TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I was very happy when I watched the first test run POV. But the new HD footage...I'm gonna need to take a cold shower now!

I gotta be honest, I didn't think the footage looked that much better than the first one that was released. The lift hill looked better, but once they got over the crest, the rest of the ride seemed to break up pretty badly. Not sure if they just didn't render it out at that high of a bit rate, but this is what I'm seeing on my screen:1088789619_ScreenShot2013-04-19at12_30_44AM.png.6ad6773a958b06685f66fe65f837596d.png

Edited by robbalvey

I was very happy when I watched the first test run POV. But the new HD footage...I'm gonna need to take a cold shower now!

I gotta be honest, I didn't think the footage looked that much better than the first one that was released. The lift hill looked better, but once they got over the crest, the rest of the ride seemed to break up pretty badly. Not sure if they just didn't render it out at that high of a bit rate, but this is what I'm seeing on my screen:[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2013-04-19 at 12.30.44 AM.png[/attachment]

I actually thought the same thing robb, I just didn't think it was all that important. It would be though if you were compiling say a long HD video of all CGA pov's...

Honestly I'm just happy for a pov to watch especially having it available to us so soon! In the end we could have had nothing at all.

The true HD experience will be when we ride it and see it through our own eyes

Update: just watched the off ride stuff, the train really takes those turns fast! This is seriously going to be a nice quality ride! I can now say hello to some nice positives!

The true HD experience will be when we ride it and see it through our own eyes
Its been said many times but I still can't believe this is actually happening!

I still can't believe I'll be riding this thing in less than a month. Ever since I saw the first pictures of vertical construction, I have found even the mere presence of Gold Striker to be very surreal.

Things got even more surreal in the morning of the hard hat tour happened on March 2nd, when a halo appeared around the sun. The spirit of a certain sacred GCI woodie came over to bless Gold Striker with a holy light, making it sacred as well!

*digs through CGA thread for surreal photo*

thumb_goldyblessingsmall_0.jpg.82965b3127914313b72356820301b39f.jpg

Prowler, the holiest wooden coaster in the world, has come to give the "golden blessing" to Gold Striker.

^Hmm... *scratches head* that pic looks familiar

Just had another Gold Striker reality check just now when thinking of my next CGA run (The things you do when riding through the middle of nowhere, I-5 on my way back home.)..realized May is just around the corner; even if it opens mid May. It will be ready before we know it!

Honestly I'm just happy for a pov to watch especially having it available to us so soon! In the end we could have had nothing at all.

Agreed. That's what I've been saying all along...

Yea, I never understand the critique of video quality for what is essentially free content.

Looking at one of the photos sent to me earlier by a fellow member who was at the park today (Robman), to me it looks much like how Wodan's track is filled in as you head towards the drop. Whether if the openings along the side of the tunnel has been sealed off, it's hard to tell.

goldyfill.jpg.d0ffa6d461d7a76752f834e5c42d9f86.jpg

What awesomeness to come home to after a great week long trip to Disney, KBF & SFMM! Can't wait to see this beauty running in person soon!

Oh btw, a classic Marriott era signage is back, albeit with a slightly different font, but very nice and a much welcomed addition! Here's to more classic signage to return around the park, County Fair Archway anyone? Pic courtesy of Rolercstrluvr!

S9595FCE1.thumb.jpg.2d18d119aafd2256780c4c4a04fe06d0.jpg

Classic Marriott era signage returns!

I'm interested to see how it looks with the bottom filled in now. It looks like it's going to be a really fun ride. Grizzly is going to seem so much worse, if that's even possible, riding it right after Gold Striker!

I really think that grizzly's days are numbered once Gold Striker opens. I expect there to be a sharp decline in riders on Grizzly. So I guess my only question would be what would replace it, some RMC work or a new steel coaster? And does anybody know what the height limit is for the park?

^ Can't be too high because of the airport nearby. I vote for a Maverick clone that would be so awesome! It could fit anywhere in the park! Also a Flight of Fear would be awesome as well. It could fit in the Pictorium building. Don't worry CF won't end with Gold Striker. This is the sign of more coasters for us enthusiasts. CF knows 2-3 more thrilling coasters need to come in. But we all know we won't have to wait 10 + years!