ready to ride it another 50 times...as much as it will now take longer to reach my 100 mark (and from what I'm hearing, it's sounding like it *could* open next weekend.)