TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Okay, somebody has to be the first to complain... It looked like it went through the last few turns and into the final brake run kind of slowly. I'm sure the pace will pick up once it breaks in though. I'll be looking forward to riding this some time in May.

I think the beginning of the ride looks amazing and will probably have some incredible airtime. But, in my opinion, it seems to take too many elevated turns toward the end, and even in the animation they seemed to be taken sort of slowly. All GCIs seem to have great pacing though, so I'm sure it will turn out fine.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the tunnel on the first drop. I think the coaster would look a lot more nice without it, but that's just me! Does anyone know exactly why it is there? Just for effects?

As mentioned before the theme is gold mining and the tunnel is to simulate a mine shaft.

...Which is just the PR excuse for noise abatement.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the tunnel on the first drop. I think the coaster would look a lot more nice without it, but that's just me! Does anyone know exactly why it is there? Just for effects?

As mentioned before the theme is gold mining and the tunnel is to simulate a mine shaft.

It was also already explained the tunnel has nothing to do with noise abatement and was added as an after thought for themeing.... still having nothing to do with suppressing noise.

This is full of awesome! The ride actually looks more intense than the animation! I see several moments of butt-slappin' airtime! The pov gave me something to do while in line at Disney

Seeing some complaints about that little double-up toward the end of the ride, being painful. Yea it seems strange but should produce a quick pop of air! And the Flyby...nice, sustained air! The airtime hump before midway curve feels like it will be more graceful yet fun!

The tunnel: I can confirm its reasoning: it was an opportunity and not required. However the park did take noise in consideration and did it as a courtesy to their neighbors just to show that they care. I had spoke with some higher ups at the park on opening weekend. In the end its better to try and build a good relationship with your neighbors rather than become enemies.

It was also already explained the tunnel has nothing to do with noise abatement and was added as an after thought for themeing.... still having nothing to do with suppressing noise.

Claiming it's purely themeing and not noise-related is PR 101 to my eyes.

I'm a lot more pumped for this now than I have been since the announcement. The real POV makes the ride's character appear much more aggressive and shows that it will likely have a few decent pops of air that weren't previously apparent. I thought the CG POV looked tame and very light on airtime. Glad I was wrong!

Have to say that the first drop "seems" off because of the tunnel -- I know it's all about perspective (when only WATCHING a video of a ride, and not feeling it), but the drop hardly seems like a drop because of the visual impact of the tunnel ceiling. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the angle the camera was pointed, and maybe this will actually ENHANCE the drop when you ride, but it just seemed off...somehow. It's obvious from the lift that you ARE a ways up in the air, but the drop doesn't seem that dramatic/steep/fast etc. Again, all perspective while watching a POV ... I get it.

Totally agree. Also, the tunnel isn't some cheap thing to add as an afterthought. If it were purely for theme, there are SEVERAL other points on the ride that a tunnel would have made more sense. Adding to that, the park has always fought the noise issues with the neighbors, so this makes sense for noise. And finally, there are several other roller coasters with noise barriers on their drops, so maybe they decided to enclose it fully as a theme decision since they were going to have to put a wall in anyways to block noise. But in no way was this put in because they wanted a mine theme on the tallest part of the ride and is not noise related...

Wow, it seems to be running pretty quickly already. Here's to hoping that they take care of it better than they did with Grizzly. If they don't, I imagine the little double up into the turn at 1:22 could get pretty painful.

Wildcat at Hershey has a pop just like that, just going down instead of up, and it's my favorite part of the ride. One of the more violent elements on GCIs to date, and I'm glad they're doing it again. I don't see how it's going to get painful, or be painful in the first place...the guys at GCI aren't stupid.

Wow, to have a POV up this fast is awesome! I'll certainly be watching it for a while...

I'm not exactly sure why they didn't release it in HD...but oh, well, it's better than not having it, right?

I really am surprised the POV wasn't in HD. I was watching it on my phone and thought I just had a bad connection. Then I got home and saw it wasn't in HD. How can you not have an HD version in this day and age. But honestly, I am really really glad they released a POV of the ride. I'll be honest, it seems a bit slower than I was expecting but still looks like it will be a really fun ride and a great addition to the park! It does look like there will be some nice pops of airtime and some nice quick transitions! It looks like a perfect addition to the park. I really can't wait for it to open!

Edited by jray21

I'll be honest, it seems a bit slower than I was expecting but still looks like it will be a really fun ride and a great addition to the park! It does look like there will be some nice pops of airtime and some nice quick transitions!

It's the very first test run. It's going to break itself in, warm up and run a bit faster than this. The way it runs in the rendering should be very, very close to how it runs in real life, and it hits the brakes quite a bit faster in that video than it does in this first test one.

Eh, some people still aren't tech savvy yet so maybe there was a slip up and it was uploaded in a low quality. But honestly there isn't an excuse to have it in 360p. It looks like an old crappy video. I wish there was a GCI closer to Cincinnati!

We watched the pov on the big screen at our motel last night and definitely fuzzy but I can care less, I was just happy to see it up so quick! Good timing too as I had to shower myself off after watching

The tunnel with the lights on and open below definitely doesn't do much but can be completely different once its done.

Tunnels are fun as shown as riding Ghost Rider today ( sounded like the voices were saying Gold Striker in the station )

Totally agree. Also, the tunnel isn't some cheap thing to add as an afterthought. If it were purely for theme, there are SEVERAL other points on the ride that a tunnel would have made more sense. Adding to that, the park has always fought the noise issues with the neighbors, so this makes sense for noise. And finally, there are several other roller coasters with noise barriers on their drops, so maybe they decided to enclose it fully as a theme decision since they were going to have to put a wall in anyways to block noise. But in no way was this put in because they wanted a mine theme on the tallest part of the ride and is not noise related...

If the tunnel was purely for noise then why on the drop only which turns away from the neighbors? There are a few other places that seem to come closer where a tunnel makes more sense.