TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Looks a lot different than what I was expecting, I was thing an immediate bank rather than a little bit of straight track at the beginning. It looks amazing though. I hope the drop doesn't become enclosed and looks like how it does now. I don't thing it will be enclosed though, we would have see signs of that by now I think.

I think it will be enclosed or at least covered like GhostRider, I don't see why else they would have the frames above the track.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first drop is enclosed on this ride. Maybe Cedar Fair will spend a little money and theme the tunnel like a mineshaft so it fits the ride nicely. I hope they will actually do a little bit of theming on the ride (nothing Disney quality, but maybe some mining artifacts near the queue and use lanterns for station lights...stuff like that), as the name wouldn't make much sense otherwise.

Gold Striker just keeps looking better and better. I'm really hoping I'm able to get up there and ride it (and Superman and Undertow) this summer.

I guess we'll wait and see, I'm just not convinced. And the drop isn't really "pointed directly at a few office buildings," It runs more parallel to them with a garage buffer. Besides, wasn't the noise issue the Prudential turn, not the drop? I think that the arches look like they are just added theming and not a tunnel.

August 15. But seriously, Lately I keep hearing Memorial Day weekend, if that's the truth, who knows.

Really? I heard everything should be ready the 2nd Tuesday of next week

...or maybe by the time Flying Turns opens?

I'm not going to complain about the slowdown in construction though, what matters most is that it's opening this year and we're finally going to get to ride it after waiting in agony for half a decade! It's still so surreal, even this far into its construction, that this thing is coming into being at last.

Thanks for the update, awesome to see how epic the drop is turning out to be with the arches and all!

Yea, looks like the roof might be getting some work done on it, along with its spire up top. Looks like primer, can't really tell.

I knew I wasn't the only one wondering what was up with Columbia's roof. I always wondered if they were ever gonna paint the top spire as it was the only part that was left untouched and needed attention besides the roof. Good to know they're giving it more TLC!

Yeah, it's not August 15. First rule about The Doctor, The Doctor lies.

They still have landscape around the station area to do & the line & some themeing to do so there's still a bit more to go but I can bet anyone on here it will be Memorial Day weekend when Boomerang Bay opens.

You must be confused, Boomerang Bay opened in 2003. Gold Striker is the new attraction this year.

Sorry, I'm in one of those moods. But in my joking I just realized that Boomerang Bay is 10 years old! Crazy how time flies.

^Actually, I think Boomerang Bay was 2004. I know I rode Stealth when I visited the park in 2003, so Boomerang Bay couldn't have opened that year.

I would be very surprised if Gold Striker wasn't open by Memorial Day. Given the current state of construction I'd guess it could be ready for a Mid-April opening, but I could also see the park waiting until they go to full time operation to open it (so they wouldn't have to do testing during park operating hours and have guests wonder why it's not open). Perhaps #1rollercoasterfan meant that Gold Striker would open at the same time Boomerang Bay does, which will likely be correct.

They still have landscape around the station area to do & the line & some themeing to do so there's still a bit more to go but I can bet anyone on here it will be Memorial Day weekend when Boomerang Bay opens.

You must be confused, Boomerang Bay opened in 2003. Gold Striker is the new attraction this year.

Sorry, I'm in one of those moods. But in my joking I just realized that Boomerang Bay is 10 years old! Crazy how time flies.

I think he means that Gold Striker will open on Boomerang Bay's opening day for the 2013 season NOT the grand opening. You do know that Boomerang Bay doesn't open in March.

^ Yeah... it's called sarcasm.

^Actually, I think Boomerang Bay was 2004. I know I rode Stealth when I visited the park in 2003, so Boomerang Bay couldn't have opened that year.

I would be very surprised if Gold Striker wasn't open by Memorial Day. Given the current state of construction I'd guess it could be ready for a Mid-April opening, but I could also see the park waiting until they go to full time operation to open it (so they wouldn't have to do testing during park operating hours and have guests wonder why it's not open). Perhaps #1rollercoasterfan meant that Gold Striker would open at the same time Boomerang Bay does, which will likely be correct.

Yeah you are right, I remember riding Stealth in 2003 as well. I guess I associated the death of Stealth with the birth of Boomerang Bay.

I doubt the park would wait to open a ride at all. When it's ready, you open it. You want to advertise it being open ASAP to boost attendance ASAP. No money in waiting.