TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

OMG you guys! I made a suggestion to them to extend the promo shoot another week -replied to their socialmedia email. I said in part of my email: "You have a nice fan group of riders & we would all appreciate it very much!!! You hear the clapping & cheering of satisfied riders including me." OMG they honored my request!!! The shoot is on for another day Friday too from 5:30-8:30. How do you like that all thanks to me! I will try to be there tomorrow. But I won't be there Friday. Friday would be the busiest of all days. I'd take caution going Friday.

Edited by #1rollercoasterfan

Psssh...only 4 laps in tonight. Combine crowds with e-stops, it really threw a wrench in the works. I'm currently at 41. I did see that they added Friday in, 5:30-8:30. Yes I'm doing it!

OMG you guys! I made a suggestion to them to extend the promo shoot another week -replied to their socialmedia email. I said in part of my email: "You have a nice fan group of riders & we would all appreciate it very much!!! You hear the clapping & cheering of satisfied riders including me." OMG they honored my request!!! The shoot is on for another day Friday too from 5:30-8:30. How do you like that all thanks to me! I will try to be there tomorrow. But I won't be there Friday. Friday would be the busiest of all days. I'd take caution going Friday.

Actually don't know the real reason other than they need more shots. Lots of guests are still deciding to keep putting hands up and such, and the park needs riders.

^ Only 4 laps? Wow that's low! More crowded huh? I guess forget tom. & I'll definitely forget Friday. But with the added Friday you'll make it to 50 now no question!

Well I won't really say it was packed but the lines remained pretty constant, starting just as you pass under the track heading to tunnel. When the ride wasn't breaking down, the line moved pretty quick. Earlier in the day the lines went into 2 sections of the switchbacks.

Another fun day on Gold Striker! While not many rides, it was still awesome! Anyone know the reason why they did so many test cycles before they let riders on? Just curious. Can't wait for tomorrow and Friday! (yay for extensions)

By the way, once the queue was closed, they did a few cycles of empty trains before the last 3 trains of riders. I was on the second train of the three and the time was about 8:15; therefore, NIGHT RIDE! Night rides are just pure heaven on Gold Striker

Well I do know they are required to run a certain number of test cycles for each train before they can open the ride to guests and with the (seems like sensor) issues it has been having they are probably running a few more. I did notice the mechanics wiping or cleaning something on the front bottom of each train yesterday during the downtimes and after they were watching the area where the magnetic brakes are, just a guess that maybe they were watching a certain sensor as when the ride went down it was acting like one of the position sensors was not functioning correctly, pure speculation and observation so I don't know exactly what was going on. Whatever it is I'm sure its not something to be worried about and is a completely normal thing during this break in period.

I'm really hoping tomorrow will be a little smoother, operation-wise!

Today was the day I almost wasn't going to go due to the whole getting out there late. But in the end by the time I got out there and in the park, the first train finally dispatched with riders. So I ended with 4 rides instead of 5. Not really a huge deal considering my late arrival...enough time to be nice and get the group cookies when they got off their ride

Let's see what I can do tomorrow...my record high is 11 laps and record low is 4. I currently sit at 41 so I need 9 more laps before I strike gold for the 50th time!

Other tidbits from today: More people were deciding not to listen and raise hands during the ride, numerous breakdowns/stops on the lift (as noted), no new changes on the tunnel though I imagine by the weekend they'll be going full speed ahead, and lastly, the line was closed off promptly at 7:45 unlike yesterday when I finished my last ride at 8:25...dusk rides on Gold Striker were pretty awesome!

Had another fun time tonight, was only able to get 5 rides in, but getting closer to 50! When we arrived, they were already test cycling the trains early which was a good sign. At first it looked as if they were gonna start at 5, but they kept cycling empty trains over and over. The reason they kept cycling empty trains we were told was that they were still mounting the cameras. We eventually got started 40 minutes later. Unfortunately, Goldy was still a bit temperamental like yesterday, stopping several times, though I have no doubt they'll get all the kinks worked out eventually since obviously it's still a brand new ride. Also, this time around the lines remained consistent till they closed the line early again compared to the other times. Longest wait time was 40 minutes which did include a few downtimes.

The icing on the cake was of course finding out they were adding another day to the shoot for this Friday, so 7 days altogether of Striking Gold! If you guys are in the area or live nearby, they definitely still need more people. Until tomorrow!

Right, they are extending the shoot, paying the ride op and other people for another nights work because one person emailed them. Maybe they just needed to shoot more footage!

After so many days of shooting Im surprised they dont have the shots they need. I am in no way complaining, as these last 2 weeks have been awesome. I'm thinking maybe it's training for the new ride and to work out kinks before she officially opens.

Maybe someone can find out tonight why they extended the shoot to one final day Friday -ask if it's from guest email suggestions or if they needed more footage or just to satisfy happy riders.

They did not extend the shoot because of your email. They are also not having this event to "satisfy happy riders,", so no one is thanking you.

Also, There was only one downtime yesterday. Every time the train stopped on the lift was so the camera can get different angles.

Went yesterday and I'm glad Great America gave me the opportunity (as I can't afford a pass this year, but I'm still going to the awesome Halloween event) to give the new coaster a ride for free. Despite having operational problems, which we expected being new, the day was still very fun.

There was not a person in my party who didn't love the ride. I agree with all those saying the ride doesn't slow down at all until the end. I just remember zipping through that thing lol. Wish I got more than 1 ride in but it left me wanting more, can't wait to come back. Thanks Great America and the TPR members who made this event aware, as I found out on here.

Another fun day on Gold Striker! While not many rides, it was still awesome! Anyone know the reason why they did so many test cycles before they let riders on? Just curious. Can't wait for tomorrow and Friday! (yay for extensions)

By the way, once the queue was closed, they did a few cycles of empty trains before the last 3 trains of riders. I was on the second train of the three and the time was about 8:15; therefore, NIGHT RIDE! Night rides are just pure heaven on Gold Striker

You would have seen me