TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Nice to see Demon's red train getting rehabbed, looks like it'll be the smoother one this season (yellow will be the rougher train, orange will be sitting out for rehab). I don't want to make the same mistake I did one particular day last season and sit in the front half of the rougher train, ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch!

About the parking garage, it is probably a good 10-15 minute walk from there to the gate. I've walked from the Amtrak station just up the road to the park's gate and has taken me about 20-25 minutes walking at a quick pace. Let's say the distance would be like walking from CGA's gate all the way to the picnic area by Psycho Mouse. It's definitely a little bit of a trek but I'm sure it will help alleviate some of the parking issues during the home games....and can't be any worse than SFDK's parking situation clear across the lake

It should be a shorter walk than 10-15 minutes as the garage is directly across the street from the new 49er stadium. But I think the garage will be for the stadium mostly, aside from those that want to tailgate before games.

^^Drop Zone was built & opened in 1996. It replaced the Edge(first generation frefall which got removed after the 1995 season).

While it was built in the 90s, it did not replace the Edge. Where Drop Zone is now used to be the Ameri Go Round (if you've seen Beverly Hills Cop 3, it is the one Axel/Eddie Murphy is seen on as he tries to get away from the Wonderworld "Security') Anyway, the Edge was located near what is currently the Go Kart Track, next to Psycho Mouse.

Edited by jab88

^^Drop Zone was built & opened in 1996. It replaced the Edge(first generation frefall which got removed after the 1995 season).

While it was built in the 90s, it did not replace the Edge. Where Drop Zone is now used to be the Ameri Go Round (if you've seen Beverly Hills Cop 3, it is the one Axel/Eddie Murphy is seen on as he tries to get away from the Wonderworld "Security') Anyway, the Edge was located near what is currently the Go Kart Track, next to Psycho Mouse.

Ummm... The Edge was closed after 1995. Drop Zone opened the next season, 1996. One drop ride goes away, another is built. Sounds like a replacement to me. Doesn't really matter where one was and the other was built, you are taking one version of a ride out and putting another in.

Rolercstrluvr checked out the GS site yesterday (Wednesday) and was able to speak to one of the construction workers. He was informed the rest of the lift will be completed in the next couple of weeks and that the station will be up next month. Also work was being done on Grizzly...

^The park's FB page has posted pictures of work being done with Grizzly...though some of the captions erroneously refer to it as Gold Striker!

Getting closer with Gold Striker - Northern California's tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster.

It's amazing how fast Gold Striker is coming together.

Nice to see ol' Grizz's third turnaround being retracked, that in my opinion was the last problematic spot that needed retracking (the first two being the first drop and the coat hanger transition into the second turnaround, which are now retracked). Last season that final turn shook me up quite bit and was a bit of a boob/man boob jiggler, so I'm glad to see it smoothed out for this season...

...but adhering to tradition, I'm STILL going to rank Grizzly last come the 2013 Mitch poll, lol!

I hate to double post but it's been close enough to 24 hours and some kind of news we can all begin to speculate. I just took a glance at the Santa Clara Permit Page and noticed this:

Application date:1/17/13

Description: Demo for future work. (See BLD2012-30518 for future work)

http://smartpermit.santaclaraca.gov/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=StatusViewCase&shl_caseno=BLD2013-30673

So what's going to be demolished? What's this future work? Could this be the end of the defunct Pictorium? Maybe I got too excited and is just some other minor project

I was joking with the Giga thing. They can't build anything as tall as Windseeker due to their location near San Jose International Airport. They had to get special FAA Approval for Drop Zone and that's almost 100' shorter. I think their cap is around 150' without getting the FAA involved.