TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^^ Interesting that SCBB admitted overselling the top speed of the Giant Dipper, they're right that it doesn't really mean much though, It's still currently the best wooden coaster in the west in my opinion, and not because of speed or scenery (which is spectacular), it's just a great design.

I'm just waiting to see the truth get revealed with Grizzly's top speed. It may be time to use the speed checker app I use with my RC, will highlight the top speed it records via GPS. I've used it on the freeway before too and was strikingly accurate. Bet you I will get a max speed of less than 5mph

In the end I can care less about top speed. It's what the ride is capable of pulling off, the meat and potatoes...top speed is just the extra dash of seasoning...darn it now I'm hungry!

According to this morning's San Jose Mercury News Gold Striker will be unveiled on May 1st. We all knew that already since it will be the first rider auction that day and im guessing media day as well. So it's safe to say that the coaster will open that coming weekend.

Link to the article:www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_22913633/santa-clara-roller-coaster-strikes-gold-and-wood

CGA on their Facebook page said this date is still tentative, unlike what the paper said. Though, it will probably be near then!

Great photos everyone. The park looks fantastic and I can't wait to visit again. The 2013 season is CGA's rebirth.

-Nicholas

If Cedar Fair really wants to invest back into California's great america they should take montezooma's revenge from Knott's Berry Farm, paint it up, and give it to CGA. Besides, Knott's already has enough launched coasters, and now CGA could add back a big chunk of their history that was lost during the Paramount days!

^ Don't take our Monty! If you'd like a launch coaster, feel free to grab Pony Express!

It's called Montezooma's Revenge not some silly pet name.

Fixed. Sorry about that.

Back on Gold Striker, it is looking fantastic! I can't wait to see how it compares to other GCIs.

If Cedar Fair really wants to invest back into California's great america they should take montezooma's revenge from Knott's Berry Farm, paint it up, and give it to CGA. Besides, Knott's already has enough launched coasters, and now CGA could add back a big chunk of their history that was lost during the Paramount days!

Two things wrong with this....

1. That will never happen

2. It's not the same model so essentially their history would not be restored.

I agree about the pet names, sometimes it gets irritating.

response: Yes, but the general public would not know the difference between a weight drop and flywheel launch. Many of them don't even know the difference between an SLC and a B&M inverted coaster.

response: Yes, but the general public would not know the difference between a weight drop and flywheel launch. Many of them don't even know the difference between an SLC and a B&M inverted coaster.

Not happening.

NO.

Sorry, if I came off wrong, it's just a little pet peeve of mine when people call some coasters pet names.
I agree about the pet names, sometimes it gets irritating.

Agreed, it makes me grit my teeth every time.

CF is finally investing in the park, it just took 5 years to do it!

Took them long enough to give CGA some love. The park looks great with all the new paint and signage everywhere, amazing what a little freshening up can do.

I doubt they will invest in another coaster so soon after giving us Gold Striker. What I do wish they would invest in are proper repairs for Firefall, that ride is completely run down. When we rode it last Friday there was extreme brake slippage all over the place. It's sad to witness the last bit of the ride program, it used to slowly lower you upside down, now you cruise back to the station in an upright position while you listen to the squealing brakes struggle to hold the gondola in that position.

If they really want another coaster they will make room for it.

Only the park knows how much room they have for another coaster.

While it would be awesome to get another one next year it probably won't happen until the season after.