TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^ Glad the one day I was there was the 30th then..at the time they were still somewhat receptive to row requests. I did notice there seems to be less space behind the air gates than other GCI stations, so it will either just be assigned seating or it will be loaded like Kong, one station of riders entering at a time picking seats first come first serve.

^ I think the ride will always have assigned seating because of how tight the station is. The only way to get what ever row you want is if no one is waiting for that particular row, and you ask for it.

I tried asking for the front last Tuesday one of the times but they didn't put me there. How come there were still riders in the front it was just random & luck of the draw?

I tried asking for the front but no requests were accepted. So it's all luck of the draw!

It is all about timing and how the train fills up. Often our group was split as we didn't make the cutoff for the train. I'm not complaining though as this was completely free...park did not even have to go this far to let us try out their new coaster...not sure how many really do this to be completely honest.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

I don't mind the assigned seating as to me it didn't really matter where I sat, it was all awesome.

The park isn't making any money on these events but it occurs to me that they are using this time as valuable real experience with the public training for the ride ops and staff for this ride, so that's smart.

The park isn't making any money on these events but it occurs to me that they are using this time as valuable real experience with the public training for the ride ops and staff for this ride, so that's smart.

Exactly, that's what they began doing on Wednesday and Thursday. Im sure they are training them to send out trains as fast as the can and get guests in their seats, so once the other train hits the breaks they can dispatch.

I put a little compilation together of Gold Striker, primarily just views from the queue...wouldn't mind getting more shots though of this beauty in action once she officially opens.

(Random note, yes at the 2:30 mark, that dude was doing an 'illegal POV' of the ride...just realized yesterday when putting this together that he was in the shot.)

Edited by Angry_Gumball

I'm go, go, go, going Tuesday for a 2nd week in a row. WHOO HOO!!! Just when I was missing it & the short lines it's like they read my mind I wanted another ERT which is what I I call it! So hm I'm trying to calculate how many rides I'll get in on top of my 5. So they open the ride at 5:30 & I'll be done about 7:30. The wait is about 20 min. So that's about another 5?

Here's a few random shots from the past 3 days...we already saw the coaster so these are just some of the antics...and primarily of TPR members These shots are in no particular order.

CGA-5-2_50.thumb.jpg.ff6a41d53ada3210e7fe522917430dd6.jpg

The group from the 3rd day...Well, not everyone since several left early.

CGA-5-2_59.thumb.jpg.34280581a13c80cbadabbb69f4ef00be.jpg

What I felt like after riding the past 3 days in a row....literally!

CGA-5-2_3.thumb.jpg.5201669f902656da2a70f5fd529668ff.jpg

"This ride makes me smile!"

CGA-5-2_30.thumb.jpg.ac444d3fa6dba1cd5c391442494f0e0c.jpg

"See? I can't stop smiling!"

CGA-5-2_31.thumb.jpg.ba8773abfe60a0d919610c7bc4613d8e.jpg

Last train of the night line...

CGA-5-2_61.thumb.jpg.f8e01ade32d1d60e313963b28834bf05.jpg

And more airtime after the amazing ride!

CGA-5-2_63.thumb.jpg.df6223abf54e968f5e2038b8d9278877.jpg

"Wheeeeee!"

CGA-5-2_65.thumb.jpg.382a9fd786b21a886318af30f4609ba6.jpg

Why do I look like a giant?

IMG_4211.thumb.jpg.ff2e56de3d276eee82ca3c56a3292df1.jpg

The group from Day 2

IMG_4233.thumb.jpg.97c96ecf04c2a74d09b505e9a173b42f.jpg

Flagg O'Dim's and RJVader's first ride/credit ride on Gold Striker

IMG_4236.thumb.jpg.01f91f084222f4c5e72f4d61cc852599.jpg

V2-Dude, Blue Fire Guy, and I taking the tunnel (in the queue)

IMG_4246.thumb.jpg.e5de4ca9aa4cedd03c14ad76073418cc.jpg

Blue Fire Guy, Flagg O'Dim, RJVader, and I...yes we all approve of this ride!

I look very MARMALISED in some of those shots. There need not exist a 14-inversion coaster with some crazy spider inoculator hypnotizer flasher giggler tickler thingy in the middle--any ride that I find awesome will marmalise me, and Goldy REALLY marmalised me!

Oh yeah any word of a TPR media day on Friday if this is opening on Saturday??? TPR usually does media days & I'd really like to go to that. They had one for Superman last year I'm hoping they will have one for Gold Striker this year.

Well, just as a heads up, Media Day isn't for everyone and their brother to attend (and definitely not the same case as the promo shoot that we've been doing)...you typically have to actually work for the media and be there to capture the moments and be able to tell the story. It's not primarily focused on riding the coaster or 'being the first ones before the GP.'

^True dat.

In addition, having worked both the media days for Superman and Big Spin/Pandemonium, most of the time is spent waiting while camera crews fiddle with equipment, helicopters move into position, etc. We probably spent more time standing around than running the ride on both occasions. Media day is NOT an ERT session.

Oh yeah any word of a TPR media day on Friday if this is opening on Saturday??? TPR usually does media days & I'd really like to go to that. They had one for Superman last year I'm hoping they will have one for Gold Striker this year.

I can see your future. It includes ritalin.

I can see your future. It includes ritalin.

They just posted on Facebook that they need more riders for another three days of promotional shoots. Heres where to sign up:

https://www.cagreatamerica.com/gold-striker-promotional-shoot

I would have thought 3 days was enough. 6 days seems to be quite a bit.

It's for May 7, 8, 9 from 5pm to 8pm all those days.

Edited by jray21

I'm guessing they need to reshoot some stuff as you get riders who find it difficult to comprehend simple requests, the GP raising hands when clearly told not to...and those thinking they're cool by sneaking on a pov so they can brag to their friends. All just a guess though.

I'll be there all 3 days, though a bit late for Wednesday...Gonna ride Gold Striker one way or another!

I'm guessing they need to reshoot some stuff as you get riders who find it difficult to comprehend simple requests, the GP raising hands when clearly told not to...and those thinking they're cool by sneaking on a pov so they can brag to their friends. All just a guess though.

I'll be there all 3 days, though a bit late for Wednesday...Gonna ride Gold Striker one way or another!

I figured as much. People with their hands up, wearing clothing with logos/sport teams, etc. They should have someone doing quality control since they're spending wads of money to do this. Production aint cheap!