TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

- Flight Deck was the highlight (after I squeezed onto it... just!), wonderfully smooth for a coaster that's been around a while

It really is a great ride, I still can't believe it remains very intense and awesome for being 20 years old! Gotta love them old school B&Ms.

Firefall got stuck in the "up" position as well (at the time I was taking random pics, thought the long hang time was just part of the ride cycle, then got told off by a security guard for taking a photo of the broken ride... oops)

Security seriously got after you for taking a pic of a ride? Sure it was down but that seems a bit...awkward. To be fair though, my first time doing Haunt, one of the security guys was really being a nazi and said I couldn't have my camera out, period. I obeyed for that evening but following weekend, I opted to pull the camera out and had no issues. In the end I guess it really depends on the security...some take their job a bit too serious and others come off as pretty cool people.

I felt like a bit of an ass once I realised the ride was down and those poor riders were stuck, but it was literally just one quick snap as I walked past. Great day otherwise!

Congrats on hitting 50 rides to those that have!

I wish the coaster would have been open when I was there in early April. Either way its a beautiful coaster and it seems to fit really well where they built it. This was my first time to CGA so I am not sure if anything was there before or not.

On a side note I really liked this park when I was there. For me honestly I had the feeling the transition from Paramount to CF is slow process here. Some parts were still a little run down but over all the park is beautifully kept and very clean. Flight Deck was the surprise for me here as well as Demon - I LOVE this coaster a lot. Their Berserker is a LOT bigger than KD which I LOVED. I am so used to KD's living so close to it I was not expecting it to be so high at CGA. Being over the water made it that much more better. I also really enjoy their log flume - I just wish they cleaned up the grounds around it. They had a lot of things laying "behind the scenes" which you usually do not see at a CF park.

Congrats on hitting 50 rides to those that have!

I wish the coaster would have been open when I was there in early April. Either way its a beautiful coaster and it seems to fit really well where they built it. This was my first time to CGA so I am not sure if anything was there before or not.

On a side note I really liked this park when I was there. For me honestly I had the feeling the transition from Paramount to CF is slow process here. Some parts were still a little run down but over all the park is beautifully kept and very clean. Flight Deck was the surprise for me here as well as Demon - I LOVE this coaster a lot. Their Berserker is a LOT bigger than KD which I LOVED. I am so used to KD's living so close to it I was not expecting it to be so high at CGA. Being over the water made it that much more better. I also really enjoy their log flume - I just wish they cleaned up the grounds around it. They had a lot of things laying "behind the scenes" which you usually do not see at a CF park.

Thanks! Glad to hear you had a good time! Regarding the transition from Paramount to CF, even though CF took over in 2006/2007, I feel this year is the year when CF finally took the reigns and is in control (Thank You Ouimet!). With the Stadium/Neighbor issue all cleared up, we finally have a great coaster & CF finally can invest in the future of the park since being blindsided in 09 with the cancellation of the original GCI & pending sale in '11. The future is definitely bright as the GM said!

So I keep wondering when will Goldy officially open? They said May & they have 2 weekends left & there's been no announcement. Are they delaying it until June? All I could say is thank goodness I've already been on it to get a preview. Just wish it were officially open. Am I in luck or what? Gold Striker celebrates my 20 years of coaster riding. All began at Great America on the Demon in 1993 -I was so scared of going upside down! After that it got me hooked on coasters. My next big coaster was the Vortex which I got to ride twice without getting off! I didn't get to go on Top Gun until about 96. I refuse to call Top Gun Flight Deck. What a crappy name!

Now I have total faith in Cedar Fair. They are really turning things around for the park when we all thought for awhile it would close down. For starters they gave us a nice kick A$$ woodie, new action theater movie, fresh paint around the park, & I am hoping/praying after Goldy they will keep the kick A$$ coasters coming LIKE a Maverick clone, Flight Of Fear, Back Lot Stunt coaster. All of those can fit anywhere in the park!

