TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

The way I would best describe this ride is as if you were a switch hitter, taking batting practice all by yourself. You would throw the ball in the air, grab the bat, and hit the ball before it lands on the ground.

This is what Gold Striker did to us last night, and is currently doing to a few of us right now. Gold Striker would throws us in the air, and hit us to the right; throw us in the air, and hit us to the left; throw us in the air, and hit us ..... all before we ever had a chance to land in our seats. Gold Striker never missed the ball once, and yes, you will spend many moments colliding with your neighbor if you are not holding on tightly. I rode 9 times last night, and I could have ridden more. It was that comfortable.

Its making me so mad my mom won't let me go again to the promo. Yes I could ride it every day it's that good. I already miss it even though I just rode it yesterday. The next time I get on it will take forever to come! Hope somebody will eventually post links to their filming so I can see if I got filmed. I can't wait to watch their recordings.

Well, I just got in another 8 laps today! Gold Striker still amazes me quite a lot! Another awesome day despite many of the GP breaking rules (line jumping, illegal pov's, guests putting hands up when clearly instructed not to do such)... Going to rant here now... The park is letting people in to participate, free! Is it really that much to ask for people to follow the rules?

Can't wait for tomorrow!

So then a crappy illegal POV.

Its a private event, not even that many people there and they still have to line jump and shoot illegal POV vids...... ridiculous.

I witnessed a couple of line jumpers yesterday and just figured whatever, line ain't that long, it was still irritating though. These people have no respect. Speaking of typical GP, while in line yesterday some random lady was talking to her friend about the speeds of GS and Fizzly and she's said, I'm not making this up, she said she read the top speed of Fizzly was 94mph! I just had to laugh to myself as I'm pretty sure that is the height of the lift but even still, if you think THAT goes 94mph then you are seriously high!

I heard other random things about coasters and it was just funny.

One cool thing I did hear from the GP was during testing at the part of the line past the tunnel where you are next to the track and the train screams by, more than once I heard "damn that's fast" .... yup it is!

& thank you Cedar Fair for one wonderful ride!!! It is AWESOME!!! High up on my list of favorites. I have never been on a woodie that fast!!! I'm almost crying & pinching myself all over because I can't believe this ride is finally here. Great America feels like a whole new park! Add a Maverick clone next & then Great America will become a Six Flags park! I'm itching myself all over because I want to ride Gold Striker over & over! Because it's so incredibly FAST the whole ride & I love the feeling I feel after I get off & am like WOW WHAT A RUSH!!! Great America has now a big & bright future. Many more awesomeness to come. I could never stop thanking Cedar Fair. WHOO HOO!!! Big huge thumbs up.

So then a crappy illegal POV.

Its a private event, not even that many people there and they still have to line jump and shoot illegal POV vids...... ridiculous.

I witnessed a couple of line jumpers yesterday and just figured whatever, line ain't that long, it was still irritating though. These people have no respect. Speaking of typical GP, while in line yesterday some random lady was talking to her friend about the speeds of GS and Fizzly and she's said, I'm not making this up, she said she read the top speed of Fizzly was 94mph! I just had to laugh to myself as I'm pretty sure that is the height of the lift but even still, if you think THAT goes 94mph then you are seriously high!

I heard other random things about coasters and it was just funny.

One cool thing I did hear from the GP was during testing at the part of the line past the tunnel where you are next to the track and the train screams by, more than once I heard "damn that's fast" .... yup it is!

Yes we had our share of line jumpers too, as in 1 person in line, and having their 6-7 other friends meet up with them...Have some respect. The line jumping signs are plastered EVERYWHERE and they actually really spell out what line jumping is. In the end we ended up on the same train...but whoever was ahead, would make more sense for them to just move back with the rest of their group.

The POV thing, I believe 1 train was actually stopped on the lift as some bozo had their camera out. And yes, there are signs that actually explain about loose articles and how they can become projectiles! Whether if the GP will care, that's another story.

Well, I just got in another 8 laps today! Gold Striker still amazes me quite a lot! Another awesome day despite many of the GP breaking rules (line jumping, illegal pov's, guests putting hands up when clearly instructed not to do such)... Going to rant here now... The park is letting people in to participate, free! Is it really that much to ask for people to follow the rules?

Can't wait for tomorrow!

I witnessed a lot of line jumpers, but in defense of the park, I did see staff deal with a couple of them. Apart from that, the ride is amazing! Each row I sat in gave me a different experience, not so much as to say one was better, but definitely unique. I'm glad I didn't wear my hair the way I usually do, or by the end of the day I would look like I got electrocuted. This coaster hauls major ass. Definitely feels faster than advertised. It was also awesome to meet some fellow boarders as well. Also, I'm not sure why some have complained about the noise. The park is dead quiet, besides some queue music that started later in the evening. I'm sure with a bunch of GP, general park noise, etc. it wont seem as loud. I Can't wait to do it all again tomorrow!

Edited by laqueefa

No sign up?

Free?

Food?

Wood?

The?

So, let me get this straight, one can just show up unannounced, get in for free, ride to one's content, and get free food?

I shall arrive tomorrow if that is indeed the case. I'm taking Amtrak, and I just want to make sure that is still the case before going through all the hassle. Yes, I saw the question answered a few pages ago, but with these reports of people getting in for free and running amok I just want to make sure the park didn't swing the ban hammer, so to speak.

Gotta thank GCI too for designing such a wonderful ride.

And most importantly, A GIANT THANK YOU to park management and staff for allowing us to ride this.... free and for hosting such an event. You have to realize this did cost the park money, paying employees to run the ride, food, etc, and the fact they said bring as many people as you like.... admission free.... I think shows how much faith they have in this ride bringing in the public, the future of the park, and shows that they really care. Roger is a really nice guy too and it was great how he was talking with guests and asking questions.

Once again thank you CGA management and staff for a 'GREAT' time!

Thanks, that is great to hear. Who else is going? When are you getting there? Is there a dress code? Who stole my wallet?

I'll be back again tomorrow! After 17 laps on this, I am NOT done riding this beast of a coaster!

Dress code: They said to refrain from any logos, as much as many were wearing things with logos. I was actually given the OK for wearing my Gold Striker shirt as it is park material as opposed to copyrighted stuff...but the front of it is predominantly a solid color. Bright, solid colors are good though especially when caught on film or photos! I found that out when I was doing my own shoot for TPR/CGA thread and my blog.

And I think the flying spaghetti monster took your wallet