TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

You know, I completely forgot about "potatoes."

About that, when riding Demon (for those who weren't there with us), some of the safety spiels mentioned about removing potatoes (instead of removing glasses/sunglasses). Later in the day over at FD, I was joking around and mentioned about putting our potatoes in the bins when one of the ride attendants mentioned "It made its way over there now too?" It was apparently some tactic to see if people were paying attention, but quite funny if you ask me...felt very TPR-like.

as to your behind the scenes, Stay away from my black staircase!!! i've named it Artie,we've had some good times together. the 29th needs to hurry up so that we can actually talk to guests about that large wood structure being built, as I currently tell guests we are building a time machine.

I hope I'm not the only one just as excited about the football stadium construction in the background of the parking lot photos as I am about the coaster.

You're not. I'll be looking forward to beIng able to watch an NFL game in a stadium that isn't ready to crumble to the ground.

I hope I'm not the only one just as excited about the football stadium construction in the background of the parking lot photos as I am about the coaster.

You're not!

Nice pictures of the construction of the coaster. Looking forward to watching this progress.

You're not. I'll be looking forward to beIng able to watch an NFL game in a stadium that isn't ready to crumble to the ground.

Wait, Candlestick didn't already crumble to the ground?

So is this new coaster basically in Whizzer's old footprint? From what I can tell it is, along with the Hometown Fun Machine area...right? I'm a lot more familiar with this park's Gurnee sibling, so the lack of railroad/Whizzer throws off my bearings a bit.

With the renaissance that the Whizzer has had in Chicago, I do wonder how "the" decision maker in California feels about axing their ride back in the day? Was there similar outrage when they announced the CA version's removal, btw?

So is this new coaster basically in Whizzer's old footprint? From what I can tell it is, along with the Hometown Fun Machine area...right? I'm a lot more familiar with this park's Gurnee sibling, so the lack of railroad/Whizzer throws off my bearings a bit.

With the renaissance that the Whizzer has had in Chicago, I do wonder how "the" decision maker in California feels about axing their ride back in the day? Was there similar outrage when they announced the CA version's removal, btw?

Just going from the Whizzer's Wikipedia page, CGA's Whizzer had quite a few mechanical problems from the outset and then a kid died on it in 1980. My guess is that the ride had some ill will going towards it and probably was not too popular with he public, so when the ride was removed in 1988 there was no one there to stand up for it.

I grew up in the bay area but was only 5 when the ride was removed and not yet tall enough to ride. I was wondering if Whitewater Falls (opened in 1990) uses some of the space Whizzer occupied.

Mechanical problems, a few accidents and a death, lead to its removal. WW sits just past where the final helix of Whizzer was (in one of the construction pics you can see the final helix footers before they got removed and the area dug up). I loved that ride, it was one of the very first roller coasters I ever rode.

Now that I've had some time to look through my photos a little more, and when I saw the 'drumstick' slab I realized I can now play "Connect the Dots" with some of the metal brackets that are now in place, clearly showing some possible paths the coaster will be taking. I decided to draw out the possible paths based on the footers and brackets on the slabs, as well as the trenches over by the construction barrier.

au13layoutnoline.jpg.f3d4cec05c8fac0551bfe4940f76d2d4.jpg

Without the paths

au13layout.jpg.e8f84af3d36c15a5ec32c1fd0db1d730.jpg

After playing "Connect the Dots"

Those who are familiar with the project - has the ride's potential layout changed much from the rendering back from a long while ago?

Those who are familiar with the project - has the ride's potential layout changed much from the rendering back from a long while ago?

From what we have seen so far, the turn around that's being built right now looks completely different from the concept. I'm ok with that too!

The overall layout looks to be pretty similar from back in the day...the Prudential Turn is still the Prudential Turn however it has taken on a more twisted shape as opposed to what originally looked like a fan curve. I'm sure there will still be a lot of variables and elements that may have changed but the overall course so far still appears to be more or less the same idea.

Long time reader of this board, but finally decided to join when I saw that CGA is finally getting a new woodie!

I have been going here since the early 80's, and stopped going when Survivor opened. I finally grew tired of them removing my favorite rides (Tidal Wave, Whizzer), and the removal of the rock work around the 2nd loop of the Demon was also a bummer.

Anyways....

I have VERY high hopes for this ride, and it will get me back to CGA for the first time in many years! Thanks to those that took the pics.

I don't recall a huge uprising with the Whizzer's removal at all. I think for many people around my age, the Whizzer was their first 'real' coaster, as it was a stepping stone up to Turn Of The Century/Demon and the Tidal Wave.

I grew up in San Jose and remember when CGA was Marriott's and they still had my first roller coaster ride ever - Willard's Whizzer.

By the '90s it was just a light rail ride away but I would never go - even with a season pass ( I would make just enough visits to get a return on my investment) and by the time I moved away in '97 there was no draw for me at all.

Even now when I visit friends and family we'll make the 90 minute drive up to SFDK instead of the 10 minute light rail ride to CGA.

However, this will definitely get me to come back to CGA after 15 years. It's pretty exciting.

I have VERY high hopes for this ride, and it will get me back to CGA for the first time in many years! Thanks to those that took the pics.

I don't recall a huge uprising with the Whizzer's removal at all. I think for many people around my age, the Whizzer was their first 'real' coaster, as it was a stepping stone up to Turn Of The Century/Demon and the Tidal Wave.

It's like we were writing the same thing at the same time - see my post below yours.