At least I have 5 rides on Goldy but am trying to wait patiently for it to finally open!!! My 5 rides will hold me over until it opens.

So I keep wondering when will Goldy officially open? They said May & they have 2 weekends left & there's been no announcement. Are they delaying it until June?

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say Memorial Day Weekend, the weekend of my next CGA visit (either the 25 or the 26th). Technically it would still be 'opening in May' just like how Superman Ultimate Flight (SFDK) technically opened in the spring even though it was literally at the tail end of the spring season.

The First Rider auction is still TDB as well (as it seems). We shall see when it opens but I'm sure my 52 rides in on the coaster can hold me over for the next couple weeks...will give me a chance to get the ride out of my system so it will feel fresh again (not that Gold Striker ever got old...I could ride it all day if I wanted )

I am hoping/praying after Goldy they will keep the kick A$$ coasters coming LIKE a Maverick clone...

Well an exact clone of Maverick would not fit but a custom Intamin Blitz coaster would definitely be a neat addition, or a Mack megacoaster like Blue Fire or Helix...definitely need a gimmick that kinda the launched coasters up north, something worthy of competing with...with a little more length of course.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Gumball, so are you saying they are not allowed to open in until they are graced with your royal presence?

As for the next new coaster, I would love a Maverick type of ride but I'm thinking it's going to be something really good, something that nobody sees coming or would ever expect, something......... blue.....

Somebody needs to tell management this problem is getting way out of control.

So... did you let them know? Nothing wrong with stopping by Guest Relations and filing a report, in a polite way. If no one says anything, nothing will happen. "They won't do anything anyway" happens when no one gives feedback.

Cedar Fair is a class act, I would imagine they would appreciate the feedback.

I've actually spoken to some of the higher ups about the issue we had Saturday and how the cutting was happening...the kids were cutting across the grass from exit path at Flight Deck to meet with their friends...like 5 kids. We were watching them like a hawk as they did the same.

I have faith in the park that measures will be taken to help thwart off line jumpers especially when summer hits.

^Kudos! Whenever I stop in Guest Relations with any sort of constructive criticism ("complaint"), I make sure to give compliments to the park or a certain employee (or both!). People are out of control. I don't remember line cutting being so bad in the old days. It was very clear to everyone that leaving the line and returning to join your friends up in the line was NOT allowed. I can't believe people still use that excuse "but my friends are up there!" When I worked at CP we kept folded up brochures in our back pocket to show to line jumpers when they used that one (not sure the park rules specify that now?)

I am hoping/praying after Goldy they will keep the kick A$$ coasters coming LIKE a Maverick clone...

Well an exact clone of Maverick would not fit but a custom Intamin Blitz coaster would definitely be a neat addition, or a Mack megacoaster like Blue Fire or Helix...definitely need a gimmick that can too the launched coasters up north...with a little more length of course.

Hey, long time TPR stalker here - I see that ^ posted all the time on this site. Everyone always says Great America doesn't have room for this or for that... Cedar Point builds coasters through each other, on top of buildings. over parking lots, picnic areas. You've got to have an imagination for space maximization. Believe me, that little park has a lot of unused space for anything they want to build (aside from the height restrictions...even that, with a little political pull could be worked around) (How tall are the buildings in DT San Jose that are in the flight path?)

Did you know Great America has the exact same acreage as the Disneyland park?

When Cedar Point built Maverick, they demo'd both their raft ride and their last flume ride. (the other one was demo'd for the B&M Raptor) They used the flume station and built Maverick inside of it's raft ride's troughs. (Hmmmmm, I wonder if Great America has an aging flume ride and raft ride that are near each other?) Not saying I believe they want to remove more rides, but the "Point" is (get it?) anything is possible with Cedar Fair.

Gold Striker hurry up & open! We all want to ride you again so bad! I have a feeling since Gold Striker experienced riders they are working out the kinks so that when it opens it will be smooth operations & no down time. I do have a sinking feeling it might not open until next month -next month is still spring until the 21st which is the first day of summer. But on the bright side I would have enough for a Fast Lane & I'd be able to go on it's opening day if it will be June. If it were opening this month we already would have heard an announcement.

