TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

The best part of the night for me, besides meeting a lot of really cool people, was smelling like Gold Striker all the way home.

Sitting in the front row, you were guaranteed to have sawdust particles hit you from all sides as this ride is that new.

The Tunnel was the perfect length. It hid the steepness of the drop perfectly, and gave a sense of anticipation as the train ascended toward the tunnel.

Once you popped out of the tunnel, the ride was flying so fast that you really could not focus on anything but all the head choppers coming at you during the station fly-by.

This is by far California's best wooden roller coaster, and every coaster enthusiast should have this on their to-ride list. It is that good, and should only get better throughout they season.

Kudos to all the Park Managers and Supervisors who organized this event to show off their newest pride and joy.

You all did a fantastic job, and we all truly appreciate what you did for us last night.

Thank You!

Sitting in the front row, you were guaranteed to have sawdust particles hit you from all sides as this ride is that new.

This is what happened to me on the first train of the day, caused my contacts to get a little irritated.

Im just happy the CGA is finally back on the map with this coaster, it might even be the best GCI built to date! I still can't believe how much airtime there is on this coaster, literally every seat you sit in your guaranteed that your butt will leave the seat. I was able to get eight rides in on it and wish the event was longer as I could ride it all night if I could.

Excited to come back today and tomorrow to get even more rides in!

^^^^For tonight and tomorrow, all you have to do is show up.

They want as many people as possible.

The gates open at 4:30 pm.

^^ On one of the rides, some guy behind us had some gold dust fly into his eye. It was nice and red when we returned to the station.

A nice rain storm should take away the flying gold dust.

Seriously?! We just want to make sure we're all in college and wouldn't want to drive all the way over there and then not be allowed in.

Yes definitely..they seemed very worried about not having enough people and were going up and down the line telling everyone to tell as many people as they could to show up and that they need not sign up. Heck even yesterday they werent checking anything.

There were probably 500 or so people to start but the number dwindled quickly as a majority of the people only rode a couple times. They said yesterday that their goal was to run 25 cycles on each train, so 50 total. They started at about 5:15 and ended about 7:45. Most people got in about 8 or 9 rides, a few got more by doing rerides (essentially as single rider fill-ins) toward the end.

I'm really excited for my second session on Gold Striker. And you know the ride has made a huge impact when you can still feel your body being tossed about like a rag doll, as you walk around at work

Having ridden 3 GCI's now Gold Striker sits at the top. Apocalypse And Roar West sit behind, in that order.

I'm glad I didn't ride in front! I wouldn't have wanted wood particles in my eyes no thank you! Riding in the middle was fine for me. Man that thing is FAST! WHEE! Gold Striker is the fastest woodie I have been on. Might be the fastest out of all. Can't wait for my next rides on it. (but won't be going to the promo shoot again. )

PS: I can still feel the rush from it in my head but my body is fine. & I can still smell the fresh wood. AHHHH!

Seriously?! We just want to make sure we're all in college and wouldn't want to drive all the way over there and then not be allowed in.

Yes definitely..they seemed very worried about not having enough people and were going up and down the line telling everyone to tell as many people as they could to show up and that they need not sign up. Heck even yesterday they werent checking anything.

There were probably 500 or so people to start but the number dwindled quickly as a majority of the people only rode a couple times. They said yesterday that their goal was to run 25 cycles on each train, so 50 total. They started at about 5:15 and ended about 7:45. Most people got in about 8 or 9 rides, a few got more by doing rerides (essentially as single rider fill-ins) toward the end.

Interesting, so can we just show up anytime between 5-8 (not necessarily at 4:30)? That would make it a lot easier for me to get down there from SF, I'm hoping to duck out of work early tomorrow to make it!

It's funny reading all these posts about being surprised as to what an amazing coaster Gold Striker is. It seems like all the RMC coasters doing fancy things, we seem to have forgotten what a superb wooden coaster can be. I haven't ridden this yet, but having found faith in wooden coasters in CA after Terminator-pocalypse, I knew Gold Striker would be a solid hit. There is a reason GCI has survived when all other wooden coaster companies have failed