TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Even a EuroFighter or just something unexpected would be nice. After removing many a star attraction (even the Invertigo was loved by those who tried it), this is what they need to compete.

Also, when I asked a nearby middle school band teacher why their band trip goes there, she replied, "Because the kids like it." So apparently they have a smidge of charm on their hands, at least more than SFDK.

How about Scrap Grizzly and add a Hyper there?

Even though most coaster enthusiasts hate the coaster, it still is very popular with the GP. It would be difficult to cram a hyper in there as there isn't that much space where Grizzly is. Also, Yahoo & the Marriott are right next door and I don't think they'll approve that location.

When the new woodie will be built, it won't be a replacement of Grizzly as WoF & VF both have old woodies there with the new GCI coasters and the old woodies are still there.

So, Grizzly will probably stay in CGA for a long time.

Edited by XYZ

Well, the park needs a claim-to-fame if it wants to get back on it's feet again.

What does CGA have that makes it tic? I'm sure Flight Deck and Vortex are good rides but it needs something to make it known. Something that tells people "Holy crap I GOT to ride that!"

Yeah, it's an odd situation. I'm mostly speculating, but I think CGA pulls in pretty decent attendance numbers in the summer. And the greater San Jose area still loves CGA's "historical" roller coasters and rides (read: nearly all of CGA's rides). And you know why? Because they don't know any better! There's practically no bay area competition for theme parks. Between CGA and SFDK, I would wager that most guests go to both parks over the course of a season. Yeah, some may prefer one park over the other, but the parks are both doing good business. Another point, is that I would consider CGA more of a regional park than a destination. Meaning, that for a theme park, they don't get a high level of tourists visiting the park. Which means they can rest easy with all of the locals who continue to patronize the park in the summer no matter if a new ride is added.

It's the same reason why Raging Water San Jose went almost 10 years without adding a new slide. Because it's the only water park in the area. Yes, it sucks for anyone who has been to any other water park across the country and realizes what a dump it is, but for the park visitors, they don't know any better! They've been going there for years and don't have anything better to compare it to. The park is still hitting the marks, so why put more capital into it?

^I've always visioned both SFDK and CGA more of parks geared towards those of us in the area. Not that this should be an excuse to skimp out on adding attractions. It probably wouldn't hurt to throw at least 1 gimmick/must ride if they want to extend their market even just a little bit beyond the bay area/northern CA.

With this said, the question remains: Will CGA see a hyper? Honestly, I don't see it anytime soon but I do see the park getting some more TLC pumped into it now that the 49er hurdle's been jumped over. I wouldn't say that we will see another coaster come in the following year after Au13, but maybe a flat ride...and maybe a few years down the road perhaps maybe another coaster. In the mean time, I'm excited for Au13...it's going to be a huge boost for the park, and definitely not a coaster that can be jacked from us and relocated elsewhere (like Stealth and Invertigo).

I'm just relieved we're finally getting a new ride, a major coaster that's long overdue. I guess I'm just so used to seeing what the new attraction would be every year being a passholder since '95, plus the 4 seasons working there, and then after getting nothing from '09-'12 (I don't count Planet Snoopy), it's just a big relief.

How about Scrap Grizzly and add a Hyper there?

Even though most coaster enthusiasts hate the coaster, it still is very popular with the GP. It would be difficult to cram a hyper in there as there isn't that much space where Grizzly is. Also, Yahoo & the Marriott are right next door and I don't think they'll approve that location.

When the new woodie will be built, it won't be a replacement of Grizzly as WoF & VF both have old woodies there with the new GCI coasters and the old woodies are still there.

So, Grizzly will probably stay in CGA for a long time.

I was talking about going through Demon where the train used to go through and then a U-Turn around Whitewater Falls. I'm sure a sand-filled B&M Hyper coaster will keep Marriott!! and yahoo quiet.

CGA is going to keep Grizzly, strictly because Grizzly is a family ride. It is already one of Cedar Fair's tamest woodies; yet, they retrack it every offseason. This is because they want to keep it tame. There are several other CF coasters that need some love (Ghostrider is absolutley horrendous, now).

