TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Hello TPR!

The past three days I was at the Gold Striker promo shoot and boy was it AWESOME! (Btw, for those reading I was the ACEer kid in the red shirt with long blonde hair -- or some of you know me as Taylor). Got to meet some new coaster friends as well as have fun with those whom I already know.

Now onto the ride: I may sound like a broken record but dear lord, Gold Striker was phenomenal! The speed, airtime, and laterals were downright insane! The pacing is the best I have ever felt of ANY coaster ANYWHERE (and I've been on 81)! Got in 23 rides throughout the 3 days and want to go back for more! This ride is all I have been thinking of the past few days (well, metaphorically but close to literally ).

Thank you CGA for putting on a great event and a fantastic coaster; you surely have a winner that moved up to my #1 Wooden Coaster! (sorry Giant Dipper, you're still my #2 :3 ..... don't cry... I LOVE YOU! <3)

Take the *insert something related to Gold Striker/Apocalypse or tunnels here*!

Edited by RCTbrony

I initially didn't think I was going to be able to make it out next week but I couldn't resist making things work. I'll definitely be there Tuesday and Thursday...I'll try to see if I can make Wednesday happen even if I show up 'late to the party.' I really need to get my 26 laps up to 50 before she officially opens!

Can you say deja vu? Registered for all three days again, looking forward to another three rounds and seeing if I can make it 50 rides!

We all need to make nerd signs for ride number 50!

Just wondering who's in charge of putting the shoot together Cedar Fair or the park management? I'm assuming Cedar Fair.

It's all done through the park. (Park management)

I want to thank CGA for putting on this amazing event, it really shows a commitment to the fans. And it was all free!

Gold Striker ... wow. I rode it nine times, and I wanted more. Much more.

Most of what I'm going to say has already been said, but it's worth repeating. This ride will leave you asking two questions: "Is it even worth riding Grizzly anymore?" and "Flight Deck who?"

Yes, Gold Striker is now my new #1, with Flight Deck a very distant second. It never lets up, you will be flying out of your seat, diving into the turns, whipping around this way and that.

A lot has been said about the tunnel. I will admit, I wasn't sold on it when it was first announced. OK, it's not nearly as dark as the park said it would be, but just the mere fact that it is there adds immensely to the experience. It builds anticipation as you ascend the lift hill, and once inside, it's really claustrophobic, in the best way possible.

It can get pretty ear-splitting in there with a loud lift chain (move over Demon, there's a new loudest lift in the park) and screaming people.

Once the train gets going, it doesn't stop, offering the same level of intensity and speed from beginning to end.

Other observations:

- The sound wall isn't very attractive, but who cares.

- You get up close with the Pictorium while in the transfer station. One of the doors was open, and I was able to get a new look inside (lots of chairs!).

- The pre-lift section took me by surprise. Very forceful.

- This ride will be even better once we're able to put our hands up.

- What's with those brushes on each side of the track as the train rolls into the station?

- It's funny hearing the Carnevil ringmaster voice with a twang welcoming you to Gold Striker.

- The Gold Striker "treasure shop" appears to have a long ways to go.

- Overheard: "I thought it was just Grizzly with more wood!"

Before we get to the pictures, I want to say that it was great hanging with the TPR group and meeting Roger Ross in person (I interviewed him over the phone for the newspaper I work for). Thanks again CGA!

I can say a lot more, but let's get to the pictures. Quality isn't perfect, as I was using a point-and-shoot.

1.jpg.9e16aa92fd146e88699ce40179649476.jpg

Almost a year to the day when land clearing started, we're finally in line for Gold Striker (aka Au13, Stampede)!

1-1.jpg.3c41362fdcbe62b0576b5e02db308205.jpg

It's really going to happen.

2.jpg.5080ded1a3f02e872a88c48a087df592.jpg

TPR was very well represented at the shoot.

3.jpg.1d8b048c520a4ceef3ae2313c4d2f618.jpg

I expect the line to look like this on opening day, but with all the switchbacks full as well.

