TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Can someone explain why they are adding the giant concrete pads? Is the soil not strong enough to hold footers or is there some state regulation? I don't know that I have ever seen huge concrete pads like that under a coaster.

This is Cedar Fair, unless a problem comes up during testing, this coaster should be open by the first day of the season.

I 100% agree with this... I don't see why they would have a problem opening this with the park next spring when it re-opens for 2013... I wonder if they will have a season pass preview day!?!??? How awesome would that be! Maybe wishful thinking, but this coaster is absolutely going to prompt me to buy a season pass to the park that is 10 min. from my house for the first time in something like a decade! In the past 5-ish years I have ONLY gone for Haunt [the last 2 or 3 seasons].

Needless to say, I can't wait!

I remember some lady conducting interviews at the park was informing me that the ride would be open Memorial Day Weekend. How much she knew was beyond me. Reading GCI's site, their projects roughly take about 10 months, according to their FAQ:

How long does it take to build a roller coaster?

Our rides can typically be designed and built within a 10-month period, but often take longer due to permitting and other such procedures.

Though ground work did start late May, it could very well be ready to greet us opening day next year.

CGA has had a good record of opening their new rides on opening day, plus since all the permits were all cleared by April and the design was ready long before all the roadblocks, with modifications of course to suit all parties, March 2013 should be the opening date.

Can someone explain why they are adding the giant concrete pads? Is the soil not strong enough to hold footers or is there some state regulation? I don't know that I have ever seen huge concrete pads like that under a coaster.

Someone is very welcome to correct me if I'm seeing this wrong, but I was under the impression that the concrete slabs were simply done for ease of construction on woodies that are mostly on flat ground (as many GCIs are). One giant slab with steel connecting plates drilled into in a thousand different places is a lot easier to pour than a thousand individual small footers. Anyone care to confirm or refute?

Someone is very welcome to correct me if I'm seeing this wrong, but I was under the impression that the concrete slabs were simply done for ease of construction on woodies that are mostly on flat ground (as many GCIs are). One giant slab with steel connecting plates drilled into in a thousand different places is a lot easier to pour than a thousand individual small footers. Anyone care to confirm or refute?

I honestly don't know the answer but this sounds like a logical explanation to me. Decreases the construction time which saves money.

Is it also more stable this way?

Is it also more stable this way?

I would assume so, but that could be just me.

It does indeed make it more stable, but with this coaster they are doing a combination of footer and slabs. Im not really sure why they didn't use one giant slab, my only guess is that they could work on the coaster at different stages faster and not have to wait forever for the concrete to cure.

I remember some lady conducting interviews at the park was informing me that the ride would be open Memorial Day Weekend. How much she knew was beyond me. Reading GCI's site, their projects roughly take about 10 months, according to their FAQ:
How long does it take to build a roller coaster?

Our rides can typically be designed and built within a 10-month period, but often take longer due to permitting and other such procedures.

Though ground work did start late May, it could very well be ready to greet us opening day next year.

I think construction is going to be much faster then we expect, like S:UF

It does indeed make it more stable, but with this coaster they are doing a combination of footer and slabs. I'm not really sure why they didn't use one giant slab, my only guess is that they could work on the coaster at different stages faster and not have to wait forever for the concrete to cure.

I think this also has to do with the level of the ground. The "Prudential Turn" sits much higher than the "drumstick" pad (which I hear from one of my sources that it's now cemented in). The footers joining the 2 pads appear to be in a stair-shape. SFMM's Apocalypse is pretty much on level ground therefore probably can be built on 1 big pad.

I was checking out Knight Valley's GCI terrain coaster and noticed some similarities in the footer setup:

While it still appears to be 1 solid slab it is not flat due to the slope it sits on. This is just a guess/observation.

Something similar appears to be showing up with this, between the pads:

img_5701.jpg

I was thinking about the slab setup earlier and before reading this thread, I was guessing that maybe it's quicker/more cost-efficient to do the slab setup. Again, just a guess. And also guessing because we're in earth quake country would be another reason why.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

CGA is finally getting some love..for years this has been Cedar Fair's most neglected park...God, If owned Cedar Fair, before I even THINK of bringing a new ride to Cedar Point, I'd give Great America a complete facelift. And by "facelift" I mean 220 ft tall 85mph Intamin Hyper, 7 inversion B&M Wing Rider, better scenery, SPOTLESS paths.

I live no where near CGA, but I've always wanted to go there. I always saw potential in that place.

I think with the stadium issue all behind us now, I see the park finally getting the attention it deserves and the city finally waking up and not siding with the whiny neighbors for once, in regards to the the new lease agreements & incentives. Though there will always be height limitations with the airport which is inevitable, there's always a way around it, if they want it they'll find a way to build it.

Well, the park needs a claim-to-fame if it wants to get back on it's feet again.

King's Dominion has both Volcano and Intimidator

Cedar Point has Maverick, TTD, Millenium Force and Magnum

Dorney has Steel Force

Valleyfair has Wild Thing

King's Island has Beast and Diamondback

Knotts has Pony Express, Xcelerator, and Silver Bullet

What does CGA have that makes it tic? I'm sure Flight Deck and Vortex are good rides but it needs something to make it known. Somthing that tells people "Holy crap I GOT to ride that!"

Yes! CGA does need a hyper. It probably would be a B&M since they are generally a little cheaper and CF built more B&M hypers/gigas in recent years than Intamin hypers/gigas. Though, I severly doubt this will come to CGA in the near future and I think that there is more of a chance of Knott's getting an Intamin Giga than CGA getting a hyper.

I used to live in the South Bay and my friends there would rather drive over an hour to SFDK then drive 15 minutes to CGA because of lack of thrills. If a hyper gets built in CGA, it would draw all of the Bay Area there.

Also, if a hyper does get built in CGA, there's a very high chance that it will be the best coaster in California.

EDIT: Some of you might remember me posting this picture of what a hyper could look like at CGA: