TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Definitely the under dog of this season's more gimmicky announcements (wing riders, twisting hybrids and backward launchers), but Gold Striker looks like such a solid, no nonsense wooden coaster. It's probably not going to crack anyone's top 10 list, yet it's the one coaster announced so far who's riders can dispense with the airtime obsessed nitpicking and just have FUN.

I'm really looking forward to watching this one opening, and getting back up to the north soon.

Honestly, I have to admit it...

I think I am more excited for this than Full Throttle.

I am too. I kind of know what to expect from FT, this seems more like an unknown, and it's been sooo long since CGA has had a major addition. Of the three California coasters, I'm definitely looking forward to this one the most. I'll be heading to CGA tomorrow, can't wait to check out the construction in person.

I wonder if this spells the end for the Grizzly. It's interesting that they chose another wooden coaster as their new coaster addition after taking out Invertigo, and Stealth this is their first major coaster since geez, stealth i think.

Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun, Six Flags America, & Hersheypark all had "classic" mid-sized woodies before their GCI coaster was built. None of those parks built the GCI coaster to replace their other woodie.

I wonder if this spells the end for the Grizzly. It's interesting that they chose another wooden coaster as their new coaster addition after taking out Invertigo, and Stealth this is their first major coaster since geez, stealth i think.

Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun, Six Flags America, & Hersheypark all had "classic" mid-sized woodies before their GCI coaster was built. None of those parks built the GCI coaster to replace their other woodie.

And closer to home, SFMM had Apocalypse built without replacing Colossus

True, However I don't consider CGA in the same league as Six Flags America and Hersheypark (not familiar with Worlds of Fun). But yes, I see your point.

I don't think that Comet is a good comparison. Comet is one of the oldest coasters in the country, still runs great, and still has very high ridership. Grizzly is pretty much on the opposite spectrum of all of those statements.

Grizzly still has very good ridership, I don't see it leaving anytime soon. CGA has a lot of areas for new attractions (Invertigarden, Top Gun-Boomerang Bay field).

I don't think that Comet is a good comparison. Comet is one of the oldest coasters in the country, still runs great, and still has very high ridership. Grizzly is pretty much on the opposite spectrum of all of those statements.

Grizzly still has very good ridership, I don't see it leaving anytime soon. CGA has a lot of areas for new attractions (Invertigarden, Top Gun-Boomerang Bay field).

True but from personal experience most of the time my friends and I go on that ride it's only because we might as well. There isn't much to do in the park.

Though I agree there is no point in taking it out now. They have a lot of other areas.

If CGA does any more ride removals, there are not many coasters that would be missed if they closed today. Currently, Psycho Mouse is the park's second best coaster. I really don't see Grizzly going anywhere, unless in the unlikely event that ridership significantly drops after Gold Striker opens. Grizzly is a family coaster, in the eyes of this park. It is kind of like the park's "family mine train". What is sad is that it looks very impressive, and takes up way too much space for a family ride, IMO. (It is nearly 3 times as tall as a Ghoster Coaster clone, but manages to be less thrilling) However, it is popular enough as it is, so I really can't see them removing it anytime soon.

What would be the point of removing Grizzly though? There isn't one.

There would be only one reason to remove it.... something better and bigger.

If I had to guess, I would say the next coaster will share space with Flight Deck

Yes, that is a very interesting idea- now the fun begins!

Grizzly isn't going to go anywhere anytime soon. That coaster will have some of the longest lines in the park since it is big with families. Plus the past two years they have been re-tracking the ride and I think more is planned for this coming off-season. Grizzly is not a rough coaster at all, the only issue with it is, the coaster is boring! It doesn't do anything which makes enthusiasts upset and families glad because they can bring their children that may have never been on a large coaster before.

If I had to guess, I would say the next coaster will share space with Flight Deck

IMO, I just came from CGA today, I believe Action Theater (where spongebob 3D use to be), Rue Le Dodge (Bumper Cars), Invertigo Park, and honestly the Thunder Raceway can all go and become space for better rides. Again, people probably will argue but that's my opinion from what I notice is low guest usage.

IMO, I just came from CGA today, I believe Action Theater (where spongebob 3D use to be), Rue Le Dodge (Bumper Cars), Invertigo Park, and honestly the Thunder Raceway can all go and become space for better rides. Again, people probably will argue but that's my opinion from what I notice is low guest usage.

I could see a coaster using the spot of the Action Theater and the former Invertigo site. What type I have no idea but I could see it running down the service road as well.

Rue Le Dodge is always busy so it would be pointless to remove a classic family attraction...shoot, I'd miss the bumper cars as well!

Coaster-wise, I've always visioned something set up behind the amphitheater and next to Flight Deck (Pavilion area). But it is way too soon to tell...I mean, Goldy just got announced, my main focus right now is that. Speaking of which, I wonder how much has changed between Wednesday and what I'll see tomorrow.

Get rid of the action theater, utilize that space and the Invertigarden as well as going over the backstage area for an Intamin blitz coaster or a Maverick clone with the layout adjusted to fit the area. Or just put it somewhere else there is a lot of open space over the area where Yankee Clipper once stood.

What a difference a year makes; from CGA being on the endangered list in the enthusiast's mind to now Gold Striker and now all of a sudden what the next coaster will be. In terms of space, besides the obvious Invertigarden/GL area, I can see a coaster next to FD where the train used to pass through and fly over Rapids a la a Wingrider, area around the Redwood Amphitheater/pavilion & and even space next to Grizzly/Barney's for a hyper..just wishful thinking of course