TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Can't they bring back the Temple movie? That one I really enjoyed.

My thoughts exactly. Or maybe bring the Hanna Barberra film back, that one was cool too. Or at least something that was previously used in that theater (with the exception of Days of Thunder perhaps since the park isn't owned by Paramount anymore).

-_- those movies are out dated why would Cedar Fair use them after they dropped every Paramount theme? Cedar Fair will never bring them back

Um.. last time I checked, almost all the movies weren't owned by Paramount. They were owned by different companies (most notably iWerks).

Oh yea, I remember Flat Stanley I was almost going to take some random student's (in my niece's class) Flat Stanley to CGA but didn't want to carry it around at the park all day. Instead I kept it here and 'showed him' TPR and such

I'm looking forward to their update when that comes around

Edit: I didn't even notice the additional bents that had gone up on the lift as I initially saw the photo on my phone.

First, I didn't notice the little dude she was holding because I was noticing how "flat" did not apply to the cute girl in the photo.

Second, why does it feel like this thing has suddenly become the slowest construction on earth? They were hauling and this seems like it's taking forever. I've lost hope for opening day and feel like this is pushing Six Flags status with a Memorial Day opening. It's obviously not weather, because it's been beautiful lately with only one day of slight drizzle. I just want to ride it all ready but it feels like even Full Throttle is catching up... sad face.

-_- those movies are out dated why would Cedar Fair use them after they dropped every Paramount theme? Cedar Fair will never bring them back

Um.. last time I checked, almost all the movies weren't owned by Paramount. They were owned by different companies (most notably iWerks).

Check again. I guarantee SimEx-iWerks pays Paramount (or whichever film studio) for the rights to use their characters in a ride film, which translates into the cost to parks. Plus, bringing back old 3D movies doesn't really inspire nostalgia in guests and most are dated with how rapidly technology advances now-a-days.

Edited by Double0Kevin

^I think we spoiled you with our near weekly updates. The only thing left is the station and maintenance shed/brake run and remaining drop, plus of course the queue & landscaping. It should all come together pretty quickly. The construction is on schedule according to CGA and a lot can happen in 6 weeks, but even if it doesn't open on March 29, it'll be opening soon eventually!

Your YOLOcoaster catching up reference made me laugh though! Not even close!

I heard a rumor that there is a lumber shortage but I don't remember where I read that. That could be the reason for the slowdown in progress. Of course it's just a rumor so who knows, cga could just be holding off on updates till the drop is finished. Could be within a few days.

Check again. I guarantee SimEx-iWerks pays Paramount (or whichever film studio) for the rights to use their characters in a ride film, which translates into the cost to parks. Plus, bringing back old 3D movies doesn't really inspire nostalgia in guests and most are dated with how rapidly technology advances now-a-days.

Well then why would Cedar Fair even bother to add in a virtual white water river rafting film in there anyway? It doesn't sound innovative, and it doesn't sound like a fun experience for a ride like the Action Theater (especially if we already have Rip Roaring Rapids). If Cedar Fair didn't care so much, they would've removed all the Action Theaters when they first got the parks!

Well then why would Cedar Fair even bother to add in a virtual white water river rafting film in there anyway? It doesn't sound innovative, and it doesn't sound like a fun experience for a ride like the Action Theater (especially if we already have Rip Roaring Rapids). If Cedar Fair didn't care so much, they would've removed all the Action Theaters when they first got the parks!

It would be like rafting down the Grand Canyon

Oh goodness, you are right! How could I be so blind!? If we can't be successful putting in an old movie that people have experienced, we should just rip em all down! Let's go out and raze all the movie theaters in the world, because if they can't be successful just playing Beverly Hills Chihuahua for the rest of eternity, what's the point? People don't want to watch the same movie over and over and over again. This is why Hollywood makes new movies all the time, and this is why theme parks put new films in their simulators. Even Disney updates their ride films when they get tired and old (Star Tours). Maybe you don't want to watch white water rafting, but other might.

GCI just posted an update on their FB page, station bents now getting installed! Double0Kevin, your prayers have been answered...

When I saw those today, I had a feeling someone was going to call me out. Haha.

Edited by Double0Kevin

Oh goodness, you are right! How could I be so blind!? If we can't be successful putting in an old movie that people have experienced, we should just rip em all down! Let's go out and raze all the movie theaters in the world, because if they can't be successful just playing Beverly Hills Chihuahua for the rest of eternity, what's the point? People don't want to watch the same movie over and over and over again. This is why Hollywood makes new movies all the time, and this is why theme parks put new films in their simulators. Even Disney updates their ride films when they get tired and old (Star Tours). Maybe you don't want to watch white water rafting, but other might.

Okay, while I understand your statement, it still seems pretty low point to have a white water rafting film in there (especially given the previous films were a bit more dynamic). If they didn't want to reuse one of their old films, couldn't they have found a better ridefilm from Simex-iWerk's library? Now I'm not trying to bash the idea of a white water rafting film being as a replacement, even if this rumor's true I'll still go see it. But it just seems too basic for a replacement to something like Spongebob 3D (at least in my opinion).

From the park's Facebook page:
Gold Striker is getting the attention, but The Grizzly is receiving new tracks and being updated. Cedar Fair is investing throughout California's Great America.

Glad to hear that CF is pumping some love throughout the park! I imagine the rest of the investments into the park besides GS is the painting of the buildings we've seen and general, much-needed park upkeep.

About the simulator: I'm all for a new film, which is the cheaper alternative than ripping it out and putting in a new attraction altogether. I just hope that whatever they put in (assuming this rumor actually materializes) will be enjoyable for a few seasons, and swap it out with something new regularly to keep things fresh. When did Spongebob make his appearance in there anyway? I honestly don't know how long that film's been in there compared to the many other films they've had over the years.

When did Spongebob make his appearance in there anyway? I honestly don't know how long that film's been in there compared to the many other films they've had over the years.

A far back as I can remember (and given that I'm a simulator expert), it was first shown in 2003, a decade from this year. And if my memory serves me correct, it was also shown with the Temple film on the other side of the theater.

SpongeBob debuted in 2003 during the year when Nickelodeon Splay City got remodeled to Nick Central. So far all the movies that have been in the Action Theater that I remember were: Days of Thunder in '94-97, James Bond 007: License to Thrill in '98-00, 7th Portal 3D in '01-02, Smash Factory '01, A Temple Movie (forget the name) fall of '01, and the Elvira Superstition movie...