TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Am I the only one that thanked the park management and staff?

They could have charged everybody admission or parking or for the drinks.... or decided not to do this at all.

They have 'given' us a great ride.... and allowed us a chance to ride it before the public even before the auction winners....and now they have extended this FREE event another day??? INSANE!

Come on people show these guys some love!

Am I the only one that thanked the park management and staff?

They could have charged everybody admission or parking or for the drinks.... or decided not to do this at all.

They have 'given' us a great ride.... and allowed us a chance to ride it before the public even before the auction winners....and now they have extended this FREE event another day??? INSANE!

Come on people show these guys some love!

No I definitely made a point to say thank you to everyone and shook Roger's hand at the end of the day...definitely appreciative for the great ride and the great day.

I just checked my voice mail, they're extending the promo shoot to Friday as well!

Really?! I didn't receive a call but I was talking to Ryan last night and he said that were going to extend it to Friday but changed their minds. Unless they decided last minute.

Caution - Bold statements ahead:

For me, this coaster is the most intense wood coaster I have ever experienced. Having rode the likes of KI's The Beast and the older GCI coaster Gwazi, and some great classics like Geauga's Big Dipper and SC Boardwalk's oldie...this is nothing like any wood coaster I've ever ridden. Most STEEL coasters don't have the smoothness and G-forces you experience on this thing.

I was talking to someone about it, and found myself comparing it to the feeling to get after you step off Maverick...that "WTF just happened?" feeling. (If only it had a stop and launch in the middle, eh?)

For me, I'm ranking this coaster as my solid number 3 coaster I've ever ridden, behind Maverick and Millenium. It is incredible and it's about time this little CGA park has a coaster that they can tout as one of the best in the nation.

(See, told ya...bold statements)

Edited by wyskraker

Ok to set things straight, I contacted the park about this via the provided email and can confirm that there is no shoot Friday. Tonight is it so if you haven't made it out to ride Gold Striker be sure to do such!

I thanked the park in person but would like to express my gratitude here as well as I know they read the boards. Realistically the park didn't have to do such a thing, letting us ride the hottest wooden coaster in CA, absolutely free! Within the 3 hours I got in as much rides if not more than I did on a busy day at SFMM in a 6-hour session! Let's see if I can shoot for 10 laps today!

Noticed something interesting going up on the 'Middle Finger Turn.' We can soon say 'TAKE THE WALL!!!' As it looks like a sound wall is going up alongside the track, as well as the track infill. But who cares? We have a kick@$$ woodie in Great America now. (Wow that last sentence sounded strange). I'm sure it's a courtesy thing and not a requirement.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

I saw Roger too when we were standing outside Gold Striker waiting to ride. He was talking to a family in front of me. After I heard the cheers being let in to ride I was cheering waving my golden ticket in the air I was just bursting with excitement. He thought I was waving at him so he said how you doing? Something like that. Good thing I said excited! Then he passed me in the que line & smiled when I was near the stairs. Does anybody know what first train # I got on Tuesday? I looked at my watch as I was going up the lift for the first time ever & it said 5:40. Remember they opened the ride at 5:10.

For those of you who can't make it out to ride Gold Striker, GCI put up a POV today.

That's definitely a more accurate representation of the ride than the "first train" video. It's much quicker here (trains got a chance to break in), and does a much better job of conveying the intensity of the ride.

I will also take this opportunity to thank the park management for putting on this event. Free admission, free refreshments, and ride as much as you like. Definitely much appreciated, CGA! I've never done an event like this before, and I really enjoyed myself. It was also great to see everyone, as well as make some new friends. Good times...

For those of you who can't make it out to ride Gold Striker, GCI put up a POV today.

That's definitely a more accurate representation of the ride than the "first train" video. It's much quicker here (trains got a chance to break in), and does a much better job of conveying the intensity of the ride.

I will also take this opportunity to thank the park management for putting on this event. Free admission, free refreshments, and ride as much as you like. Definitely much appreciated, CGA! I've never done an event like this before, and I really enjoyed myself. It was also great to see everyone, as well as make some new friends. Good times...

GCI also posted a great under-chassis perspective on their FB page

How did we as coaster nuts ever survive before Go-Pro cameras?? lol

Edited by wyskraker

Ready for the final day, and to add to the already 16 rides I've gotten the past 2 days! Can't get enough of this amazing ride!

On a side note, they started putting some sort of sound wall with infill under the track by the "Prudential turn" closest to the offices. Either it's going to be just a wall or perhaps another tunnel, we shall soon find out...

On a side note, they started putting some sort of sound wall with infill under the track by the "Prudential turn" closest to the offices. Either it's going to be just a wall or perhaps another tunnel, we shall soon find out...

Im sure we will find out today since that half of a wall went up in one day.

I think in the GCI POV the camera may be mounted lower on the train- closer to the track giving the illusion that it's faster than the CGA POV, but even still, you gotta figure with all this running and the heat that it has loosened up some and gotten a little faster. But I agree, it is a more accurate representation of what it is actually like.

So here now we have a park that has the worst wood coaster in America, and possibly one of the best or at the very least very highly ranked.

I Hadn't been to the park in a few years so when I went the other day I was amazed at how different that area looks now, instead of the ugly Pictorium building and Star Tower (not that the tower is ugly) you now have this huge wood structure with roaring trains, what a difference! I am so pleased that not only I get to experience this awesome ride but that the park put this in, hopefully as a sign of greater things to come.

Here is the chassis POV that was mentioned, really a unique perspective.

Embedding is not working so here is the yt link...