4.jpg.e499ee7c3f6036fa5a7d0057234d3992.jpg

We hear the lift hill start up, and I get my first glimpse of Gold Striker testing in person.

5.jpg.cb5f6e51f7b261b3384cacb93a40016f.jpg

It roared by faster than you could say "What's a Grizzly?"

6.jpg.b79c058bcd2136a0efe17073b5641309.jpg

A cheer erupts at the front of the line, and they're letting us in!

7.jpg.8c50c2f655d29a309de0b65843fc3f24.jpg

New overflow queue credit!

8.jpg.cbf16d9fdf06f0e6eb32a67f44cd2dec.jpg

Great photo ops everywhere.

9.jpg.db5beac8f0260ec7606986264e4bff7f.jpg

Waiting in line is actually fun, mainly because you see the mine cart screaming by. It's LOUD.

10.jpg.c94a94973a75aa31b4fb44b8697b2930.jpg

Now they're testing with a real person, must be getting close!

11.jpg.740a47bc08001d79bb933b6f2045ace3.jpg

Very close now.

12.jpg.e61c21c2a87309595059e47e6930077c.jpg

Here we go, first ever Gold Striker ride (thanks Angry_Gumball for the photo)!

12-1.jpg.0a43d2ea91d6660edf3f3fc50be1e688.jpg

80 degrees, one of the many (many, many) highlights of the ride.

13.jpg.018ac7f4e28996fea7da7772c845c97a.jpg

Let's get back in line.

14.jpg.a34efba9d5f002a558331b3efa9aa952.jpg

15.jpg.4baf25991e1a60b1637614604cb4062a.jpg

Nine rides later and the entrance closed. Good night Gold Striker!

- What's with those brushes on each side of the track as the train rolls into the station?

I *believe*, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, that they're there to remove static from the trains after each run. All GCIs have them, I'm not positive about other manufacturers though. I suppose the last thing you'd want riding around on your favorite wooden coaster is a spark!

I *believe*, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, that they're there to remove static from the trains after each run. All GCIs have them, I'm not positive about other manufacturers though. I suppose the last thing you'd want riding around on your favorite wooden coaster is a spark!

I asked them the same question. I was told they are there as a gentle reminder to riders to keep their hands in the train before hitting the not-so-gentle reminder wood platform.

I asked them the same question. I was told they are there as a gentle reminder to riders to keep their hands in the train before hitting the not-so-gentle reminder wood platform.

Yes i have seen that on some steel coasters as well. Particularly Skyrush so wing seasted people dont hit their legs on the station platform

After riding Gold Striker 8 times on Wednesday and 9 on Thursday, I can say CGA really has a winner on their hands. Best wooden coaster in the state! This is just an overall fun coaster, it does not get old. I really respect Great America for adding such an amazing coaster, it was well worth the wait!

I had tons of fun at the promo shoot, I really wish I could come next week. It's soooo tempting to go again because I can't wait to ride this thing again, but it's also finals week and it would be really hard. My schedule is tightening up, but I'm going to do whatever I can to make it to another promo shoot day or to opening weekend to ride this coaster again. It's worth the effort!

When I go again Tuesday I am sitting in the front row & last row for a new ride experience. Question on the other 2 days Wed & Thurs did you still have to wait until 10 after 5 to be let in Gold Striker's que to ride? Or right at 5 did they let the line in? & Do they stop the ride & kick you out right at 8 or are you allowed to linger awhile longer in the park until 8:40? That's when I was planning to leave to get the lightrail I need to get back. Otherwise if they end right at 8 I should leave at 7:40.

Lately Gold Striker has been waking up at around 5:30. Lines cut off at 7:45pm and management/employees get to take in a ride after. Also as you saw, rows are assigned.i spent most of my rides toward the back (not complaining here, I love the back rows!). I tried asking for the front but no requests were accepted. So it's all luck of the draw!

I wouldn't really linger too much after closing time as you are technically on private property. Being the only one there hanging around would raise some red flags.