TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Gold Striker melds together most exciting features of best wooden roller coasters in the world

Official Ride Page: http://www.cagreatamerica.com/goldstriker

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Aug. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- California's Great America will open the tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster in Northern California in the spring of 2013.

High-speed twists, turns, drops, station fly-by and the Old West are the top features of Gold Striker, currently under construction at Northern California's leading thrill park and family destination. The ride will stand 108 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 103 feet at a 50-degree angle. Riders will careen along 3,197 feet of track at speeds up to 54 miles per hour. The ride experience on Gold Striker will last more than two heart-pounding minutes.

"Gold Striker reflects our commitment to providing our guests with the best thrills and entertainment value in the region," California's Great America Vice-President and General Manager Raul Rehnborg said. "This ride was uniquely designed by melding together the highest performing and most exciting features of the very best wooden roller coasters in the world. Everyone who enjoys the thrills of riding a roller coaster will want to experience Gold Striker."

The name of the ride was chosen to recognize the pioneering and adventurous spirit of the California gold-seekers who rushed the area in 1849.

Gold Striker will be located in the Celebration Plaza area of California's Great America and will be the park's eighth roller coaster. The ride will wrap around the park's Star Tower attraction.

Gold Striker is custom designed and built for the topography of California's Great America by Great Coasters International, Inc. (GCI) of Sunbury, Pennsylvania. Two trains will accommodate 24 passengers each (four riders per car and six cars per train) with a capacity of 850 riders per hour. Guests must be at least 48 inches tall to ride.

Those who cannot wait until spring may take a virtual ride on Gold Striker at cagreatamerica.com. Visitors of cagreatamerica.com may also access exclusive Gold Striker updates and features, including virtual ride renderings, ride statistics, construction photos and a live construction Web cam.

California's Great America is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to California's Great America, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six water parks, one indoor water park resort and five hotels, including Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park, Calif. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, Calif. under a management contract.

http://www.cagreatamerica.com/goldstriker

Facts and figures:

* Track length: 3,197 ft

* First drop: 103.3 ft (track height at top of hill minus track height at bottom of first drop)

* Top speed: 53.7 mph

* Ride time: 2 minutes, 30 seconds (measured from station start to station stop)

* Trains: 2 Millennium Flyer trains, 24 riders per train

* Capacity: Approximately 850 pph

gold2.jpg.55cd974d0c0fef0634a38b7cb1de26c7.jpg

gold1.thumb.jpg.1ffe4321a7948ac1120fe0331a4866d5.jpg

gold1.png.289284d1b764622237ffde19710e3b88.png

gold2.png.cde82331121d84ba64d5493c1d02cc8f.png

gold3.png.ef07ff0c5967208a21029ebb38571d2f.png

gold4.png.025c3cbd93316f674d19e1960148ede4.png

gold5.png.c6893bac727f922a2e77889740ea838d.png

SF64536-a.jpg.53f9f1169ad7d2db336c6f9e442f454e.jpg

SF64536-b.jpg.036397167781874151355dd4e8cd35dc.jpg

au13_ridelayout_type.jpg.4a1034ac193c44e173b174c8c1e1b93f.jpg

Ride Features:

* Double-down spiraling first drop

* Sky Tower wrap-around

* 80° banking (found at the “Midway” curve)

* Station fly-by

* 108.2 ft structure height (very top of structure relative to ground level)

* 103.3 ft total elevation change

CalicoSystem.jpg.3161cd9071a39be0eebe895dc6940ee0.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

Had to do a double take on the claims the coaster made. Thought it said tallest and fastest wooden coaster in California. At first I missed the Northern part. I was like "wait a second...." But very clever on CGA's part for advertising. "Our coaster is bigger than the OTHER NorCal woodie"

Also very fitting name with the 49ers coming soon. I can imagine some good promotional material having members of the team there on the media day riding the coaster in uniform.

According to Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_California (from Oregon border through Santa Cruz County)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_California (Monterey County only [on the coast])

edit: I don't think there is any technical official designation of a dividing line between Northern/Central/Southern California. But I think it's generally agreed that Santa Cruz County is a part of Northern California.

Edited by sfmman2000

Ahhhh just what I was waiting for! Really looking forward to Gold Striker...

And on a side note: There is no defining line separating NorCal and SoCal, so arguing its speed clam either way is really rather fruitless... I'm just glad this place is getting what looks like will be a kick butt new coaster

^I think the layout looks pretty cool considering they had to shoe horn it into a small section of the park, look like it has a lot of "classic" little GCI elements mixed in through out which is a good thing. I love the first drop and how it snakes around the sky tower, should be a great addition to a park that seems like it really needed it.