TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

That's the thing...standups are uncomfortable. The uncomfy experience is glorified with the intensity Vortex delivers. If it were a floorless or a sit down it would be a pretty sweet ride, ranking just behind FD in my books.

Totally didn't see sky hawk in that video, going to watch again

Sadly I don't think this can be done as B&M designed the Stand Up coaster so it could Heart Line only while standing, if you replace it with a Sitdown the forces would be messed up and you'd end up with a B&M Sitdown running like a Arrow Corkscrew.

^ Maybe a 4-across Mack Megacoaster (same as Blue Fire) train tailor made for Vortex?

It would be awesome if that actually happened, as those are quite possibly the best steel coaster trains IMO. But alas, one can only dream for such a miracle to occur.

Yet again, there's always the choice to "TAER IT DOWN!!1!"...at least when the park decides to do so. Unfortunately, I think this pain (especially for men) inducing piece of s**t is here to stay for a while longer.

^ Yes, I think CGA can't afford to lose any more coasters at this point. But if one were to go, I would have to say Grizzly as well.

Plus, if Vortex is demolished, it would be the first defunct B&M. I personally think that if Cedar Fair did decide to remove it they'd relocate it to Michigan's Adventure!

^ITA. If Vortex were to leave, it would most likely get relocated to a smaller park in the chain. It would kinda be like CGA following it's former sister park again in a way with Iron Wolf being relocated to SFA. Anyways moving away from removals, still wondering what the Invertigarden future will hold......

Um.. hi there. I'm still kinda new to these fourms and I've been watching this topic for quite sometime since CGA is my nearest theme park, and I wanted to see when the right time was for me to come in, and right now seems the perfect time.

So the latest rumor I heard is that the aging Spongebob 3D film may be on its way out, and replaced with some kind of white water rafting 2D film. Though this is the case of hearing it from someone that heard it from someone else...so we shall see!

I am pretty happy to hear that the Action Theater may get a new ridefilm and not end up like all the other Action Theaters with their Dinosaurs Alive show. I will admit, I am a big motion simulator/4D film nerd (in fact I'm planning to do a couple of reviews for some of these rides), and the Action Theater is one of my favorite rides at CGA (along with Flight Deck being my favorite coaster). I'll also admit, while I love Spongebob 3D, it has begun to age and dare I say.. it may have gotten a little overrated (I'm very interested to see what its upcoming sequel will look like), so seeing something new in the theater would be interesting, however it would've been cool to see one of their previously used films (kinda like when they brought back Days of Thunder in 2004-05, but perhaps instead use 7th Portal or the Temple film or even the Hanna-Barberra film) instead of using a river rafting one.

Um.. hi there. I'm still kinda new to these fourms and I've been watching this topic for quite sometime since CGA is my nearest theme park, and I wanted to see when the right time was for me to come in, and right now seems the perfect time.

So the latest rumor I heard is that the aging Spongebob 3D film may be on its way out, and replaced with some kind of white water rafting 2D film. Though this is the case of hearing it from someone that heard it from someone else...so we shall see!

I am pretty happy to hear that the Action Theater may get a new ridefilm and not end up like all the other Action Theaters with their Dinosaurs Alive show. I will admit, I am a big motion simulator/4D film nerd (in fact I'm planning to do a couple of reviews for some of these rides), and the Action Theater is one of my favorite rides at CGA (along with Flight Deck being my favorite coaster). I'll also admit, while I love Spongebob 3D, it has begun to age and dare I say.. it may have gotten a little overrated (I'm very interested to see what its upcoming sequel will look like), so seeing something new in the theater would be interesting, however it would've been cool to see one of their previously used films (kinda like when they brought back Days of Thunder in 2004-05, but perhaps instead use 7th Portal or the Temple film or even the Hanna-Barberra film) instead of using a river rafting one.

Cedar Fair will not be bringing a Paramounts era film back there old and Cedar Fair does not want them

Cedar Fair will not be bringing a Paramounts era film back there old and Cedar Fair does not want them

I know, it was just an idea. I didn't say that they would do something like this. I don't think Cedar Fair even cares about simulators anyway.

Came across an update (same update that had the White Water Rafting simulator rumor) over the weekend showing somewhat of a view inside of the park. Nothing we haven't really seen since our GWW adventures but some were curious a few pages back (when we posted our updates last weekend) about the queue for Star Tower. I am curious how the area will look inside of the Star Tower 'plaza,' having faith that it will look nice...following suit with CGA's landscaping habits.

Yea, looks like the paths will go right through the structure at more or less the same area. Note the openings/no overlapping beams.

Yea haha, I guess that doesn't make sense. But you won't have the GP complain that their new iPad got damaged riding the rapids ride

The more I think of it, I still believe its time for a new show in there but the rafting doesn't seem to be the best fit, especially when you already have a rapids ride. Waterless rapids anyone?

Can't they bring back the Temple movie? That one I really enjoyed.

My thoughts exactly. Or maybe bring the Hanna Barberra film back, that one was cool too. Or at least something that was previously used in that theater (with the exception of Days of Thunder perhaps since the park isn't owned by Paramount anymore).

Let's take a trip to my childhood. When trying to find something earlier, I came across my old family photos and such and first images sitting on top was us taking a ride on Blue Streak, now Woodstock's Express. I still can't exactly see where I'm specifically at on the train however. In the background you can see the now defunct Scenic Railway passing by.

BlueStreak2-small.thumb.jpg.e3d2ce3c8840446b227cee9057bd0251.jpg

BlueStreak1-small.thumb.jpg.0fc689925e8c95647afcde8c46a5b4d3.jpg

Can't they bring back the Temple movie? That one I really enjoyed.

My thoughts exactly. Or maybe bring the Hanna Barberra film back, that one was cool too. Or at least something that was previously used in that theater (with the exception of Days of Thunder perhaps since the park isn't owned by Paramount anymore).

-_- those movies are out dated why would Cedar Fair use them after they dropped every Paramount theme? Cedar Fair will never bring them back