The only possibility for Grizzly being removed would be if popularity significantly drops once Au13 opens, but even this does happen, the park will probably still keep it for reasons listed above.

Grizzly is probably the least intense wood coaster I have ridden, even less so than the kiddie woodies at KD and Carowinds (actually, these coasters, particularly the Carowinds one, are surprisingly fun rides! Way more fun than Grizzly)

I grew up in the Sacramento area and while being a coaster enthusiast, I think I have only ever been to this park twice (once as an adult). SFDK is just closer and better in my opinion, and CGA has removed some of the better reasons to go there.

This new woodie will be a nice addition and I know we don't know everything about it and its features, but it is essentially a class of coaster that SFDK has had for over 10 years now.

Hopefully things continue at CGA, and with the way things looks for SFDK (no space), maybe it will be the one looking old and outdated in the near future.

Since there aren't any Intamin mega-lites in the US. I think CGA would be the perfect place for the 1st US mega lite. They're awesome rides, and they don't take up to much space. I think if one was put in CGA, they could remove Vortex and use the old Tidal Wave station.

1666041083_Screenshot2012-08-08at1_49_46AM.thumb.png.f4e0b4258c71b1c2203933c0652a9609.png

Aren't Mega Lites supposed to be too crazy for the lawsuit-happy American crowd? If that's really the case, CGA probably wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for one of these rides. Though you never know, since I305 does exist...

Aren't Mega Lites supposed to be too crazy for the lawsuit-happy American crowd? If that's really the case, CGA probably wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for one of these rides. Though you never know, since I305 does exist...

I'm pretty sure that lawsuit this is the same as your user name, an Urban Legend (like what I did there? ). With rides like El Toro, Maverick, I305, and so on, a Mega Lite could easily be built in the US. It's just finding a park willing to buy one. Most parks in the US don't see the point in buying a ride unless it break some record or can be advertised as one of a kind (or in the case of any Vekoma ride, it's cheap).

Since there aren't any Intamin mega-lites in the US. I think CGA would be the perfect place for the 1st US mega lite. They're awesome rides, and they don't take up to much space. I think if one was put in CGA, they could remove Vortex and use the old Tidal Wave station.

I'm all for a Mega Lite, but CGA doesn't need to lose more coasters, even if it's Vortex. They should fill in some spaces they have already like Invetigo's spot. Then, once the park is running on all cylanders, they can start swapping out old rides for newer ones. As much as I'm excited about Au13, I still feel like the park is lacking. I think that's why I'm so excited, Au13 feel like the first step towards CGA's old glory.

Might I ask why a Mega-Lite would cause lawsuits? Sorry, its just that I have a hard time believing that a modern, well built, NON Vekoma coaster would hurt....

I don't buy the "lawsuit" argument, either. There have been deaths and lawsuits over larger, equally intense rides (for example, Superman/Ride of Steel at Darian Lake), but that hasn't stopped U.S. parks from building them.

So back to the Slab vs. Footer debate, I wanted to know the answer so I sent the below question to GCI on their Facebook.

Hey GCII, A lot of coaster enthusiasts are curious about the difference between one big concrete slab vs. individual footers under your rides. It's been noticed that the slab method is being used more but we still see individual footers on rides as well. We all have our theories as to why, but can you guys explain why you use the different methods?

They replied with this:

There are many reasons to consider when to use each, but what it basically comes down to is what is simplest, given the site, terrain, and soil conditions.

A slab foundation will typically be used if the terrain is flat or nearly flat. Slabs tend to be simpler to construct/form, and they are especially helpful where we have a lot of structure anchoring close together. The soil conditions will sometimes indicate that a slab is better suited, but that is not as common.

The individual footers you see are actually connected underground with what we call "strip footings" or "grade beams". You will see these primarily when the ground is not as flat and it is impractical (or impossible) to use a slab foundation.

Aesthetics comes into play sometimes, too, but that is not typically a major factor.

