TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

If the tunnel was purely for noise then why on the drop only which turns away from the neighbors? There are a few other places that seem to come closer where a tunnel makes more sense.

I think it has more to do with elevation rather than location. At the lower elevations the surrounding rides/trees/buildings will block the noise, whereas the first drop is above the treeline and therefor needs a sound shield.

If covering the first drop was indeed purely a theming choice it was a bad one in my opinion.

Ok, so I was out stalking the ride today for a good three hours. I was waiting around at the edge of the parking lot when I noticed Star Tower start going up and down a few times. At first I thought it was training or to see if it still works. But then I saw about 5 people in the carriage go up, could see them wearing bright orange and green vests. I start to see people getting out on top of the carriage and go into the tower. As soon as they started appearing at the top, I skated my a$$ to the Prudential turn. I waited at least 5 minutes before I hear a magical sound, the chain lift started up. I whipped my phone out and waited for them to send a train. I can tell you all now, that in the POV it may look slow, but its not. Going through the last turns, its still got a lot of speed. Just thought I'd do an update to keep everyone in the circle.

Can't believe it's finally testing! Despite the VHS EP quality videos, hello, it was a nice surprise to see a POV up so fast. Seeing the off-ride pov, it definitely hauls ass! Can't wait to come back to CGA to finally see it alive in person! AngryGumball, myself and a few friends have been enjoying a nice week hitting up the SoCal parks and we will be riding Apocalypse tomorrow at SFMM thinking of Goldy the whole way..

I suspect the video quality has something to do with safety: I bet that there are only so many people approved to touch the ride at this time, so they probably just had to make do with what was available. I'm sure an HD POV will be coming soon. I applaud the park for trying, since I can't recall POV videos for first test runs being posted before?

I just rode Apocalypse at SFMM and could only think of Gold Striker. Apoc was a great ride and way better than Roar. I can now only be more juiced to ride Gold Striker!

Yeah, Apocalypse is definitely the one that I'm reminded of most when seeing Gold Rusher and vice versa..I'm anxious to be able to compare them. I've only ridden Apocalypse once, I enjoyed it quite a bit, probably my second favorite woodie behind Giant Dipper.

I just rode Apocalypse at SFMM and could only think of Gold Striker. Apoc was a great ride and way better than Roar. I can now only be more juiced to ride Gold Striker!

I bet the anticipation is killing you and you can't wait to ride it!

^Argh! The day before I'm in SF! Totally would bid on that auction if I was going to be in town!

Hopefully this means it'll be open the following weekend, already have my fast lane voucher...

A new POV and off ride video has been uploaded and is in HD now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwnAFu5C498

Wow, just amazing! I literally watched this after riding Apocalypse (several times actually) and I can totally feel this ride's motions that much more! That speed hill is going to be insane in the back seat, and there should be some good pops coming out of first turnaround and coming out of the prudential turn. I suspect a good floater/zero g moment before midway curve, a quick pop before diving under before final turn, and lastly a quick pop on that weird double up.

Sitting in the front I think will be a little more milder. One tall I think this is going to be a very forceful ride, apocalypse had some nice positives especially with its 85 degree banking, and there should be some good laterals with the quick direction changes.

Yes I'm excited! Now to watch this again!

totally psyched for this now! I can't wait. I am so gonna be there opening day!

So will opening day to the public be may 11th? The 10th is a physics, science, and math day, and I looked at the details and Gold Striker is not one of the rides listed as operating for the event.

And, in other news, I don't really want to shell out $50 for a fastlane pass, but I think I could do $35... if there is a group getting the fastlane and I can join in and get one more for $35, pm me so we can arrange that pretty please... thanks!