TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Man, we have year of the Woodies in 2013. Iron Rattler, Outlaw Run, Gold Striker, White Lightning, and i guess you could consider Flying Turns a wooden type coaster. And im sure there is atleast one more too on its way. Also SOB is being demoed.

Iron Rattler will not be a wooden coaster any more, it will become a steel coaster after the redo.

So your one of those...

I didn't know there was so much Roar hate. I like Roar better than Apocalypse.

New GCI coasters seem to stay lower after the drop and carry more speed, but Roar does that for the last half of the ride. The turn around after the drop might not be the best, but the straight hill after that is a lot of fun, and so is the hill coming out of the 2nd turn around. they may not be super airtime hills but its more airtime than you get on the low and fast turns of Apocalypse (just sit near the back). I also still love that small bump and turn in Roar's tunnel, it's the best part.

I'm glad to see this ride doesn't have the pointless GCI station fly though. This ride was probably designed before they started doing that.

I don't "hate" Roar but I don't like it that much, either. I've been on both Roars and Roar West is in better shape than Roar East (at least for the one time I rode the Maryland version). Perhaps it's the MF trains that make Roar West a better ride than Roar East, but every time I've ridden Roar West it always felt overdue for some track repair. I never had airtime on my Roar rides, Medusa's back seat has more airtime. I haven't been on Superman (SFDK) yet which seems to have much better airtime.

The first drop of Apocalypse is my favorite for a California wood coaster. Perhaps GCI will recreate the Rye "Airplane" some day ...

The speed bump after the first drop on Au13 looks like it will be immediately next to the station, which is similar to a station fly through although probably not as loud for the ride operators.

Yep, this is going to use the same (Polyurethane?) wheels that WODAN used, because Tremors has about the same drop but is 6.3 mph faster than Gold Striker. Though, Gold Striker looks like it just might have a little more airtime than Tremors if it runs close to the simulation speed...

This thing looks INSANE! R.I.P. Pocky.

Seems to carry some serious g's and speed throughout the ride. I'ts like a condensed version of the Voyage. They just took all the good forcefull parts from that coaster and brought it to CGA

Pocky?

Also, this is what I think:

(Could not find smaller version)

Um... The GP comments on the CGA facebook page are absolutely priceless.

A few of my favorites:

" It only has 1 drop, lame"!

" They will never top Grizzly".

" Bring back Invertigo"

"They're just adding more track to The Grizzly"

As awesome as this is and the fact that its actually happening now makes me very anxious to ride this and based on what has been shown so far it looks like a very good ride. Im not going to say its world class or anything, because its not, but it is a great and sorely needed addition to this park that is sure to please and eat up the crowds and what is most important...... it looks like it will be a heck of a lot of fun to ride. Its going to be really interesting going to the park next year and seeing this thing standing there, like "wtf... where did this come from?" 2013 can't get here soon enough. Im also sure I will like it better than Roar.

I'm glad they did away with the station fly-through that was on the original plans. I felt like that was a gimmick that people didn't really care for. The way it goes now allows the track to be lower and have that little airtime hill.

I'd have to say my only disappointment is the cartoony logo with the miner... That said, if that's my only complaint, then there are really no complaints at all. Can't wait for this thing, really excited for the park.

Im just really happy for the park that they are finally getting a coaster and a good one at that! Im really excited to ride it when it opens up next Spring. Also hoping that there is a season pass holder ERT, that would be really nice!

I hope they didn't call that drink "Cactus juice". In a gay bar, it's like a long island iced tea with a bunch of crap in it.

Agree that the park really NEEDS this ride. But watching the POV as an enthusiast, it just made me think, "ahh, another GCI POV that seems to look like every other GCI POV." It's like they're becoming the Vekoma of woodies. (Minus the pain, of course!)

It looks like it should be a really fun ride. I'm just glad to see the park get a substantial addition. Especially when considering that I had this park dead and buried not all that long ago. I'm glad I was wrong.