Angry Gumball I can bet that you will reach 100 rides by the end of the season. Now that would be an even bigger record breaker!

^ Only thing I have to say is that if they say it'll open in May, that's when it will open. You just have to be patient, we all do. About the 100 rides, i'd say it'll be possible for Angry Gumball but it would be slim as he doesn't attend the park as much as I do. Even though I may be behind in the race, but I haven't lost the war.

Just like rolercstrluvr said, Gold Striker will open this month and it should open before Memorial Day.

When Cedar Point built Maverick, they demo'd both their raft ride and their last flume ride. (the other one was demo'd for the B&M Raptor) They used the flume station and built Maverick inside of it's raft ride's troughs. (Hmmmmm, I wonder if Great America has an aging flume ride and raft ride that are near each other?) Not saying I believe they want to remove more rides, but the "Point" is (get it?) anything is possible with Cedar Fair.

If the park were to remove Loggers Run for a coaster I wouldn't care too much. Sure I would miss it, but if an amazing coaster were to replace it then that would be fantastic! However I doubt the park would remove the rapids ride as well.

Rapids & Logger's Run are still big crowd pleasers and plus it would lessen the number of water rides if they removed them. I could see Whitewater Falls going which would leave a lot of real estate for a coaster (a la like the former sister SFGAm) and wrap around, over, next to and/or under the Demon, though you'd have to deal with the offices next door again. Remember CGA is only 100 acres not 300+ like CP, as CP added a newer flume ride with Shoot The Rapids afterwards. I could imagine a coaster being built over the Rapids as well, with a station next to the covered bridge.

As far as the height restriction, if they want something taller why can't they just build it in the ground more? Are there some ground issues that would prevent this?

I believe they can't go into the ground much due to the water table. The wetlands aren't really that far from the park.

Just like rolercstrluvr said, Gold Striker will open this month and it should open before Memorial Day.

If the park were to remove Loggers Run for a coaster I wouldn't care too much. Sure I would miss it, but if an amazing coaster were to replace it then that would be fantastic! However I doubt the park would remove the rapids ride as well.

Rapids & Logger's Run are still big crowd pleasers and plus it would lessen the number of water rides if they removed them. I could see Whitewater Falls going which would leave a lot of real estate for a coaster (a la like the former sister SFGAm) and wrap around, over, next to and/or under the Demon, though you'd have to deal with the offices next door again. Remember CGA is only 100 acres not 300+ like CP, as CP added a newer flume ride with Shoot The Rapids afterwards. I could imagine a coaster being built over the Rapids as well, with a station next to the covered bridge.

Removing the log flume would be a pretty large kick to the stomach in my opinion. Sure they have the water park, an Intamin Spillwater, and a Rapids ride but the abundance of water rides for those hot summer days help keep the water rides from getting too over-crowded.

I do agree, if the park wants something, they will find a way to get it to work...even if it's shoehorning it in and building on top of other things...look at how Pony Express was put in over the rapids down at Knotts, as well as how a longer length coaster is spread out over the midways (Jaguar)...or Silver Bullet built, towering the carousel...Ok I don't want CGA's carousel being dwarfed/hidden by a coaster...

Hello all! Jar here. I've been a visitor to this forum for quite a while now and finally decided to join the conversation.

As much as I am excited for the GP to experience Gold Striker (which is my favorite coaster at the park now), I am also excited for the future of this park. I can't help but imagine what coaster we will receive next. My guess is probably as good as anyone else's. But I think with the closure of the KidZville River Adventure, I have a feeling the next addition will utilize the Invertigo, Tidal Wave, and River Adventure area.

I definitely think the park has room for more rides. There's the space near the lake and the under-utilized pavilion or they can just get rid of Grizzly . Also about the height limit, we have Drop Tower which is a little over 200 feet, so we can't count a hypercoaster out. Didn't we almost get one anyways during the Paramount days?