TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^ Absolutely! I shall come prepared to offer my testicles and cranium/skull to the B&M standup gods, that sacred credit is still missing from my list. You might get to hear me speak French for 45 seconds!

Just stand in row one and get a middle seat and things shouldn't be too bad!

Actually last weekend Vortex was running pretty well, for Vortex standards anyway. I tend to keep the saddle just a click below the crotch.
Yep I agree. With the saddle a click below it was as good as Vortex gets. Vortex doesn't deserve as bad of a reputation as it has. It's not the best ride in the world, but its not like it's a Chinese SLC knock-off

^I'm sure you will probably become a group regular, now that you have a pass! I'm looking forward to all of us getting together once again, and again for Haunt.

Random side note, after a couple more tweaks and some screenshots, I'll get a dedicated thread for this project in the games forum, a No Limits recreation (yes, my 3rd or 4th recreation now) of Goldy! You can watch a Youtube video of it in action:

Also, I was watching my Media Day video again, trying out the captioning and found this:

Faeces (Feces) wouldn't rule...so much for Coaster Man Dumping Waffle

For anyone in the Bay Area looking for a part time job:

California's Great America is searching for the scariest monsters out there! We will be hosting a Job Fair to find all sorts of creatures for our Halloween Haunt..

Tell all of your friends to come out....come out....wherever they are...

Saturday, September 15th, from 10am to 4pm

Where: Human Resources Employment Office located at: 2401 Agnew Road Santa Clara, CA 95054 Cross Street is Agnew Road, off Mission College Blvd.

For More Info, Please Call 408-986-5825

You must be at least 18 years of age to apply.

You must complete your application online: http://www.cagreatamerica.com/jobs prior to coming to the Job Fair. If you have already applied this year, you do not have to apply again.

WE'LL BE WAITING

I'm thinking Vortex will get repainted next year since Gold Striker is opening up. Plus if you ride in the front row you can see some areas were they put "test" paint at.

I also have a feeling that Vortex will be repainted as you could definitely see fresh neon yellow/green markings on the inside of the tracks while riding along on the front row, we'll see!

I'm thinking Vortex will get repainted next year since Gold Striker is opening up. Plus if you ride in the front row you can see some areas were they put "test" paint at.

I also have a feeling that Vortex will be repainted as you could definitely see fresh neon yellow/green markings on the inside of the tracks while riding along on the front row, we'll see!

There seemed to be a lot more of it now in the loop and around the corkscrew, also noticed some purple which seems very bright compared to the faded purple!

I'm glad the park is getting a new coaster finally, but doesn't the pov for it look just kind of ho-hum? I guess it's just intended to be more of a family coaster idk.

Actually this looks pretty fun! Now I'm limited on what GCI coasters I've ridden but I don't think 'tame' or 'ho-hum' exists in GCI coasters. The lower layout should provide a nice, fast ride!

You want tame, check out the Chinese knockoff Vekoma SLC.

I'm glad the park is getting a new coaster finally, but doesn't the pov for it look just kind of ho-hum? I guess it's just intended to be more of a family coaster idk.

Actually this looks pretty fun! Now I'm limited on what GCI coasters I've ridden but I don't think 'tame' or 'ho-hum' exists in GCI coasters. The lower layout should provide a nice, fast ride!

You want tame, check out the Chinese knockoff Vekoma SLC.

I've only ridden Wodan and Roar West, but my take on GCIs is that they are not boring, yet not too intense either. I find them to be fast, fun, zippy, and very re-rideable. As for airtime, they don't produce intense ejector air, but they do have a lot of nice little pops here and there, especially in transitions in and out of curves.

Here's hoping for a triumphant return of the green-colored Vortex! It would have the benefit of being nostalgic, plus it would encourage the park to actually paint all the track segments, unlike the half-painted Demon and Flight Deck. Unless they aren't worried about having a hybrid purple/yellow/green coaster.

^That avatar...I had to do a double take! Nice stuff!

Vortex...I have a feeling that since purple swatches of paint were seen, the ride will just be painted the existing color scheme it already has. I'd like to see a lime green throwback...just like I wouldn't mind seeing Drop Tower in it's multi-color glory (again like the 90's). Let's hope this offseason, Demon and Flight Deck will get finished...it's a tad odd seeing freshly painted black loop with silver rails, then a solid black corkscrew including black rails. Here's to hybrid semi-multi-colored track!

A random pondering about Gold Striker... Not sure if this was discussed a couple weeks ago about GS's speed but I just realized this (after chatting with a fellow coaster enthusiast) yesterday...according to RCDB, even Grizzly hits a top speed of 55mph. When it ever hit that I have no clue because it sure never feels like it. I just thought it was a bit funny that the park's already existing (and tame) woodie has Goldy's record beat in terms of speed.

I do know we discussed Giant Dipper and how its speed is quite variable based on tempurature and load.

A random pondering about Gold Striker... Not sure if this was discussed a couple weeks ago about GS's speed but I just realized this (after chatting with a fellow coaster enthusiast) yesterday...according to RCDB, even Grizzly hits a top speed of 55mph. When it ever hit that I have no clue because it sure never feels like it. I just thought it was a bit funny that the park's already existing (and tame) woodie has Goldy's record beat in terms of speed.

I do know we discussed Giant Dipper and how its speed is quite variable based on tempurature and load.

There is absolutely no way Grizzly is faster than Gold Striker. Grizzly is 17' shorter than Gold Striker, there just isn't enough momentum to pass Gold Striker.

^That avatar...I had to do a double take! Nice stuff!

Thanks! Yosemite Sam was the first thing I thought of when I saw the Gold Striker logo, so I couldn't resist.

It definitely would be good to see those coasters get finished, Flight Deck looks very nice with shiny black rails. The Grizzly probably needs a full load of "barely-can-fit" riders in order to hit that top speed, and even then it must be a fraction of a second when it hits 55mph haha.

On a side note, seeing all the Haunt decorations yesterday is getting me pretty excited! My brother and I walked up to the fence next to Massacre Manor and tried to get a sneak preview, seeing as they had the doors opened up.

I'd like to see a lime green throwback...just like I wouldn't mind seeing Drop Tower in it's multi-color glory (again like the 90's).

Would love to see Green/Black Vortex... but seriously with the Drop Tower paint job? I love that ride but the original paint scheme was hideous. I don't love the current one, but it is MUCH better than the old one.

I also wouldn't mind the Leviathan/Stinger/Invertigo color scheme on Vortex. Since CF seems to have gotten those colors on wholesale, why not?

^^ first thing that came in mind to me was Stinky Pete from Toy Story, hence what I unofficially named him...not to mention the 'dumping waffle' thing. I wonder how long he will rock that pistol before some anti-gun people raise a stink.

^ Blue on blue...the next red with yellow (Think Dragstor and Iron Dragon)! I personally wasn't crazy about that. I probably liked the Drop Tower colors due to nostalgic reasons. After it faded however, it did look pretty bad.

There is absolutely no way Grizzly is faster than Gold Striker. Grizzly is 17' shorter than Gold Striker, there just isn't enough momentum to pass Gold Striker.

from RCDB:

Demon - 102 ' high, 90' drop, 50 mph

Flight Deck - 102' high, 91' drop, 50 mph

Gold Striker - 108' high, 53.7 mph

Grizzly - 91' high, 55 mph

Vortex - 91' high, 40 mph

Some of these figures may be true, but I doubt the Grizzly mph figure is true. When I rode Grizzly in the back seat it slowed down enough going up the hill after the first drop it wouldn't have surprised me to get a rollback / valley.