I'll agree with most on here that this park needed something new. It's been a long time since this park has gotten a coaster and this will bring me back since 1993. With that said, I'm just disappointed I did not see any 90 degree curves! Hopefully this will be the first of many good things to come from cedar fair and start pumping money into this park. Now, how about removing the worst wooden coaster I've ever been on: The Grizzly! I've even been on the Grizzly at King Dominion and that one seems a smoother ride compared to the Great American one.

Had a great time at the Media Unveiling, thanks so much to CGA for their great hospitality. It was great representing the group and meeting new TPR peeps! Now bring on 2013, I can't wait to ride Gold Striker!

101108351_DSC_0941(1024x678).thumb.jpg.a622d917c723c675a763ab5bcbde0503.jpg

The Unveiling of the Banner

267975309_DSC_0958(1024x678).thumb.jpg.ac9ef2e05040ff6bf0dd97792dc231fe.jpg

The Poster Overview

1047081637_DSC_0960(1024x678).thumb.jpg.4ef782c9c0ca327f7dcbd779dc32bb70.jpg

The miniature model

2023817854_DSC_0966(1024x678).thumb.jpg.85d856662fdb6f983be1f9a19faf3d8a.jpg

The new teaser banner

659282278_DSC_0968(1024x678).thumb.jpg.7028fd60d49466ab5f9167a9d3ee257b.jpg

The character...

1827550259_DSC_0975(1024x678).thumb.jpg.42d827a203bc3b71527dfbcfb2d5e670.jpg

Site as it stands currently

249285247_DSC_0989(1024x678).thumb.jpg.aaf8f34ac07edb7985357981c4fca822.jpg

TPR special Star Tower: Elevator Style

1784626692_DSC_0990(1024x678).thumb.jpg.d9cdd91f273d2ec729c640d45d658146.jpg

In awe of the centerpiece...

1814396967_DSC_0993(1024x678).thumb.jpg.5a1787a3f43616586df33ea2c7001bd1.jpg

The "Cool" Table...

1828207546_DSC_0994(1024x678).thumb.jpg.c1c5640b8e7f227e5a871f900db3e432.jpg

Still the "Cool" Table....

327363377_DSC_0999(1024x678).thumb.jpg.6fddaff7b8adc9b90e3844d4796756e9.jpg

Final TPR Group Shot...

1055100592_DSC_0997(1024x678).thumb.jpg.40555af4560ccaf35cce763c464ea905.jpg

Have a golden nugget day!

^^Thanks for sharing! I also had an amazing day and would like to thank CGA and Ryan Davies for letting us be a part of their event! I will have my version of the report (with video) up later this evening with a special bonus trip somewhere afterwards. Got a work day to conquer now that the fun and excitement is over for now...

It's 38 feet (11 meters) taller than Santa Cruz's Giant Dipper, so I doubt it will be slower than that. I don't believe the 55 mph / 88 kph statistic for the Giant Dipper, it's not tall enough to reach 55.

Giant Dipper's speed does vary by a wide margin, but I do believe it reaches 55 mph on a hot day after the ride has been running for at least a few hours. The only place it would reach that speed is at the bottom of the first drop.

It's 38 feet (11 meters) taller than Santa Cruz's Giant Dipper, so I doubt it will be slower than that. I don't believe the 55 mph / 88 kph statistic for the Giant Dipper, it's not tall enough to reach 55.

Giant Dipper's speed does vary by a wide margin, but I do believe it reaches 55 mph on a hot day after the ride has been running for at least a few hours. The only place it would reach that speed is at the bottom of the first drop.

I don't think a ride 38 feet shorter than Gold Striker could be slightly faster. There have been many rides whose owners exaggerate the speed for marketing purposes. My imperfect understanding of the math suggests that Giant Dipper isn't tall enough to reach 55 mph under any condition (unless the chain was running as fast as the lift on Skyrush).

RCDB states the Lake Compounce Wildcat, a ride of similar age that is slightly taller, goes 48 mph. RCDB also lists the San Diego Giant Dipper, a ride almost the same age and height, as supposedly 55 mph. I dob't expect either 55 mph claim will be tested scientifically.

Besides the fact that some hills pass under rather than over, and the route from the station to the lift appears mirrored, it looks pretty much the same.

Yeah there are other smaller changes, but I don't think that old image is a truly accurate representation of what it was going to be at that time anyways.