So it looks like we were on the right track with the terrain being the issue as well as the ease to install many supports in a small area. Very cool that they replied by the way. I love to see companies that are willing to respond to questions from fans like this.

That does answer a lot of questions without all of us going into self-made engineers and making claims as to what's going on. I'm definitely glad we were all on the right track!

Looking at the permit center page, some of what I'm seeing on there is making more sense. It was noted about a "Zone 3" and "Superstructure". From what I saw this past weekend, I've come to the conclusion that "Zone 3" is their terminology for what we know as the "Curly Fry/Prudential Turn/Onion Ring." Zone 2 must be the so-called "Drumstick" slab. With these said, I am going to speculate that perhaps Zone 1 will take place at or near the star tower, possibly being the foundation for the first drop and station flyby element. Don't quote me on all of this though, just hypothesizing based on what I'm seeing (and basing my guesses from the 2008 rendering that appears to be slightly different now).

Get your last rides in on Rue le Dodge before it closes for its Carnevil transformation: On CGA's site, it says the ride will close Monday for the season.

The Rapids and Barney Oldfield close Sept. 4.

Why so early for Rue le Dodge? I vaguely remember it closing in September last season. Maybe Carnevil's getting an expansion?

http://www.cagreatamerica.com/things-to-do/family-rides#panel1-3

Carnevil has always closed earlier than the other 2 for haunt preparation. I believe because of it use of 100% wooden walls which takes time to assemble together, versus Werewolf Canyon and Cornstalkers which use a lot of other elements that do not take as long to assemble. That's just my speculation as to why that happens.

I'm glad I got my RLD riding in last weekend, glad that I still have time to hit up the Rapids. It's hard to believe we're going to be going into Haunt mode real soon.

Also I believe this coming week is it for full time op before we go into weekend only mode. School is right around the corner too for those who are still in school.

^ Yay school! I can start going to parks again (I'm not a fan of crowds, especially when they are punk teens that destroy everything).

Maybe I'll go to Haunt this year, I haven't been since 2008. I'm not overly fond of Halloween Events *ducks* so i don't go often. They are awesome events, just not my thing.

I'm looking forward to what maybe those slower September Sundays. However, the park's been pretty busy over the course of the season so we shall see. Perhaps less middle school GP... Those are the worst type of people to face as they just don't care to have respect (going as far as just pushing through to cut) or pride in themselves... See line jumping story back a few pages on my TR.

Even if you aren't a fan of Halloween events, I'd definitely check out Haunt this year. It's improved quite a bit since '08, though it's still growing.

^Yeah, I went on pre-summer Fridays a couple times and had great luck with mostly walk-ons. I was able to do all the coaster and a few flats in 2 hours and then headed to Gilroy for some unsuccessful credit whoring (Quicksilver was down for the day and still eludes my count).

I went to CGA yesterday, and saw the vertical construction of Au13 for the first time. Pictures really don't do it justice, this thing is huge! The Prudential Turn is coming along, another structure has been placed and more are laying on the ground waiting to be raised. Also, another cement slab is being prepared (I'm going to call it "The Donut").

I'm a bit confused as to where Club Blood will finish at, but I have a theory (see picture).

The building for the new maze is going well. It looks like they have the basic structure finished, and are now putting up the siding. It's a lot bigger than I expected, slightly smaller than Rue le Dodge.

It was busy in terms of crowds, but a little thinner than usual. I expect the crowds to start dying off by next week with school starting back up.

Random note: I got my Barney Oldfield ride in for the season! There was no one waiting in line in the morning.

tprcgawoodencoaster1.jpg.7ea3c228a7a4ddef11b21c8c02f280c9.jpg

Notice the structures on the ground and the preparation for another slab.

tprcgawoodencoaster2.jpg.e103b2f2c3b9d151d2cda6f940066170.jpg

This looks like where Club Blood will end up at. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that cement path alongside the doors looks new. Later in the day, there were a couple of workers digging around that area. Also, it looks like they have a stack of maze walls sitting there.